Bowers & Wilkins P7 or Sennheiser Momentum
Dec 22, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #16 of 30
Comfort is personal so I don't doubt that you feel that way, but I have no idea what you're talking about. I find the P7 to be supremely comfortable. It has soft, supple pads that my ears actually fit into. In any case, OP should evaluate both headphones for himself because there is no guarantee he will share either of our opinions. 

Yes, I am sure that it was the "over" ear model. It's funny that you say that because others have told me that the on ear is the more neutral one. I've never heard the on ear so I don't know. 

The measurements disagree and many reviewers would disagree.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #17 of 30
The measurements disagree and many reviewers would disagree.

If the over ear is more neutral, then the on ear must be something else. The over ear was one the darkest headphones I've ever heard. It had some good qualities going for it and I can see why it's popular, don't get me wrong, but it is super dark. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 30
Just went through a similar dilemma myself over the past week or so.  Amazon UK had P5 S1's on a blow out sale at £135 that I couldn't resist but unfortunately I had a bit of an intermittent issue with the left ear so am in the process of returning them as they couldn't replace now that the P5 S2's are out.  So, I thought I'd do some auditioning of others readily available in Scotland and was left with the Momentums, P5's and P7's.  

I had a very negative experience with the Momentums.  I won't spend too much time on this as I believe either the unit was faulty or the display cable feeding into it was.  Either way, the sound was quite sub par.  I didn't find them uncomfortable but I wouldn't describe them as a joy to wear.  Sound was poorer than my Senny HD25's and nowhere near as enjoyable as the P5's I'm returning (when they worked!...).  

I was about to pull the trigger on P5 S2's when a new batch of recertified P7's became available.  Took the plunge and so glad I did.  They aren't that much bigger than the P5's so I won't feel daft commuting, they fold up a bit (quite handy), are very comfortable to me (a near perfect fit actually) and, most importantly, the sound was fabulous.  I was expecting a larger soundstage but wasn't quite prepared for the step up in quality and, for want of a better word, fun.  The bass is slightly pronounced but I was looking for a pair with that.  

I was just looking for a pair of headphones that would deliver a step up in quality from the HD25's with a more enjoyable listening experience and the P7's have delivered in spades. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #19 of 30
What is going on in this thread?  
redface.gif

The Momentum has a smooth, musical sound once you get used to it but I ultimately didn't like it because it had far too much midbass and hardly any treble.

Too much mid-bass? 
confused.gif

No idea where you get 'mid bass hump' from.
Maybe your ears are too big for these headphones? 
Every report I read about 'bass bloat' or 'mid bass hump' are usually from people with ears too big for this headphone who wear the headphone ON-EAR, and therefore cannot make a proper bass-seal which brings everything under control.... basically if your ears fit inside comfortably, THE PLANETS ALIGN - it's that good.

The over ear was one the darkest headphones I've ever heard.

The treble is slightly rolled off... it's about as 'dark' as young Anikin Skywalker.
Dark = significantly elevated bass or significantly rolled off treble. 
This headphone is mostly neutral. (the FR graph posted earlier shows an almost flat line from the bottom to 2000Hz - which is where most of the music happens)
You probably need to try more headphones 
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #20 of 30
If the over ear is more neutral, then the on ear must be something else. The over ear was one the darkest headphones I've ever heard. It had some good qualities going for it and I can see why it's popular, don't get me wrong, but it is super dark. 

I think its because you're used to brighter headphones. The p7 and a900x are both considered to be bright headphones.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #21 of 30
I think its because you're used to brighter headphones. The p7 and a900x are both considered to be bright headphones.

I would say the P7 is a V-shaped sound. Too much deep bass presence to be described as a bright headphone.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 30

When I say dark, I don't just mean "darker than a couple bright headphones I'm familiar with." You left out my ZMF Vibro, which is both darker than neutral and my current reference. IMO the Momentum over ear is MASSIVELY darker than the Vibro. And honestly, I'd characterize the P7 as dark overall with a dash of sparkle on top, kind of like my old HE-400 but less extreme. But the ZMF is certainly darker than the P7 either way. And the Momentum is darker than both by a longshot.

