Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless still relevant?
Nov 17, 2018 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

risenfallen

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in need of a bluetooth pair of headphones and have been considering the P5W for the following reasons:
- travel: I use public transportation quite a lot - but I don't really need ANC, if it gets too noisy I'd just use my IEMs.
- design: I love B&W design, classy but not too flashy
- price: the P5W is within my budget (especially if I go for a secondhand pair), I'd love to get the P7W but they are simply out of my budget (never found a used pair for even close to 200EUR here in Europe and I don't want to have to import)
- other options that I have eliminated: Momentum wireless (hate the design, I also tried out the non-wireless and thought they sounded too muffled), Bose QC and Sony MDR1000XM (higher price bracket and ANC which I don't need).

I've heard great things about the SQ of the P7W and some say P5W are not bad themselves so that's why they sound like a good contender. I like a bright-ish, crisp sound sig (without sibilance) and am not a basshead. I will use them exclusively while walking around or on public transport. I'd just like to know if they are still a relevant buy (for the niche purpose that I will be using them for) or are there better options within this range that I'm not aware of? Thank you for your time.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 5
I loved the SQ and found it nice and lively with some sparkle up top and good bass. I would have liked it to be my go to for commuting (I don't like ANC) but it was the most uncomfortable 'on ear' that I have ever tried. They literally made my ears numb. Probably it is the flat pads. I don't read the same complaints from others, from what I have read so maybe it was just me.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 5
That's assuring about SQ but thanks for pointing out possible comfort issue. I have small and fairly 'flat' ears so maybe the pads won't be much of a gripe. I just hope they don't have awful clamping force, that's what I most likely have problems with.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #4 of 5
To update and for anyone that might be looking into the P5W as well, I can confirm the Onkyo H500BT gives them a run for the money. I got the Onkyo for about €100 so it was a really good deal. The Onkyo does almost everything I was looking for in the B&W P5W (well, more or less) at less than half the price. Sure they kind of look and feel cheaper but functionally and sound-wise I don't think they fall short compared to the P5W (and some even say they can compete with the P7W in this regard). They leak a bit of sound and don't isolate that well though but if you are not adamant about having zero sound leak, it's not that noticeable (could be a dealbreaker if used in a library where you sit closer than 3 feet from the next person).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back