Bowflex XTL - Yay/Nay?
Jul 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
With my schedule, I'm finding it more difficult to get to the gym and am considering getting one to use at home. I'm aware that it'll more likely end up as a clothes hanger, but am willing to try it out, if they're any good.

So...have any of you tried one of these? And, if so, would you recommend it?

Thanks.

'Dwebe

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 13
Do you have the space to just buy separate free weights? (fixed/adjustable dumb bells, barbells, etc)

You can also get an ab-roller, a pullup bar/dip station, a bench, and maybe a squat rack if you planning on lifting hard and big. I've heard negative things about machines, though if it's your only choice, it's better than nothing.

Here are some workout forums with info:

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/index.php
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f10/ (I don't recommend visiting the non-training sub-forums)
http://bodyweightculture.com/ (primarily bodyweight)

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 13
kirosia,

Thanks for the info about the workout forums.

I was considering the Bowflex for a few reasons, actually. One, I can pick up a used one for $200; two, takes up a relatively small amout of real estate; three, time is somewhat limited, and finally, four, as you stated, it would probably be better than nothing.

But I've never actually used one so I didn't know how effective of a workout it could provide. Have you used one, yourself, and, if not, know of anyone who's used one?

Thanks again.

'Dwebe

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Sorry, I haven't. Though for $200 I'd probably consider getting one. Try doing a search for "bowflex" in those workout forums, I'm pretty sure it gets mentioned a lot.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Aug 3, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 13
I don't believe in home gyms because it has never worked for me. Maybe you can find a gym close to your work or home so that the commute time becomes negligible. If working out at home is a must, then my vote goes for a power/squat rack with a bench. front squats, back squats, press, deads, olympic lifts and its variations, bench press, chins, pulls, rack pulls, what more can you ask for?
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 13
I will say that I didn't like the bowflex when I tried it. My parents were buying a home gym and I demoed a bowflex. The annoying thing is that the resistance is not constant. You start with a low resistance and it gets higher as you compress the spring. That is the point of the bowflex, but it felt unnatural and I couldn't imagine myself using it daily.

They settled on the Inspire M3 and I really like it. I use it whenever I come home, be it for spring break or the summer or whatever, and it is very nice.

Edit: didn't see the $200 thing. Yeah, that is a great deal but you should demo a bowflex and make sure that you would be able to use it.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 13
At $200 if you want to give it a try, go for it.

If you want my opinion, seeing how you already visualizing it as a clothes hanger, take a look at something else like a pair of power blocks (dumbells). I have a pair and use them for a few months every couple of years but at least they can tuck easily into the closet and are out of sight.

Right now I'm doing the Kenpo X from P90X twice a week and have been doing it for the past six months and I am enjoying it.

Whatever works for you and good luck.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 13
I prefer the Health Rider BRS. It gives more of a complete workout with less fuss than a Bow or Solo Flex. It takes up less space and has more movements. Sadly I don't think HR makes them any more but they do come up on craiglist and ebay.

3n33k93ofZZZZZZZZZ97qc120fb8e73f3137f.jpg

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks, everyone.

In the end, I admitted to myself that it would only keep my (unused) Nordic-Trak company in the garage and opted out. I must just make the time to hit the gym. But, damn, making that time is so friggin' difficult most days.

Worst part...the gym is only five minutes out of my way. I pass not one, but TWO military gyms (McChord AFB and Ft. Lewis) going southbound on I-5 from work (Tacoma) to home (Lacey), in Washington State.

I know...I need to stop being so damn lazy and quit coming up with excuses! But the traffic sucks and I'm always tired after a long day of commuting/office and...

See, I just made a few excuses right there. And it came so naturally. Sighh...

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 13
no, if the exercise equipment will just sit there, taking up space that you should fill with audio equipment, then get your priorities right and exercise your ears...

or get some workout DVDs that allow you to get exercise at home without any gear, like pilates, yoga, or even the new fad, P90X.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 13
Joining a gym is definitely better than the bowflex. You need to make a efficient plan if you are pressed for time. What are your goals? How long do you want to spend in the gym?

You can actually get great workouts at home with atlas stones, sandbags, pull-up/dips station, plyometric work, band and chain work and dumbells.

Regardless of your goals, make sure that you are eating enough, getting enough sleep and working out consistently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back