Bowers & Wilkins P5 or a Monster Beats Studio ?
Feb 12, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #16 of 37
At this point, assuming I wasn't going to get IEMs—which I'm quickly becoming of the opinion are better for the price when you go cheaper—then in the $200 range I'd buy Sennheiser HD-25-1 II's without thinking twice. They're a headphone that has been around for a while, constantly tweaked and made better. They are made by a company who is a legend in the audio community at every level. Best part, they are almost entirely user-replaceable.

As a designer I actually prefer the look of the P5's to the BAEs, but aesthetics are mostly (ish) about personal taste and desired effect. The BAE's and Beats both scream trendy style. The P5's scream stylish quality. They just look and feel beautiful. Then, The HD-25's aren't beautiful. They are functional in that minimalist Swiss aesthetic that everyone associates with Germany. They look and feel like headphones that were made for people who don't care about fashion but do care about function.

Visual critiques aside, I'd actually say check out some IEMs. To that end, check out what Shure has. They sound pretty damn good, have replaceable cables... Bonus points? Isolation. P5's and Beats don't isolate very well. I can't speak for the BAEs but the HD-25's isolate alright (by means of clamping down on your skull) but none as well as a good set of IEMs. They basically act like earplugs with a very high-quality speaker stuffed in the middle.

Ask anyone who flies what they think of IEMs. It's generally the same response as those who fly with Bose QuietComfort headphones only they tend to have spent significantly less, gotten equal or better sound, and ended up with a product that is very easy to transport (drop in your pocket and off you go).

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
My very strong recommendations in this portable segment would be:

Sennheiser hd25-1 ii
V-moda m80/v80

I doubt for the price, build, sound....there is anything better out there. Either are easy to drive also without the need of an amp and have the best feedback and rankings provided by the head-fi community. You cannot go wrong with either. If isolation is more important go for the hd25-1 ii. Either would be great to own. I hav the Senn's which are quite industrial looking, but I love them to death!

Thanks for all the help , can't choose between the P5 and the HD25-1 ii (the adidas version xp)

Quote:
P5, DT 1350, HD 25 are good choices 

Thanks for all the help , can't choose between the P5 and the HD25-1 ii (the adidas version xp)

Quote:
Have you read |joker|'s portable shootout thread? It has excellent sonic descriptions of the M80, P5, HD25 and Beats Studio.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 37

Quote:
At this point, assuming I wasn't going to get IEMs—which I'm quickly becoming of the opinion are better for the price when you go cheaper—then in the $200 range I'd buy Sennheiser HD-25-1 II's without thinking twice. They're a headphone that has been around for a while, constantly tweaked and made better. They are made by a company who is a legend in the audio community at every level. Best part, they are almost entirely user-replaceable.

As a designer I actually prefer the look of the P5's to the BAEs, but aesthetics are mostly (ish) about personal taste and desired effect. The BAE's and Beats both scream trendy style. The P5's scream stylish quality. They just look and feel beautiful. Then, The HD-25's aren't beautiful. They are functional in that minimalist Swiss aesthetic that everyone associates with Germany. They look and feel like headphones that were made for people who don't care about fashion but do care about function.

Visual critiques aside, I'd actually say check out some IEMs. To that end, check out what Shure has. They sound pretty damn good, have replaceable cables... Bonus points? Isolation. P5's and Beats don't isolate very well. I can't speak for the BAEs but the HD-25's isolate alright (by means of clamping down on your skull) but none as well as a good set of IEMs. They basically act like earplugs with a very high-quality speaker stuffed in the middle.

Ask anyone who flies what they think of IEMs. It's generally the same response as those who fly with Bose QuietComfort headphones only they tend to have spent significantly less, gotten equal or better sound, and ended up with a product that is very easy to transport (drop in your pocket and off you go).

:s hard decision HD25 or the P5 :s !!! 

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #19 of 37
Find a retailer that sells both and has a good returns policy (places I've used will give a full refund if you just open them and decide you don't like the sound), buy both and then return the one you don't like. You may have to save up a bit longer to get the initial funds required to buy both, but it's really the only way to be sure you have made the right choice.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #20 of 37

Quote:
Find a retailer that sells both and has a good returns policy (places I've used will give a full refund if you just open them and decide you don't like the sound), buy both and then return the one you don't like. You may have to save up a bit longer to get the initial funds required to buy both, but it's really the only way to be sure you have made the right choice.

yeah that actually is great advice.... problem is that headphone stores are very rare where i come from and the ones i do know, won't allow to return the product once you opened it x(

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #23 of 37
Ah, what is it you don't like about the sound? I've always been tempted by them based on looks alone, but I think the ES10 covers my needs for a portable over-ear sonically and aesthetically.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #25 of 37

Quote:
it's not that special sounding xp just normal xp 

Sorry to hear that. I was gonna suggest V-Moda Crossfade M-80 until I saw you bought the P5 already! THe M-80 should sound "fun" and I think you will like it a lot

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #26 of 37
P5 over Beats...In fact possibly anything with that price tag will perform better than beats...just my 2 cents. (plus, beats will snap in two within a month, very poor quality, and comfort wise owners say is pretty bad) I bought the V-modas Crossfade Lp and sound better, IMO to the beats as well, just to support AXESD, but havent tried the m80s

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #27 of 37

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I was gonna suggest V-Moda Crossfade M-80 until I saw you bought the P5 already! THe M-80 should sound "fun" and I think you will like it a lot

x2 

If you can return the P5, go for the M-80. They have a similar goal in mind with respect to presentation -- smooth, forgiving, and versatile. But the M-80 is better for less money. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back