Bowers & Wilkins P9
Jun 3, 2023 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
I just wonder why this exceptional headphone is not much loved here.

To my ears it is the equivalent in the headphone world of the Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series in the speakers world.

Still, I haven’t seen much appreciation for it on head-fi.

Maybe because it’s not expensive enough? 😉

Jun 3, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 9
I’ve loved the look on the Bowers & Wilkins and have been curious about them. They do seem to be a very polarizing headphones.

My biggest concern is that from the photos they look a bit small. Are the pads large enough to completely surround your ears without touching them?

Jun 3, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 9
I’ve loved the look on the Bowers & Wilkins and have been curious about them. They do seem to be a very polarizing headphones.

My biggest concern is that from the photos they look a bit small. Are the pads large enough to completely surround your ears without touching them?
I guess it depends on the ears :) . They surely do surround completely *my* ears.

The P9 pads are larger than the P7 pads, who are touching my ears (but are still very comfortable).

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 9
So the B&W P9 was released in the mid-2010s and were discontinued as the company focused more on wireless for their headphones. The ear pads were made to create a seal all around your ear with your ear fitting inside the ear cup, so that is why the ear pads may look small to you. All B&W headphones were supposed to have a sound signature that matches their speaker lines, which is a generally warm sound with a noticeable amount of bass impact. Within their wired headphone line, the sound signature became wider and brighter to correspond with the price. This is supposed to be the same within their current wireless headphone line, with the B&W PX8 matching many of the sound characteristics of the B&W P9, while adding even more digital features to the sound, as the B&W PX8 will only play sound when turned on. However, even the B&W PX7 series also has the angled drivers with the ear pads sealing the ear all-around and the ear itself being inside the ear cup and you can find many new or used models available today. Just remember that the entire B&W PX7 series also will only play sound when turned on. Hope this helps! :)

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 9
The ear pads were made to create a seal all around your ear with your ear fitting inside the ear cup, so that is why the ear pads may look small to you.
I am confused. Why would pads made to surround entirely the ears look small? 🤔

with the B&W PX8 matching many of the sound characteristics of the B&W P9, while adding even more digital features to the sound, as the B&W PX8 will only play sound when turned on.
Again I don’t understand: what sort of « digital features to the sound » has the P9?

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpeg
    IMG_0219.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0220.jpeg
    IMG_0220.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 9
I am confused. Why would pads made to surround entirely the ears look small? 🤔

Again I don’t understand: what sort of « digital features to the sound » has the P9?

The ear cup is as wide as the ear pad, but the inner ear cup opening is only a quarter-to-half-an-inch away from the outer ear cup and angles downward towards your ear, leaving angled room for your ear, and the inner ear pad opening is half-to-whole-inch away from the outer ear pad edge.

Also, the B&W PX8 is all-digital, not the B&W P9.

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 9
I broke the P9's out again for a listen with my new iFi Neo iDSD 2 desktop DAC/Amp. Very, very rich sounding. I did tweak the bass setting on the iFi Neo down to its base setting. Otherwise, I think the bass is just too, too rich for my taste. Though it is fun to use this particular DAC/Amp's settings to dial in what suits me.

Later I think I will try the P9 with my newish Chord Mojo2 and iPad/iPhone. Heck all, my rediscovery/love of cabled headphones is going to make me buy a duffel bag just to carry multiple headphones and my Chord Mojo 2. :darthsmile:

Does anyone know if there are any 3rd parties that make upgraded headphone cables for the P9. I know it would be tricky given the internal small plug in for the cable in the left ear cup.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Finally doing justice to my P9 headphones via Qobuz. A good friend of mine directed to give this music service a try. Frankly I had tried it sometime ago, and couldn't get the hang of the layout of the music regarding finding many of my favorite music, and quit the service.

Well I really should have hung in there with Qobuz. The Hi-Res offerings are certainly worth it. So now I'm even discovering music I don't think I would have ever found on Apple Music, and maybe Tidal.

Currently Listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan's Couldn't Stand the Weather album. The P9 headphones give this and other music a lot of depth that I hadn't heard before with the P9. Of course my newish iFi Neo iDSD2 DAC/Amp. contributes to the music equipment chain. :smile_phones: Has anyone else out there rediscovered their P9 with or without new music service/DAC/Amp?

It is so nice that I am finally getting the most out of the P9 headphones! It has been said before, but I'll say it again, these now discounted headphones didn't get the credit they deserved. I will also repeat the hope that B&W offers another cabled headphone!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back