Brahms Symphonies and Concerti
Oct 17, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #243 of 262
Anyone checked out the new Rattle Brahms set? Been a while, and I have a hit or miss relationship with Rattle.

Scott

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #244 of 262
Attended Rattle and the BPO performing Brahms 1st Symphony last night at Carnegie Hall. Live music is always just so amazing. The sound of the BPO is so impressively smooth, 130 musicians acting as one, and the power of the sound they can create is quite exhilarating. I now must purchase the CD. Looking forward to the 3rd and 4th on Friday evening.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #245 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidNY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Attended Rattle and the BPO performing Brahms 1st Symphony last night at Carnegie Hall. Live music is always just so amazing. The sound of the BPO is so impressively smooth, 130 musicians acting as one, and the power of the sound they can create is quite exhilarating. I now must purchase the CD. Looking forward to the 3rd and 4th on Friday evening.

I...ENVY...you...

pianto2.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #247 of 262
Yes indeed they are. And Rattle is -- in my opinion -- one of the most over-rated conductors out there. If there was an attraction, it's the Berlin Philharmonic. But why, oh why, do these great orchestras go on tour and play Brahms? Like it's never played by anyone! Lorin Maazel did the same thing with the Bavarian orchestra a few years ago -- another slog through the Brahms symphonies. Sure, they're great -- but there's a lot of other music that's more interesting. I was fortunate to hear the BPO with von Karajan doing Richard Strauss on tour. Now that was a great program!

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #248 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone checked out the new Rattle Brahms set? Been a while, and I have a hit or miss relationship with Rattle.

Scott

I bought the set a while ago. Symphonies 1 and 3 are pretty good and the 4 is OK (I prefer the Kleiber/VPO version).

I don't like his Beethoven's but this one is fine.

I am hoping to get my hands on Klemperer's EMI set soon.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #249 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have any symphonies near you? Even lesser symphonies than the BPO are enjoyable to watch.

Yes I listen to our local SO whenever I can and I enjoy it. But being able to go on a friday evening to see the BPO is a privilege!

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #251 of 262
Dec 7, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #252 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a huge fan of Rattle, but any Brahms by Berlin is usually good.

Any good versions of the Double Concerto?

I saw Janine Jansen and Alisa Weilerstein perform the Double with the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) and Hans Graf earlier this year. Amazing performances.

My favorite recorded performance right now is Julia Fischer and Daniel Muller-Schott. Specifically their choices of tempi and bowing throughout are vibrant and convey the sense of the piece better than other versions I've heard. I also like Vadim Repin/Truls Mork's version. I do not like Anne Sophie Mutter's version. If I recall correctly, among many minor things, they take the Adagio too fast and the third movement too non troppo (heh).

Joshua Bell performed the violin concerto a couple of weeks ago at the BSO. The concert reports are linked on that page, if anyone's interested. In short, I really loved his Adagio as well as his cadenza in the first movement.

My favorite recorded version right now is Hilary Hahn's, along with Heifetz's with the Chicago Symphony and Fritz Reiner.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #253 of 262
I love Bernstein's version of the 1st (and other 3) Brahms symphony

You might want to consider the 4 hand piano version, which gives IMO a very interesting insight in structure and instrumentation

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #254 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Joshua Bell performed the violin concerto a couple of weeks ago at the BSO. The concert reports are linked on that page, if anyone's interested. In short, I really loved his Adagio as well as his cadenza in the first movement.

My favorite recorded version right now is Hilary Hahn's, along with Heifetz's with the Chicago Symphony and Fritz Reiner.

I have both recordings (Hahn and Heifeitz), and indeed they are very good. Also saw Joshua Bell performing the work which I enjoyed tremendously. I never really cared for any of his recordings, but his live performances are outstanding. Hahn has matured well over the years and I thought her Bach Concerto recordings were one of the best classical albums that have come out in the past decade.

Anne Sophie Mutter seems to be on a downward spiral; some of her more recent recordings (e.g. Tchaikovsky / Korngold) were (to me at least) just terrible. She takes too many liberties with the score with the end result sounding too affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back