Bowers & Wilkins P5 Impressions
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zafsk

Head-Fier
I'll be posting here in the next few days my impressions of the Bowers & Wilkins P5s, just bought a pair. I currently own a pair of AKG K702s, which I'm fairly happy with. Granted, they're driven by an Audio-GD C-2. However, as I'm working in the office and out and about, I needed a pair of headphones that didn't act as speakers to everyone around me and still looked fairly awesome. Jude's review of the P5s were very favorable for their purpose, and I happened to need a headphone that worked for my day-to-day activities at work and abroad.

What kind of sound am I in for?

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 5
great compliment, that is there quite different. plug them into your c2 with the nice little adapter face your chair towards your speakers and let em rip! dont be afraid to sink into the delicious mid bass there is quite a bit of texture there, if you listen, let the trebe sail over  notice how it compliments the mids wich should be like a rock in that they will be there like a metronome keeping the beat, the bass is tite supporting the juicy involving aforsaid qulitys, there she is music ,dont be afraid to crank it and sink into the envlope  looks like this (     with your head in the middl of the apex. dont let there small size full you cank em and notice how smooth and delicious it is while your mind travels thugh the sound stage mmmmm. oh the most imoortant thing is to place them a little back on your ears grab them and fold them till your ears touch your skull the bass should now be apparant thats the spot now you should feel like your sitting in a perfect hall with a set of b&W speakers infront of you . listen to your favs for at least an hour.  

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 5
I feel sort of dirty after reading that. Just sayin'.

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 5
I posted this on Tyll's InnerFidelity blog as well, but maybe more people will find it useful finding it here.

I do like the phones, they are comfortable after break in. Keep in mind that initially the headband along with soft earpads allow to feel a bit tight on the fit and will not be comfortable for long periods. I didn't notice so much the sliding the Tyll pointed out.

I find these cans on the bright side and as such are more specifically suited to certain genres of music. I found that most rock is not compatible, and I tried even going to some classic pre-loudness-war type music like "Deep Purple - Machine Head", or even more subdued laid back rock like "Mad Season - Above" and while listenable the focus was too forward and bright.

With respect to the above, I think Tyll hit on a great but subtle point. Low volume. I found that rather than listening at the same volume as say HD598s or DT770 Pro 250Ohm, that relaxing a bit on the volume did make a difference, but I found myself wanting to go a bit higher volume which brought in the fatigue issue.

However, if I switched to more vocal based genres like "Feist - Metals" or "Ruth Moody - The Garden" the P5 really excelled. The idea of course is vocal attention on these types of album and that bright forward flavour of the P5 excelled here. The vocals were strong and clear, and the musical accompaniment was by nature more subdued but clear and full.

Incidentally, if you were to be more progressive with jazz-dub like "Nightmares on Wax - In a Space Outta Sound" or even "Filter - Title of the Record" the P5 was good. With Filter, the brightness was still there but with nature of being strong on bass it helps balance the presentation, because the P5 isn't strongly boosting the bass artificially.

Bottom line I think the P5 are going to be best suited in the vocal, r&b, instrumental area. I think for those of you more rock or metal based are best served looking elsewhere.

Music sampled where P5 excelled:
 - Feist (Metals, The Reminder)
 - Ruth Moody (The Garden)
 - Fleetwood Mac (Rumours)
 - Nightmares on Wax (In a Space Outta Sound)
 - Beastie Boys (Hot Sauce Committe Pt. 2)
 - Brandt Brauer Frick (You Make Me Real)
 - Flevans (27 Devils)

Music sampled where P5 didn't represent:
 - Mastodon
 - Alice in Chains
 - Deep Purple (Machine Head)
 - Megadeth (Th1rt3en)
 - Mushroomhead (XIII)
 - The Killing Joke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back