Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Nov 23, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,996 of 2,022
Hi Jazz1. Not sure about your preference but I do not like to fold my headphones while storing/transporting. I use the Slappa Hardbody Pro. Mine fits rather snuggly (might differ individually based on how stretched the headband is). Just note that the case is rather large, though I have travelled with this case. I see them still being sold on Amazon for $20.

Alternatively, I’ve seen a previous post by ledzep back on 25 April 2023 in this thread where they used a case from Beyerdynamic.
I just ordered the Slappa. Heck, if I can carry the Focal Clear headphone case, the large Slappa can be used as a counterweight! :L3000:

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,997 of 2,022
Update: now leaning towards keeping these, particularly as I managed to grab them for quite cheap (around £300). These are some of the most fun-sounding closed backs I've heard. Comfort is my main gripe - they clamp like a MF'er. Sound-wise, think I actually prefer them to the Radiance - they're more engaging and natural. Wish I could combine the Radiance design and comfort with the P9 sound! Running them mostly from my RU7 and there's a cinematic, immersive feel to the presentation and way they image. Particularly great for rock - there's a satisfying amount of grunt and heft in the lower midrange for distorted guitars.

One thing I haven't really tested yet is their isolation - will be taking them to the office soon so let's see...

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #1,998 of 2,022
Sound-wise, think I actually prefer them to the Radiance - they're more engaging and natural. Wish I could combine the Radiance design and comfort with the P9 sound! Running them mostly from my RU7 and there's a cinematic, immersive feel to the presentation and way they image. Particularly great for rock - there's a satisfying amount of grunt and heft in the lower midrange for distorted guitars.

One thing I haven't really tested yet is their isolation - will be taking them to the office soon so let's see...
haha funny, I concluded the same 2 days ago and put my Radiance on ebay. Both great sets but my personal flavour is leaning more p9, like you say it's very cinematic and the thickness of electric guitars is great...I even play my les paul through them a fair bit via the computer a lot and it sounds top drawer. Really nice timbre.

My 3 year or so search for an IEM equivalent of the P9 seems to have drawn to a close finally, with the Campfire Dorado. Similar characteristics for anyone looking.

Nov 27, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #1,999 of 2,022
haha funny, I concluded the same 2 days ago and put my Radiance on ebay. Both great sets but my personal flavour is leaning more p9, like you say it's very cinematic and the thickness of electric guitars is great...I even play my les paul through them a fair bit via the computer a lot and it sounds top drawer. Really nice timbre.

My 3 year or so search for an IEM equivalent of the P9 seems to have drawn to a close finally, with the Campfire Dorado. Similar characteristics for anyone looking.
Snap - also sold my Radiance! Realised I loved the aesthetics and idea of the headphone more than the actual sound if that makes sense? Something about the mids was leaving me unsatisfied. Much prefer the mids on most other Focals (still think the Celestee is underrated). It's still a very solid headphone overall but not convinced it lives up to its price point.

But yeah, these P9s are so bloody dynamic and fun. The drivers are really quite capable too. Think it's one of those cases of the tuning slightly masking the technicalities. I wouldn't say it's in the D9200 tier of closed backs sonically but it's much better than many have given it credit for.

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #2,000 of 2,022
Snap - also sold my Radiance! Realised I loved the aesthetics and idea of the headphone more than the actual sound if that makes sense? Something about the mids was leaving me unsatisfied. Much prefer the mids on most other Focals (still think the Celestee is underrated). It's still a very solid headphone overall but not convinced it lives up to its price point.

But yeah, these P9s are so bloody dynamic and fun. The drivers are really quite capable too. Think it's one of those cases of the tuning slightly masking the technicalities. I wouldn't say it's in the D9200 tier of closed backs sonically but it's much better than many have given it credit for.
Indeed it was the mids that I noticed when switching from P9 to Radiance, whenever I switched to the latter it sounded a bit like I was listening to the vocals through an old radio in comparison - a hint of flatness or tinniness. Sure in isolation I'd be happy with Radiance, it was just the contrast really.

It's only when I went above 1k that I truly found closed back upgrades to the P9, things like Verite Closed, but then again, those are nowhere near as portable or as easy to drive. The fact it folds and performs at this level puts it in it's own niche for me.

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #2,001 of 2,022
Update: now leaning towards keeping these, particularly as I managed to grab them for quite cheap (around £300). These are some of the most fun-sounding closed backs I've heard. Comfort is my main gripe - they clamp like a MF'er. Sound-wise, think I actually prefer them to the Radiance - they're more engaging and natural. Wish I could combine the Radiance design and comfort with the P9 sound! Running them mostly from my RU7 and there's a cinematic, immersive feel to the presentation and way they image. Particularly great for rock - there's a satisfying amount of grunt and heft in the lower midrange for distorted guitars.

