Brahms Symphonies and Concerti
Jun 5, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #227 of 262
For complete collection, Istvan Bogar & Budapest Symphony Orchestra @ Naxos is a very good bet.
The orchestra is ok, the recording is too warm.
But the music is just right, not boring like some others (e.g. Abbado).

Nowadays I listen to the two pianos version more though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more question, I am looking for some Hungarian Dances, does anyone have some recommendations?

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #228 of 262
For Symphony No.4
Stokowski & New Philharmonia Orchestra Live
Amazon.com: Stokowski Conducts Klemperer, Vaughan Williams, Ravel, Brahms, Novácek: Johannes Brahms, Otto Klemperer, Ottokar Novacek, Maurice Ravel, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Leopold Stokowski, London Symphony Orchestra, New Philharmonia Orchestra: Mus

Very lively, the new release from the BBC Legend really get the recording right.
The old transfer from BBC is a lively performance in an empty box.
Although I love the feeling of fighting hard in vain....

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #229 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be interested in hearing people's opinions on Brahms recordings. I would like to get a new recording of the Violin Concerto and would like some input.

As far as symphonies and piano concerti, what can I say, I am a Szell man and own recordings with him conducting the Cleveland Orchestra. They are fantastic although I have no other recordings for comparison.

By the way, I am finding that I am liking ADD recordings from the 60's and 70's more than modern digital recordings. I feel like the players are up close and I can hear everything clearly. Anybody else think this?

Cheers,
dshea

I bought Joshua Bell's collection for violin concerto's recently.
I do like them. I love older recordings too, but the quality of the recordings themselves are just not as good as recent digital recordings.
By the way, I am sure you guys noticed they played the 3rd movement Brahms violin concerto at the end of the movie "there will be blood" as the credits were rolling.....

Amazon.com: joshua bell brahms

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #230 of 262
Just go to your local library and peruse the classical music selections ... big city libraries are obviously going to have more stuff .... I do like some Brahms ... I saw Joshua Bell play with the Pittsburgh Symphony and - WOW!@!!@@!@~~~~

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #231 of 262
Heads up, Brahms lovers!

Emi is issuing a live set of all four symphonies by Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic on September 7. The marketing guys at Emi have even put up a dedicated minisite (Simon Rattle | Complete symphonies of Johannes Brahms) with audio clips and a quite interesting "making of" video to celebrate the occasion. Based on the clips, this might just be the modern set to own, and I am seriously considering getting myself a copy... Anyone else joining in?

Sep 3, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #233 of 262
If anyone lives in the LA area, Rattle and Berlin will be there in November doing Brahms live. I'm salivating at going on the 23rd when they do the First Symphony and the Schoenberg arrangement of the g minor quartet. But I won't be buying any more Brahms sets in standard cd format. I already have 20, including all of the classic, must-have sets. Too bad EMI won't do SACD, then I might be interested.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #234 of 262
what about ein deutsches requiem? the klemperer is classic, but i also like the abbado.

50808.JPG

what is the best/your favorite version?

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #235 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone lives in the LA area, Rattle and Berlin will be there in November doing Brahms live. I'm salivating at going on the 23rd when they do the First Symphony and the Schoenberg arrangement of the g minor quartet. But I won't be buying any more Brahms sets in standard cd format. I already have 20, including all of the classic, must-have sets. Too bad EMI won't do SACD, then I might be interested.

at Disney?

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #237 of 262
The Rattle version of the Brahms Requiem is one of my favorites - it doesn't dawdle, it's got emotion without being overly sentimental, and it's beautiful without being too solemn. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the symphonies, but I'd be very surprised if he displaced Jochum, Szell, Dorati, or Toscanini from my top spots.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #238 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Rattle version of the Brahms Requiem is one of my favorites - it doesn't dawdle, it's got emotion without being overly sentimental, and it's beautiful without being too solemn. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the symphonies, but I'd be very surprised if he displaced Jochum, Szell, Dorati, or Toscanini from my top spots.

Berlin has got an awesome sound--rich, lush, powerful--and I expect this to be an excellent set. I can't wait to compare this to my current favorites (Abbado / Berlin and Jochum / London Philharmonic).

By the way, has anybody tried this Berlin Digital Concert Hall idea? You can watch live concerts, and have access to previously-recorded live concerts. Great sound, HD video, and an interesting idea

Sep 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #240 of 262
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Rattle version of the Brahms Requiem is one of my favorites - it doesn't dawdle, it's got emotion without being overly sentimental, and it's beautiful without being too solemn.

Put and order in for used Rattle/EMI as well as Lehmann/DG Originals
Sorry have not heard the Abbado Requiem, his symphonies are pretty good but I like Tyson's versions better especially Dorati/Mercury

315pBDBROBL._SL500_AA182_.jpg
41%2BjhD6ei8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

To round out yor requiem collections don't forget the Gardiner/Phillips for a fresh hybrid HIP sound offers some new insights, cheap used

41E4MXVAA4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back