Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Nov 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #376 of 1,506
  P7 vs Alpha Dog anyone???

I would expect the alpha dog to sound better, it's a true full size headphone at a higher price point, I would expect it to have a more refined sound...

@PolkManiac- you would be correct.  I  answered my own question as I just auditioned the P7 at Best Buy.  It is an excellent headphone.  I A/B'd against Momentum and prefer the P7's more neutral sound and overall presentation, although they are in the same league and really comes down to preference.  Neither can compete with the Alpha Dog's comfort,  refinement and warmer sound (my preference).

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #377 of 1,506
I generally don't advise forming an opinion based on an in store demo, at home on your rig with your music is really the way to go. For example, I don't think, nor would I expect measurements to show, that the P7 is a more neutral headphone than the Momentum. I actually prefer the P7 at this point, but Momentum is still a more flat headphone.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #378 of 1,506
Go for it... was having trouble parting with the money but Hifiman's video convinced me, even comes with a stand!

Thanks man!

BTW, the Alpha Dog walks all over the p7 in every way, but we're not comparing apples to apples here. AD is not portable while the P7 is.

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #379 of 1,506
@PolkManiac
- you would be correct.  I  answered my own question as I just auditioned the P7 at Best Buy.  It is an excellent headphone.  I A/B'd against Momentum and prefer the P7's more neutral sound and overall presentation, although they are in the same league and really comes down to preference.  Neither can compete with the Alpha Dog's comfort,  refinement and warmer sound (my preference).

I'm loving the P7. But you just identified my next headphone.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #380 of 1,506
these are great sounding headphones the fit and finish is very well made. but my problem is the comfort. does anyone else seem to feel they're a bit heavy? Maybe it's my big head that's causing the tight fit but i can't seem to enjoy them on more than half hour without having to take them off. I've tried to give it some flex but still clamping my head to a discomfort any suggestions? thanks 

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #382 of 1,506
These headphones are incredibly detailed but anybody find them sibilant? I personally think these are way better than the Momentum's but find the sound a little on the thin side.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #383 of 1,506
Never heard the alphadogs before but I think the P7 walks all over the Momentums technically. It just has better extension towards the higher frequencies, tighter bass, better separation, and better PRAT. But the one thing the Momentums do better are the mids. The P7 have thin mids whereas the Momentums have mids that are both full and more pleasant to listen to. But still I didn't find the mids on the Momentums "extra" special like the Audeze LCD2's or the Earsonics SM3's.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #384 of 1,506
  These headphones are incredibly detailed but anybody find them sibilant? I personally think these are way better than the Momentum's but find the sound a little on the thin side.

Never heard the mad dogs before but I think the P7 walks all over the Momentums technically. It just has better extension towards the higher frequencies, tighter bass, better separation, and better PRAT. But the one thing the Momentums do better are the mids. The P7 have thin mids whereas the Momentums have mids that are both full and more pleasant to listen to. But still I didn't find the mids on the Momentums "extra" special like the Audeze LCD2's or the Earsonics SM3's.

I didn't find the P7 sibilant, but I did think they were bright.  I thought the mids were above average in their price range, but for "extra" special mids, the Alpha Dog is the way to go.  I do like that the P7 is easy to drive and certainly gives them an advantage as a portable.

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #385 of 1,506
I generally don't advise forming an opinion based on an in store demo, at home on your rig with your music is really the way to go. For example, I don't think, nor would I expect measurements to show, that the P7 is a more neutral headphone than the Momentum. I actually prefer the P7 at this point, but Momentum is still a more flat headphone.

I agree that a brief store demo doesn't provide enough feedback for a review, just an impression.  I was able to listen through Vamp with my Iphone, so I could at least listen with a good portable amp.  The P7 is a bit brighter than Momentum (a bit too bright for my taste), but I prefer the P7's low end presentation as I found the mid-bass hump from Momentum a bit intrusive.  The P7 might also have an edge in resolution.

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #386 of 1,506
I discovered the P7 at the UK meet when an Alpha Dog was present. I did listen to it but it did nothing to me and moved on after a 5mn listen, although many people were raving about it at the meet.
In comparison I kept coming back to the P7 table to make sure what I was hearing was right and bought one the next day. 
So don't get fooled by comment such as "the Alpha Dog walks all over the p7 in every way".

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #387 of 1,506
  these are great sounding headphones the fit and finish is very well made. but my problem is the comfort. does anyone else seem to feel they're a bit heavy? Maybe it's my big head that's causing the tight fit but i can't seem to enjoy them on more than half hour without having to take them off. I've tried to give it some flex but still clamping my head to a discomfort any suggestions? thanks 

When I had them I flexed the headband a bit and that seemed to relieve the clamping pressure by a lot on my head. But I have quite a narrow head, so that might make a difference as well.

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #388 of 1,506
Do you know how the alpha dogs compare to the LCD-2's in terms of PRAT and mids?

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #390 of 1,506
  I discovered the P7 at the UK meet when an Alpha Dog was present. I did listen to it but it did nothing to me and moved on after a 5mn listen, although many people were raving about it at the meet.
In comparison I kept coming back to the P7 table to make sure what I was hearing was right and bought one the next day. 
So don't get fooled by comment such as "the Alpha Dog walks all over the p7 in every way".

If one prefers a brighter headphone, the P7 is one of the best available in its price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back