Boy bags GIANT wild hog!
May 29, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #62 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That says it all. Nice mentality for an 11 year old to have. His parents are doing a terrific job. It's sickening.

In your opinion...
plainface.gif

You have to realise there's not a lot of things to do living in rural areas. You invent a lot of things to do as well as have outdoor adventures. In many areas it's considered sort of a rite-of-passage as far as the subject of hunting goes. If they're responsible hunters then I don't have a problem with it... trophy head and all.

May 29, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #63 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your opinion...
plainface.gif

You have to realise there's not a lot of things to do living in rural areas. You invent a lot of things to do as well as have outdoor adventures. In many areas it's considered sort of a rite-of-passage as far as the subject of hunting goes. If they're responsible hunters then I don't have a problem with it... trophy head and all.

There are many outdoor adventures one can have that do not include killing animals purely for fun. What's responsible? Kill anything as long as it isn't human? Ridiculous, but I am not at all surprised people think like that.

May 29, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #64 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many outdoor adventures one can have that do not include killing animals purely for fun. What's responsible? Kill anything as long as it isn't human? Ridiculous, but I am not at all surprised people think like that.

I'm not defending it... I've just grown up with a lot of kids who have hunted all their lives.

The ones that care get really pissed at the ones who do it for just a trophy mount and leave the carcass in the field. I personally can't think of one hunter I know that doesn't try to utilize all of the kill.

I love to shoot firearms... but I don't have it in me to hunt.

May 29, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen the hog farms? Pigs can't even turn around in their little cages where they spend their lifetime, at least this huge pig had a pretty good life being well fed and roaming where ever it wanted.

I have been to one of these once..

they have a bunch of treadmills, stair climbers, bicycles with only one wheel, etc..

not sure what you consider to be small but the cage at this hog farm was Olympic size..
all they did was swim..

wait..
blink.gif

May 30, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #66 of 71
I think the photo is "photoshopped". I haven't seen anything to dispute the authenticity of the picture, but....

To the "poor pig" crowd.... get a grip.... I'm not a hunter, but I don't begrudge those that are. I'll buy my bacon at the grocery store, but have eaten some that my hunter friends have killed fresh....
smily_headphones1.gif

hmmmm.....bacon!

Jun 2, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #67 of 71
Pig Was a Monster, but He Wasn't Wild
By Associated Press

1 hour ago

FRUITHURST, Ala. - The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being hunted and killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred. The not-so-wild pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 150-acre fenced area, the animal's former owner said.

Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star in a story Friday that he bought the 6-week-old pig in December 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and that they sold it after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm.

"I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig," Rhonda Blissitt said.

Jamison Stone shot the huge hog during what he and his father described as a three-hour chase. They said it was more than 1,000 pounds and 9 feet long; if anything, it looked even bigger in a now-famous photo of the hunter and the hunted.

Mike Stone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Friday that he had been under the impression that the hog was wild, not farm-raised.

Telephone messages left Friday with Eddy Borden, the owner of Lost Creek Plantation, were not immediately returned.

Stone said state wildlife officials told him that it is not unusual for hunting preserves to buy farm-raised hogs and that the hogs are considered feral once they are released.

Stone said he and his son met Blissitt on Friday morning to get more details about the hog. Blissitt said that he had about 15 hogs and decided to sell them for slaughter, but that no one would buy that particular animal because it was too big for slaughter or breeding, Stone said.

Blissitt said that the pig had become a nuisance and that visitors were often frightened by it, Stone said.

"He was nice enough to tell my son that the pig was too big and needed killing," Stone said. "He shook Jamison's hand and said he did not kill the family pet."

The Blissitts said they didn't know the hog that was hunted was Fred until they were contacted by a game warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. The agency determined that no laws were violated in the hunt.

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when he learned that some thought the photo of Fred was doctored.

"That was a big hog," he said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #69 of 71
"Blissitt said that he had about 15 hogs and decided to sell them for slaughter, but that no one would buy that particular animal because it was too big for slaughter or breeding, Stone said.

Blissitt said that the pig had become a nuisance and that visitors were often frightened by it, Stone said.

"He was nice enough to tell my son that the pig was too big and needed killing," Stone said. "He shook Jamison's hand and said he did not kill the family pet."

That was decent of the farmer. I'm sure the kid is getting all kinds of backlash about it. You have to realize that farmers have a completely different outlook on animals. They are raised to be killed and eaten. They're not particuarlly sentimental about that. Again, the "poor pig" people should get a grip. I don't hunt, but I also think it's a completely valid thing for men to do for sport. Yeah, I even feel bad unhooking a fish on my line (I do fish), but I'm not shedding any tears or going to condemn someone for shooting a deer - whether its for meat or for a trophy.

Jun 4, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #70 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Blissitt said that he had about 15 hogs and decided to sell them for slaughter, but that no one would buy that particular animal because it was too big for slaughter or breeding, Stone said.

That was decent of the farmer. I'm sure the kid is getting all kinds of backlash about it. You have to realize that farmers have a completely different outlook on animals. They are raised to be killed and eaten. They're not particuarlly sentimental about that. Again, the "poor pig" people should get a grip. I don't hunt, but I also think it's a completely valid thing for men to do for sport. Yeah, I even feel bad unhooking a fish on my line (I do fish), but I'm not shedding any tears or going to condemn someone for shooting a deer - whether its for meat or for a trophy.

I wonder if it would make "good eating"!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back