Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Nov 21, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,846 of 2,023
It's not trolling.
A lot of people here hate the P9 and think it's trash.

It definitely could use a bit more information, but, like, that's like your opinion, man.

For real? Trash is a strong word. Each to their own I guess. But that chap was making an objective statement about a subjective phenomenon, PX7 > P9 he said 'generally' Which makes no sense, what would have been a sensible thing to say 'I prefer the PX7'.

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #1,847 of 2,023
For real? Trash is a strong word. Each to their own I guess. But that chap was making an objective statement about a subjective phenomenon, PX7 > P9 he said 'generally' Which makes no sense, what would have been a sensible thing to say 'I prefer the PX7'.
Sure, you can spend your time criticizing the way people express their opinions on the internet, you're free to do so.
Personally I don't under-value my own time enough to do that.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #1,848 of 2,023

I for one prefer the P9’s by quite a bit, at least 19 out of 20 times on songs. The PX7’s occasionally play well in certain parts of a song or for just some types of songs but the P9‘ s have a much fuller and richer sound. I can understand why people dislike it’s bassy signature but everything else is really good and should be acknowledged.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #1,849 of 2,023
Sure, you can spend your time criticizing the way people express their opinions on the internet, you're free to do so.
Personally I don't under-value my own time enough to do that.
You’re on an audiophile forum. The main purpose of this place is to analyse and share opinions.

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,850 of 2,023
Occasionally people choose not to go in debth with their impressions just because they're being polite. Many people seem to enjoy the rich sound of P9. Sometimes people get personally offended when they read that their $899 headphone is not that well liked by other people. I've voiced my opinion on P9 on other threads but I've been avoiding commenting on it here for that reason.

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,851 of 2,023
Forgive my editorializing. The only thing I don't like about short and totally negative comments about a particular headphone is that it tends to kill further discussions. Yes, I own the P9's and actually like them quite a bit. I think people posting their thoughts certainly have the right to air their opinions. But, we all should leave room for alternate opinions. As ever, I should take my own advice, even in the non-headphone world.

Are they neutral sounding? No, they are a bit bass heavy for this non-bass head :beyersmile:. Another plus they drive pretty well through my AudioQuest DragonFly Red, and scale up with better DAC/AMPs.

IMHO they are kind of like a rich dessert, you don't want too, too much of its sound for long term session listening.On the plus side they are very well built, though I find the leather ear cups a bit sticky on my ears:anguished:

Are they anything like my HD-650's or my Audeze LCD-2? No. But I like a variety of headphones, and I plug in different ones depending upon my mood, sources available, and type of music. FYI I'm currently listening to Hubble Pie's (via Tidal HiFi level) "30 Days In the Hole", now that is rich bass:deadhorse:

Probably the most negative thing I can say about them is that the original price was/is mind boggling, but I went for them anyway. But this is all now water over the dam, as they have been discontinued. I probably should seek out replacement ear cups as back up, before replacements disappear (if they already have not).

So happy holidays! In these Pandemic times I very much value the social aspect of these forums, as well as the good advice and opinionated, opinions (as long as they inform).

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,852 of 2,023
If someone really enjoyed these headphones and wanted something with the same fullness and richness but with a more neutral bass, what would be recommended? Or is the fullness because of the elevated bass and you can’t have one without the other?

Dec 28, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #1,853 of 2,023
If someone really enjoyed these headphones and wanted something with the same fullness and richness but with a more neutral bass, what would be recommended? Or is the fullness because of the elevated bass and you can’t have one without the other?

If you looking something for desk use, I would recommend checking out Ananda. They have a very different sound signature with a neutral bias but lots of slam and large sound which for me complements my P9s by providing me with very different experience. I am assuming you like the soundstage and imaging on P9s, you will get a lot of it on Ananda and although easy to drive, they scale up nicely on a good amp.
I also have HD6xx which are a lot darker but I can never listen to those for more than 30 mins without that claustrophobic feeling, maybe its just me as most of the folks around here love them. So if you like the warmth maybe worth checking those out too.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #1,855 of 2,023
Curious if anyone has tried a variety of amp/dac combos with these and settled on a particular combo?
I have a pair of P9s, and have found them fairly easy to drive, even on a smartphone. I also use them on a Chord Mojo/Poly and a Chord Hugo TT2 where I find the deep bass I enjoy in Prog rock well controlled and satisfying. I am going to try some open back phones as well though, just the whole pandemic thing has been holding me back.

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #1,856 of 2,023
I have the P9's, and the Schiit Asgard with the TrueMultibit internal DAC. When I first received the Asgard I found the P9's somewhat unlistenable. I'm not into bass heavy headphones, and initially there was just too much bass coming out of this combo. To be fair others have faulted the P9's for this, but with my earlier pairings (see below) I really liked them.

Don't get me wrong. I've been a defender of the P9's on these forums, and have loved using them with my PS Audio GHCA amp. and Musical Fidelity M1 DAC (both discontinued unfortunately), as well as with my iPad Pro via an AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB amp/dac (I really like this mobile set-up).

A big note here. Listening to Norah Jones' "Til We See Again (Live) via Tidal/Master, I like the sound on high gain, at a lower setting on the vol. dial of course! This was a bit of a "eureka" moment that I want to share. The bass is now less overblown, and seem not to conflict with the midlevel frequencies.

This mystifies me, as you would think low gain would be kinder to these efficient headphones. The bass is far more acceptable to me, to the point I will put the P9's in rotation on the Asgard. So thank you OP for motivating me to fine tune the Asgard to the high gain vs low gain I initially listened to them.

Anyone else have this combo. I would love to hear your listening experience with the Asgard and the P9s!

Frankly I'm not faulting the P9's or the Asgard. As many on these threads know various combinations of equipment give different results. Also people have different ideas on what sounds good. In the end, I do have to admit that the P9's and the Asgard as equipped with the TrueMultibit DAC would not be my first choice combo. Especially if I did not have alternative headphones in rotation. But at least I will no longer ban the P9 from the Asgard :smile_phones:

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,857 of 2,023
I have a pair of P9s, and have found them fairly easy to drive, even on a smartphone. I also use them on a Chord Mojo/Poly and a Chord Hugo TT2 where I find the deep bass I enjoy in Prog rock well controlled and satisfying. I am going to try some open back phones as well though, just the whole pandemic thing has been holding me back.
Tried the Mojo for a while, I liked it, but found the lightning b&w DAC a bit warmer and less metallic so moved back to that.

May 1, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #1,858 of 2,023
Does anyone know of a short audio cable that fits the P9? Like 10cm or so. I think I’m going to make a little project of turning them into a bluetooth set.

May 1, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #1,859 of 2,023
I have always admired the look of the P9. I love brown in a headphone and there are not too many. I have never had the opportunity to hear any B&W headphone:frowning2: One of these days maybe I will.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,860 of 2,023
Been trying these with the Audioquest Cobalt. Not all that impressed, the Mojo seems to deliver a much more interesting performance with these. Actually I don't think the Cobalt does much at all for them personally! They work so well driven from a phone anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back