Bowl pads... do they fit you?
Apr 6, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 27
My ears fit inside the bowls. However, I don't like the sound of bowls on the HP-series... too much nasty resonance and disappearing bass. The RS-2's that I tried at Bay Bloor Radio sounded quite nice with bowls, though.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #17 of 27
The bowls fit my ears fine, but I don't like their sounds except on the PS-1. I find them very strident on the RS-1 in particular, whereas the flat pads sound great. Some people have a comfort problem with the flats, but I haven't experienced that personally.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakked1
I find the flats to be a bit congested in the midrange and bloomy in the bass.. even with the HP-2 (yes, sacrilege, so burn me).

I used to think so too. So I used the HP1 with bowls for a while. But once you get used to the HP1000 sound, it's clear to me the flats are superior.

I do like the bowls in general though. Still use them with the HF-1. But if you think the HP1000 with flats is congested or bloomy with the flats, try listening to them with flats for a period long enough for your ears and brain to get adjusted. It is very rewarding. The bowls then become just thin and coloured.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #19 of 27
I think the flats sound better than the bowls.

The bowls hurt my big ears.

I'm using Larry's C-pads now.
icon10.gif

SR 325

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #22 of 27
Bowls for me. The more one uses them, the more comfortable they get. And yes, my ears do touch the mesh.
Flats (Senn 414 hole-modded & reversed) sound too...flat to these ears. But they are very comfortable from the first moment.

Apr 6, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I was all big on flats for awhile. After a long time without, I found my lost bowls, and that was the end of the story. Bowls fit on the edge of my ears, so that might be why. But the soundstage and sparkling highs are too much to give up. The midrange is lush and the bass is accentuated unnaturally. I hear a lot of complaining about a lack of bass with bowls. I never feel like it's missing.

I still like the flats for overly bright recordings or for something different.

I have exactly the same thoughts.

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #25 of 27
Sounds like I'll have to give them more time to break in and get used to them, I find I like them more on less bassy tracks, especially with some mogwai. I'll keep trying to find a place in my heart for both!

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I was all big on flats for awhile. After a long time without, I found my lost bowls, and that was the end of the story. Bowls fit on the edge of my ears, so that might be why. But the soundstage and sparkling highs are too much to give up. The midrange is lush and the bass is accentuated unnaturally. I hear a lot of complaining about a lack of bass with bowls. I never feel like it's missing.

I still like the flats for overly bright recordings or for something different.

I had a similar experience. When I first got my SR80's (w/bowls) I was very disappointed. I then tried the RS pads, Senn 414 pads and finally the flats liking each better than the last. I recently got a Headroom Total Airhead amp and was trying out my various headphones with it and on a whim decided to try the bowl pads. Wow, what happened. Suddenly they fit me better (almost completely circumaural) making them more comfortable than the flats and the sound is much more balanced and "hi-fi" than with the flats.

Apr 6, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #27 of 27
I agree with the circumaural comment. For such a small phone (considered to be supra-aural), the pads completely envelop my ears and it seems to be only a small "fold" on the rear-middle of my ears that ends up touching the drivers. I also find the cans (225's) to sound wonderful - nothing too bright beyond the Grado sound - and the bass and mids are excellent. This can vary depending on the recording though. I was listening to some very old Bo Diddley on the train this morning (less than ideal conditions) and the very old recording ended up sounding very hollowed out - increasing the volume got me almost no mids, screeching highs and sloppy bass. I know the noise from the train doesn't help, but with better recorded material this isn't a problem.

Sound aside, I must admit that the bowls grind after a while (still new though), so I'm thinking of trying a simple mod I read elsewhere until the pads break in. If you've read about it, basically you just take some very thin earphone replacement pads (from Radioshack), stretch them over the driver area and then pop the bowls back on. Allegedly offers a little relief from the treble and warms up the bass response (for those interested). For myself, it's exclusively for the purpose of enhancing comfort until the bowls wear in a little better and I can nab a real sweet spot. If nothing else, it should provide some relief from the hard drivers pressed against the cartilage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back