Bowers & Wilkins P7 or Sennheiser Momentum
Dec 20, 2014 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

commodent

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm having a hard time deciding between these two headphones, and thought I could seek you for advice.

Here in my country the Sennheiser Momentums cost $270 / £173 / €221 while the Bowers & Wilkins P7 cost $408 / £261 / €334. I therefore wonder which can would give most bang for the buck, and if the BW P7 really is worth the extra money. I feel that $408 is a serious amount to spend on headphones. I have tried the Momentums a very little before, and I know the cups fit around my ear.

Thanks

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 30
Hi, I'm having a hard time deciding between these two headphones, and thought I could seek you for advice.

Here in my country the Sennheiser Momentums cost $270 / £173 / €221 while the Bowers & Wilkins P7 cost $408 / £261 / 
€334. I therefore wonder which can would give most bang for the buck, and if the BW P7 really is worth the extra money. I feel that $408 is a serious amount to spend on headphones. I have tried the Momentums a very little before, and I know the cups fit around my ear.

Thanks
you are talking about the over ear right?
If you felt like the momentum was a bit too neutral/boring, the p7 would work. The other main contender in this price range is the nad viso hp50 which is usually said to be a warm all rounder.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 30
I tried both and chose the P7. The Momentum has a smooth, musical sound once you get used to it but I ultimately didn't like it because it had far too much midbass and hardly any treble. The P7 has a deeper, more controlled and harder-hitting bass plus better clarity, sense of space, and detail. The sound quality is not quite up to par with good $400 non-portable headphones but it's not a terrible value either when you consider the build quality and the portability. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 30
Personally I think the P7 is a much better headphone. It is considerably more expensive though so it comes down to if you think that the price difference is worth it to you. Can you find somewhere to listen to the P7 before you make a decision?

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 30
you are talking about the over ear right?
If you felt like the momentum was a bit too neutral/boring, the p7 would work. The other main contender in this price range is the nad viso hp50 which is usually said to be a warm all rounder.

Yes, I'm talking about over-ear. I see I can get the NAD Viso HP50 for $231, which I guess is a fairly good deal?

Personally I think the P7 is a much better headphone. It is considerably more expensive though so it comes down to if you think that the price difference is worth it to you. Can you find somewhere to listen to the P7 before you make a decision?

No, I have no possibility to test the headphones, as I live in a pretty small town.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 30
If you mostly listen to electronic music, probably P7 or Urbanite XL as both of them probably has better bass impact than momentum. However, if you want a somewhat more balanced sounding headphone, consider momentum and NAD HP50

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 30
  If you mostly listen to electronic music, probably P7 or Urbanite XL as both of them probably has better bass impact than momentum. However, if you want a somewhat more balanced sounding headphone, consider momentum and NAD HP50

Okay, but will I hear very big improvement in sound when I upgrade to B&W P7, or is it just a matter of details at this price range?

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 30
Okay, but will I hear very big improvement in sound when I upgrade to B&W P7, or is it just a matter of details at this price range?

"Very big improvement" and how much money its worth means different things to different people. Unfortunately I havent heard the M50 to compare, but IMO the P7 is a clear step up from the momentum. However its not as big a difference as say ipod earbuds to momentum.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 30
Honestly, if I were pressed to pick one of the two, I would pick the Momentum Over-Ear over the P7 any day. The P7 has horrendous, almost rock-hard earpads that don't even go around my ears, and have pretty hard clamping force. Sound-wise I would pick either, but overall the Momentum just wins for me. The P7s are simply unwearable.

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #13 of 30
Does not compute. If your ears dont fit into the P7, then how do they fit into the tiny momentum pads?

Simple -- they don't. The only difference is, the Momentum is just a lot more comfortable. They're soft and cushy and stuff.

Sure, they don't go around the ear, but I'm not complaining since they're soft enough anyway.

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #14 of 30
Does not compute. If your ears dont fit into the P7, then how do they fit into the tiny momentum pads?

Are you sure you're talking about the momentum over ear?
Mid bass hump+ rolled off treble sounds like the momentum on ear
Mo
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentum.pdf
Moe
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentumOnEar.pdf
P7
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BowersWilkinsP7.pdf

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 30
  Simple -- they don't. The only difference is, the Momentum is just a lot more comfortable. They're soft and cushy and stuff.

Sure, they don't go around the ear, but I'm not complaining since they're soft enough anyway.

Comfort is personal so I don't doubt that you feel that way, but I have no idea what you're talking about. I find the P7 to be supremely comfortable. It has soft, supple pads that my ears actually fit into. In any case, OP should evaluate both headphones for himself because there is no guarantee he will share either of our opinions. 

Are you sure you're talking about the momentum over ear?
Mid bass hump+ rolled off treble sounds like the momentum on ear
Mo
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentum.pdf
Moe
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserMomentumOnEar.pdf
P7
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BowersWilkinsP7.pdf

Yes, I am sure that it was the "over" ear model. It's funny that you say that because others have told me that the on ear is the more neutral one. I've never heard the on ear so I don't know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back