Brahms' Piano Quintet - Your Favorite Recording?
Jun 23, 2009 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FinnishFlash

Head-Fier
I've recently been building up a basic collection of Brahms' chamber music, trying to find - if not a definite recording - at least a "keeper" library recording of each work that will satisfy in the long run. Turning to the great piano quintet, I find (as obviously is often is the case with great works) that opinions as to top recommendations seem to differ quite a bit. I have read some very good things about the recent Andsnes/Artemis Quartet and Fleischer/Emerson Quartet recordings, but also tried and tested recordings by Pollini/ Quartetto Italiano and Serkin/ Budapest String Quartet seem do well in the competition. Having found the views of this esteemed auditorium very reliable in the past, I am curious to hear about your recommendations. If you were to recommend only one recording of the piano quintet, which would that be?

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Jun 26, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks gilency for the endorsement, that Emerson/Fleischer recording indeed looks tempting. Anyone else got any recommendations?

PS. I am pleased to hear your wife and son enjoyed Finland, summer is indeed the time of the year to visit this country!

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Takacs Quartet and Stephen Hough really does it for me. I think it's even better than the Emerson/Fleisher recording, which is saying a lot.

034571175515.png

Feb 8, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 8
I personally prefer  Bartok Quartet + Dezso Ranki, 1976 (I 've got the vinyl version edited by Hungaroton, but there is a CD available, too). I think they got closest to my image of the "romantic Brahms" in the Austro-Hungarian version. But maybe because this recalls my youth...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back