box from grado... had a box from grado in it!
Apr 6, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #61 of 91
What you really need to be careful of is the upgraditus bugs that hitch a ride in the pizza boxes.

Really nasty critters!!

May 31, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting back (way back) to the sand ideas, might I suggest that before you shell out the big bucks for rare black sand from Antarctica, try silica gel. I find the flex the beads provide really help my Grados sound their best. Of course, YMMV-EIYTTTTTTSFWR (Especially if you're the type to take this thread seriously for whatever reason).

And to those who don't already know this now-famous setup, Grados are at the height of comfort and sonic excellence when you wear the drivers backwards, pads out, and paying special attention to keep the box under a fitted shirt @ 76.8 degrees (accurate to within one one-thousandth).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kramer's DIY sand mod. You'll need a groundspoon though (not sure what these are called in the US). Using the groundspoon, create a cavity in the ground in which the box will be placed. After that, perform Kramer's Osmosis Mod on the box, so that it's inside the cavity. Fill the cavity with sand using the groundspoon.

Standing back now, cast +1000 Sand Of The Infinite That Secures Holes in the Ground But On The Down Side Startles Sand People Somewhat. At this point I should tell you that you have probably scared away the sand people, but they will return - and in greater numbers. Casting the SOTIT****GBOTDSSSPS spell will help protect your box from being discovered and embarrass you into admitting you received a $1000 pair of headphones in a frickin pizza box.

So anyway, after 1000 years, in a future life where you are an archaeologist, retrieve the box. The mod should be complete by then, and you can bask in the "night and day" difference that only 1 in 10000 people can hear. I would love tell you the difference this mod makes, but 1000 years into the future Audiophiles will have battled down to the final two, and they will only use words that nobody else understands, like "sheissentrebletasticman94", to describe sound. When the time comes, the Audiophiles will feel an irresistable urge to assemble at The Gathering, making sure to bring cheese and wine, where they will hurl abstract verbs at each other in the struggle to become The One True Audiophile. Jahn will be there, and his post count will have exceeded infinity, which will anger God, but God will let it slide because Jahn will loan him his PS-1s.

Can you tell I'm procrastinating?
tongue.gif

May 31, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #65 of 91
hmmm, if Jahn reaches infinity posts, then he'll have to ask the question to the answer of life the universe and everything, which of course we all know is 42. Just because I am a prophet of the owner of life, the universe and everything [GrODo], I will predict that the question will be how many recables and mods does the Headphone have to go through before reaching neutrality nirvana?

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #66 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kramer's DIY sand mod. You'll need a groundspoon though (not sure what these are called in the US). Using the groundspoon, create a cavity in the ground in which the box will be placed. After that, perform Kramer's Osmosis Mod on the box, so that it's inside the cavity. Fill the cavity with sand using the groundspoon.

Standing back now, cast +1000 Sand Of The Infinite That Secures Holes in the Ground But On The Down Side Startles Sand People Somewhat. At this point I should tell you that you have probably scared away the sand people, but they will return - and in greater numbers. Casting the SOTIT****GBOTDSSSPS spell will help protect your box from being discovered and embarrass you into admitting you received a $1000 pair of headphones in a frickin pizza box.

So anyway, after 1000 years, in a future life where you are an archaeologist, retrieve the box. The mod should be complete by then, and you can bask in the "night and day" difference that only 1 in 10000 people can hear. I would love tell you the difference this mod makes, but 1000 years into the future Audiophiles will have battled down to the final two, and they will only use words that nobody else understands, like "sheissentrebletasticman94", to describe sound. When the time comes, the Audiophiles will feel an irresistable urge to assemble at The Gathering, making sure to bring cheese and wine, where they will hurl abstract verbs at each other in the struggle to become The One True Audiophile. Jahn will be there, and his post count will have exceeded infinity, which will anger God, but God will let it slide because Jahn will loan him his PS-1s.

Can you tell I'm procrastinating?
tongue.gif

Excluding the "Bill Stickers" picture this might be the funniest thing I've ever read on head-fi. Lots of lol-ing.

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #68 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have sand, if you want to do a trade.

woa, you're quoting a post from almost a year ago...dunno what we were even talking about besides goofing on the boxes...but if you have sand...i would hold on to it...

btw, the grado boxes are now collectors items and worth twice the price of the headphones that came in them. a ps1 box just sold for $4400 on ebay!

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #69 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
woa, you're quoting a post from almost a year ago...dunno what we were even talking about besides goofing on the boxes...but if you have sand...i would hold on to it...

Ha Ha Ha...now that is almost funnier than bill stickers.

ps: Free Bill Stickers.

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #70 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha Ha Ha...now that is almost funnier than bill stickers.

ps: Free Bill Stickers.

Bill Stickers is innocent!
mad.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #72 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if all those posts might upset Mr. Grado?

(They say truth lies in jest).

truth lies in my having spent thousands of dollars on grado headphones and phono cartridges over the last 12 years. truth also lies in my being a very vocal supporter of Grado Labs in this and other forums. and truth finally lies in the fact that John Grado has a great sense of humour and has probably had more then one good laugh at this thread. or not. either way
cool.gif

but this is starting to piss me off. why don't old threads just fade away?
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #74 of 91
Um, im sure if mr. grado [joseph] was still involved in the design of the cans, especially the statement series, he would be thrilled at the amount of interest this site has produced in the DIY mods developed for said pizza box. It is really ahead of its time with technology that no other can box has come close to representing. Folding corners??? Secure Slot loading convienence locks?? Come on! To mention such boxes as stax and ath in the presence of the statement series box is to sin! to sin indeed! I, being a headfi newbie at the time, tried a DIY statement box i bought instructions for off a nigerian on ebay. It wasnt the same! Spacial seperation, soundstage, bass extension... it was all wrong!! i even tried the silica st-4 mods mentioned earlier. NOTHING!!
In fact, after my burn in time of 250 hours [i like it extra crispy] i came back only to find the pizza box no longer had the patented typewritten STATMENT SERIES logo, nor the handwritten serial [obviously written by joseph himself] were there anymore. They had melted away since it was obviously a fake and did not possess the clear ventilation and heat dispersion technologies of the more current statement boxes. I urge any of you who find the DIY STATEMENT BOX on ebay to stear clear!!!! I know its tempting but your better off saving for the real thing. I only make 200k a year so theres no hope for me at the ripe old age of 23 to achieve this musical bliss in my lifetime but perhaps some of you will come upon better times and be able to splurge. And if you can SPLURGE AWAY.

p.s. I love you guys
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #75 of 91
I got an email from a nigerian, wanting all my personal banking info -- I sent all my data, and am now waiting to get the promised $4,000,000.00 deposit, my share of his fortune, if I would just help him get it out of the country.
Soon, I will be able to afford a Grado pizza-box!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back