box from grado... had a box from grado in it!
Jul 27, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #32 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by pokey9000
Nobody's suggested turning the foam inside out yet. I'm disappointed.

That's because we've all tried turning it upside-down so far. Really gives the music a new perspective.
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #33 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Does the Grado pizza box generate much heat? Not sure if my room has enough ventilation to keep it cool and don't want the box to incinerate under full load.

I am glad you asked this question..this is an important consideration indeed..
hopefully someone more knowledgable can address this.

I am worried too about the burn in, how long should one allow before doing any critical listening with it? Do I need to have a different source now to compliment this larger cardboard superstructure? Does it make sense or has anyone seen any custom wood boxes for the Grado GS1000 box?? Not talking about the box it shipped in, talking about a custom carrier for the box..

Jul 27, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #34 of 91
I have a friend who spends all day modding his GS1000 box and he claims (now, I don't know if this is true, because I have to sell my other boxes before I can afford to get a GS1000 box) that if you remove the foam padding and replace it with panty hose that have been synthetically meshed with Louis Vuitton handbag scraps, it sounds as if the music is being whispered directly into your ear by Leonard Nimoy. This is just what my friend said, though.

Jul 27, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #35 of 91
Mikeymad's box comparo pic made me laugh out loud. I'm such a nerd.
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdlite
I have a friend who spends all day modding his GS1000 box and he claims (now, I don't know if this is true, because I have to sell my other boxes before I can afford to get a GS1000 box) that if you remove the foam padding and replace it with panty hose that have been synthetically meshed with Louis Vuitton handbag scraps, it sounds as if the music is being whispered directly into your ear by Leonard Nimoy. This is just what my friend said, though.

very funny stuff!

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #39 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
I am glad you asked this question..this is an important consideration indeed..
hopefully someone more knowledgable can address this.

Stock, the GS-1000 box doesn't run too overwhelmingly hot and can get by on minimal ventilation; however, if one was to perform some of the more popular (and effective, imo/e) modifications, one would certainly want a more robust cooling system. I recommend at minimum 231.33 CFM of airflow into the room with 153 CFM out. Keep in mind the path of airflow through the room should be kept in a serial configuration and that cubic feet per minute in should be kept above the CFM of the out to maintain positive pressure. This, I've found, allows for the GS-1000 box to perform at it's full potential.

There are also more exotic forms of cooling such as water cooling, liquid nitrogen cooling, and, of course, phase change. These will allow you to run the box above spec and give even greater performance, but setup and maintainance can be a problem. This is certainly the way to go if you want the absolute best, though, and have the technical know how (or geek friend) to design a solution best for you and your cardboard carton.

Jul 28, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #42 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich1122
I think this mod would be absolutely awesome!!!

BANNNNNNNNNNN HIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMm!!!!!!111

:lol:

I cannot believe they simply taped a peice of printer paper to the front of a cardboard box and shipped it haha. I supposed the sound is all that matters though...... and from what you guys have said the upper harmonics in my boxes may be lacking.

BTW I used to use the Blue Gatoraid but now they have Gatoraid Fierce and High Endurance which adds 300% more sodium.

See the extra sodium molocules block random signals that may degrade the performance of the box. Not to mention the dark green liquid blocks more rays than the Blue Gatoraid. The difference was like night and day, and if you say otherwise you either A)Have bad ears or B)Are jealous cause you can only afford the Kool-Aid enclosure.

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #43 of 91
I am just waiting for a chem expert w/ no sense of humor and a love for Bose to come and try to strike us down
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #44 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computersmith
At risk of showing my true geekness, all I can say is ROFL. This is the best laugh I've had all day. Thank you very much
biggrin.gif

isaoubmtatyvw (i'm sure all of us budding mark twains agree that you're very welcome) but please what does rofl mean?

Jul 28, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #45 of 91
to analog'd:

rofl= rolling on floor laughing

to bsdlite: funniest bit I've read in a long time (thanks analog'd
wink.gif
)

tgiwdagomwirynpwoteiqebmotnitm (thank god I wasn't drinking a glass of milk when I read your 'Nimoy' post, water out the eyes is quite enough but milk out the nose is too much!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back