Cinematic is a good take on the signature. For movies especially it gives you the sense of being in a well-tuned small theater. Its capabilities for bass really shine here.

Regarding the comfort, it's a mixed bag. I've never found their older models to be high on comfort, especially compared to the PX8, which I thought was amazing for comfort. The pads have have an interesting memory foam kind of material that need a few minutes to warm up and bed into the side of your face. I found I needed to break in my pair for months and months after I bought brand new for me not to notice them on my head as much.

For isolation, they are closed, but not entirely. I would say maybe 90% closed, so on louder volumes, a bit can leak out.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #2,002 of 2,022
Regarding the comfort, it's a mixed bag. I've never found their older models to be high on comfort, especially compared to the PX8, which I thought was amazing for comfort. The pads have have an interesting memory foam kind of material that need a few minutes to warm up and bed into the side of your face. I found I needed to break in my pair for months and months after I bought brand new for me not to notice them on my head as much.
I owned most of B&Ws headphones except for P9. Couldnt really get them to fit nicely. Also P7w which I did love was a bit heavy and gave me hot spots.
PX8 is a massive improvement in comfort and among the most comfortable headphones ever for me.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #2,003 of 2,022
I owned most of B&Ws headphones except for P9. Couldnt really get them to fit nicely. Also P7w which I did love was a bit heavy and gave me hot spots.
PX8 is a massive improvement in comfort and among the most comfortable headphones ever for me.
Worst ones were the PX... Most uncomfortable headphones I've ever tried. Not sure what was worse, the comfort or the sound quality for those. :triportsad:

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #2,004 of 2,022
Cinematic is a good take on the signature. For movies especially it gives you the sense of being in a well-tuned small theater. Its capabilities for bass really shine here.

For isolation, they are closed, but not entirely. I would say maybe 90% closed, so on louder volumes, a bit can leak out.
Comfort is actually gradually starting to improve (as in, be just about bearable). Result!

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #2,005 of 2,022
Really liking my P9 this morning using them from IPad Pro with Audioquest Drafonfly Cobalt! Norah Jones is singing just for me!:gs1000smile: This is a great travel combo. Soon I’ll try the P9 with my Chord Mojo2. I’ve been looking hard at Focal Celestees but wonder if I need themas the P9 is so satisfying!

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #2,006 of 2,022
Really liking my P9 this morning using them from IPad Pro with Audioquest Drafonfly Cobalt! Norah Jones is singing just for me!:gs1000smile: This is a great travel combo. Soon I’ll try the P9 with my Chord Mojo2. I’ve been looking hard at Focal Celestees but wonder if I need themas the P9 is so satisfying!
I've gotten as cheap as the USB-C headphone dongle from Apple into an iPad Pro and am satisfied with it. For a semi-portable setup for around the house and lounging, it's all I need and the P9 don't need any extra power at all.

I've wondered about Focal, but I am too used to the warmth and the natural timbre of B&W headphones for over a decade and don't want to give it up.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #2,007 of 2,022
I've gotten as cheap as the USB-C headphone dongle from Apple into an iPad Pro and am satisfied with it. For a semi-portable setup for around the house and lounging, it's all I need and the P9 don't need any extra power at all.

I've wondered about Focal, but I am too used to the warmth and the natural timbre of B&W headphones for over a decade and don't want to give it up.
I just wish B&W would develop another wired headphone. The P9 is great, but it can’t last “forever”. Failing that I hope B&W stocks replacement parts for a long time. But, I doubt it.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #2,008 of 2,022
I just wish B&W would develop another wired headphone. The P9 is great, but it can’t last “forever”. Failing that I hope B&W stocks replacement parts for a long time. But, I doubt it.
Would be nice, but I think that ship has sailed. Would like to see real lossless wireless in the next half decade, though. In the meantime, a decent pre-owned market and some replacement pads should suffice..

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #2,009 of 2,022
The tonality of these is quite addictive isn’t it? There’s something in the sound these get right that a lot other closed backs around similar price don’t, can’t quite put my finger on it…

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,010 of 2,022
The tonality of these is quite addictive isn’t it? There’s something in the sound these get right that a lot other closed backs around similar price don’t, can’t quite put my finger on it…
Agree. Something just sounds right about them, I really notice this if I listen to a podcast with them, voices sound very natural and easy on the ear. There isn't that artificial crispiness which tons of headphones add to feign clarity. The P9 and VC remain the most natural sounding headphones I've ever heard personally, for lack of a better word

Users who are viewing this thread

Back