Braided RCA interconnect question
Jul 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zodduska

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm going to build a 4' 12 wire, 22awg silver plated copper RCA to TS interconnect for my system and was wondering if there is any pros and cons to having it all in one flat braid with a split vs. two separate 6 wire cables.

aesthetically I would rather have it be one 12 wire braid.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 10
The advantage to 2 separate braids is that you will get better channel separation. one braid looks better as you say.

Either way, with that many conductors of that size you will get lots of parallel capacitance. If you consider that an advantage you have found it!

if you are going to make a cable like this, I would build it flat. At least it will look good.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 10
I see no reason to use more conductors than you need. If you think the wire is too thin (which it's not, no matter how thin it is), use bigger wire.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see no reason to use more conductors than you need. If you think the wire is too thin (which it's not, no matter how thin it is), use bigger wire.

QFT.
I use 41ga signal wire at home, its sweet although fragile.

a 30ga IC works well for portable applications.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the advice guys. Any suggestions on what would be the best configuration for the cable based on 22awg spc sound wise? #of conductors etc.

Im not looking for portability as this interconnect is going from my DAC to AMP at home. I also have some starquad and techflex on the way if that would be better suited to this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either way, with that many conductors of that size you will get lots of parallel capacitance. If you consider that an advantage you have found it!

my sarcasm detector is going off
evil_smiley.gif

I'm really new to cable building and diy in general, sorry for my ignorance.
redface.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice guys. Any suggestions on what would be the best configuration for the cable based on 22awg spc sound wise? #of conductors etc.

for a portable:
I do prefer thinnner wires. 24 is good for almost anything but full body weight, and 26/28 are still strong enough for a gooooood tug.

I would go one strand each signal, 2 grounds. A simple round braid for about 3.5ft, and then twisted for the last bit.
Quote:

Im not looking for portability as this interconnect is going from my DAC to AMP at home. I also have some starquad and techflex on the way if that would be better suited to this.

I think you can build something better than starquad if you dont need the shield, but they are both solid options.
Quote:

my sarcasm detector is going off
evil_smiley.gif

I'm really new to cable building and diy in general, sorry for my ignorance.
redface.gif

yeppo.

parallel capacatance is BAD BAD BAD in a source level interconnect. It is not as much of a problem with SS sources where the output impedance of the source is generally low, but when the output impedance rises (as in tube gear, and some SS) the capacatance forms a low-pass filter. you loose the highs, and dynamics.

FWIW, the cable design you describe with many separate strands braided together is very good for a speaker cable. Here the capacatance is not as important as the inductance of the cable.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 10
I think I did notice the capacitance with a practice cable I built last night, an 8 conductor flat braid 22awg radioshack copper interconnect, the highs seemed dulled a bit compared to the ProCo cable I have been using.

Thanks for the advise nikongod.
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go one strand each signal, 2 grounds. A simple round braid for about 3.5ft, and then twisted for the last bit.

I took your advise and here is the finished cable:
1005331hj6.jpg

It sounds great, thanks again!
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks Lil' Knight, it means a lot coming from a master cable craftsman.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back