I don't know what you're trying to say exactly... If you think the Momentum isn't dark, then give me some examples of headphones that are dark in your opinion. I don't mean to challenge you or anything, I'm just curious what your reference point is. I've never heard a darker headphone other than POS boom monsters that don't really count, like JVC marshmallows.  

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #23 of 30
 Originally Posted by GREQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif Too much mid-bass? 
confused.gif

No idea where you get 'mid bass hump' from.
Maybe your ears are too big for these headphones? 
Every report I read about 'bass bloat' or 'mid bass hump' are usually from people with ears too big for this headphone who wear the headphone ON-EAR, and therefore cannot make a proper bass-seal which brings everything under control.... basically if your ears fit inside comfortably, THE PLANETS ALIGN - it's that good.

That would certainly explain the difference of opinion here. My ears are too big for the Momentum but it's a stretch to call them massive, as the Momentum is the only circumaural headphone that's ever caused this problem. It has relatively small cups.

Quote:
  The treble is slightly rolled off... it's about as 'dark' as young Anikin Skywalker.
Dark = significantly elevated bass or significantly rolled off treble. 
This headphone is mostly neutral. (the FR graph posted earlier shows an almost flat line from the bottom to 2000Hz - which is where most of the music happens)
You probably need to try more headphones 
biggrin.gif

Yes, your definition of dark exactly matches what I heard from the Momentum. I've heard plenty of headphones and I'm not alone in my opinion. Others are free to disagree however. We don't all like the same thing or even hear the same headphones the same way.

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #24 of 30
When I say dark, I don't just mean "darker than a couple bright headphones I'm familiar with." You left out my ZMF Vibro, which is both darker than neutral and my current reference. IMO the Momentum over ear is MASSIVELY darker than the Vibro. And honestly, I'd characterize the P7 as dark overall with a dash of sparkle on top, kind of like my old HE-400 but less extreme. But the ZMF is certainly darker than the P7 either way. And the Momentum is darker than both by a longshot.

I don't know what you're trying to say exactly... If you think the Momentum isn't dark, then give me some examples of headphones that are dark in your opinion. I don't mean to challenge you or anything, I'm just curious what your reference point is. I've never heard a darker headphone other than POS boom monsters that don't really count, like JVC marshmallows.  

Haven't heard the momentum. Im going off of measurements and head-fi's popular verdict+tyll's opinions.
Saying it has no treble and is massively dark doesn't seem right at all.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #25 of 30
Haven't heard the momentum. Im going off of measurements and head-fi's popular verdict+tyll's opinions.
Saying it has no treble and is massively dark doesn't seem right at all.

Umm, ok. 

I don't think head-fi's popular opinion is a well-defined concept, as plenty of people have also expressed the opinion that they are very dark. Maybe you could decide for yourself one day...

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #26 of 30
Umm, ok. 

I don't think head-fi's popular opinion is a well-defined concept, as plenty of people have also expressed the opinion that they are very dark. Maybe you could decide for yourself one day...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum
Seems pretty consistent to me. People do mention that it glosses over details but i haven't seen "severely rolled off treble" or " massively dark"

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #27 of 30
Even saying it glosses over details is IMO a gross misunderstanding, as these are able to produce a very highly detailed sound.
People all too often confuse treble volume for resolution, or are too easily influenced by the treble response of a headphone, which in turn dictates it's perceived ability to retrieve detail.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #28 of 30
Even saying it glosses over details is IMO a gross misunderstanding, as these are able to produce a very highly detailed sound.
People all too often confuse treble volume for resolution, or are too easily influenced by the treble response of a headphone, which in turn dictates it's perceived ability to retrieve detail.

^ This.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #29 of 30
I dont think it glosses over details at all. I thought it was plenty detailed for the price range after my ears adjusted to the darkness, though the bass was still muddy IMO.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #30 of 30
Thanks for the feedback, I'm very thankful! I've been doing a lot of research lately, and I decided to go for the HP50s. The sound is fantastic, but I have some comfort issues. They are kinda shallow, so my ears are squeezed slightly, which causes some aching over long time sessions. Also it does not seal properly on the bottom, and I get most of the preassure on the top.

I therefore wondered if the Momentums sound similiar to the HP50s, because that would be very good. I'm not really considering the P7 anymore, as I've heard their sound is not so much better and they cost 50% more than the Momentums in my country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back