Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Apr 24, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,576 of 2,022
Eventually I received my lightning cable. Honestly, I never thought it would be made. But wow, what an upgrade for iOS devices. Everything gets tighter and clearer. Highly recommended.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #1,577 of 2,022
Ok, tried the lightening cable for a few days now, and personally I think the mojo is better when it comes to sq. The sound image gets more open, everything sharpens up and gets tighter and clearer. The lightening cable is ok I guess if you´re using P9 when traveling, but when it comes to sq, the mojo is a lot better (and it should be due to its price tag..).

May 8, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #1,578 of 2,022
Anyone compared the red dragonfly with the b&w p9 lightning cable? I noticed quite a big improvement when using the dragonfly instead of the apple lightning cable.

I made the comparison. The AQ sounded slightly better than the lightning cable. A bit more impact and dynamics (same sonic signature). This could be because of the amp included in the AQ.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #1,579 of 2,022
Ok, tried the lightening cable for a few days now, and personally I think the mojo is better when it comes to sq. The sound image gets more open, everything sharpens up and gets tighter and clearer. The lightening cable is ok I guess if you´re using P9 when traveling, but when it comes to sq, the mojo is a lot better (and it should be due to its price tag..).

I agree on both terms - . Big improvement between the mojo vs lightning cable, and of course so it should. But I have another portable DAC, the nextdrive spectra, and this tiny pendrive sounds in my ears equal to the mojo ... and that’s surprising. It helps that the p9 is so easy to drive.

Jun 14, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #1,580 of 2,022
For anybody considering buying, the sound signature seems to be a love it / hate it thing, so you really have to hear them for yourself (and B&W has a nice 60 day trial) Personally I'm a big fan of the P5 and P7, but these didn't work for me

For prospective buyers, here's a quartet of headphone reviewers discussing them extensively and doing some live sound testing and comparison - its not favorable, so if you love the P9s this isn't your video

Discussion starts at 48:05, casual measuring at 1:02:00

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,581 of 2,022
Yes, I know this review stating they are the “worst headphones ever”. However, I noticed that they talk about the “cheap plastic” on the top and at the back of the cups. I saw some European Amazon reviews which state that there are some fake p9 out there, and they are distinguished by a plastic top and back-cup instead of hardened, real leather (difficult to fake). I therefore assume that these guys used a fake p9 for review, because even if someone dislikes the signature sound, I could not at all relate to what they are saying about the headphones, and for sure they are not as bad as they describe it.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #1,582 of 2,022
For anybody considering buying, the sound signature seems to be a love it / hate it thing, so you really have to hear them for yourself (and B&W has a nice 60 day trial) Personally I'm a big fan of the P5 and P7, but these didn't work for me

For prospective buyers, here's a quartet of headphone reviewers discussing them extensively and doing some live sound testing and comparison - its not favorable, so if you love the P9s this isn't your video

Morons

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,583 of 2,022

I am really going to use these little boys as headphone experts. What dip s&@ts.

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,584 of 2,022
Yes, I know this review stating they are the “worst headphones ever”. However, I noticed that they talk about the “cheap plastic” on the top and at the back of the cups. I saw some European Amazon reviews which state that there are some fake p9 out there, and they are distinguished by a plastic top and back-cup instead of hardened, real leather (difficult to fake). I therefore assume that these guys used a fake p9 for review, because even if someone dislikes the signature sound, I could not at all relate to what they are saying about the headphones, and for sure they are not as bad as they describe it.
I don't think they would know the difference. Little boys posing.

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #1,585 of 2,022
While the P9 isn't for everybody, it certainly is far, far from the worst headphone ever, what tripe. I liked the P7 very much, and while I was less fond initially of the P9, despite the at times over-ripe bass, it has an engaging and musical signature. Absolutely some recordings will not fare well on the P9, we can say that about many headphones mind you, but the P9 is coloured in such a way as to be deliberate. Some will hate, some will love it, some won't really have much feeling one way or the other. My friend graciously loaned me his P9 for several weeks and I really did enjoy them and get to understand them. You go into the P9 understanding they are not audiophile neutral, they are a take on musical and for me, they won me over. Now saying that, I'm not sure I would be a player at full retail (at release) but for a more reasonable sum I could make the case why having them in my collection would be a wonderful addition.

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,586 of 2,022
Thanks for this interesting review, and I totally agree with all what you are saying. I actually find that the P9 excels with music files where my other headphone, the HD800S, is failing. The HD800S most certainly is unforgiving to low quality files, the P9 is generous with them. The HD800S is totally unsuitable for any type of metal/punk music, and the P9 loves it. The HD800S is dry and analytical, and the P9 is fun orientated to save the day in the subway. Well, also one is closed and the other one open. The complete opposite :)

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,587 of 2,022
Thanks for this interesting review, and I totally agree with all what you are saying. I actually find that the P9 excels with music files where my other headphone, the HD800S, is failing. The HD800S most certainly is unforgiving to low quality files, the P9 is generous with them. The HD800S is totally unsuitable for any type of metal/punk music, and the P9 loves it. The HD800S is dry and analytical, and the P9 is fun orientated to save the day in the subway. Well, also one is closed and the other one open. The complete opposite :)
Yep, I owned the HD800S, and loved it, but there was some music it just wasn't for as you noted.

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #1,588 of 2,022
While the P9 isn't for everybody, it certainly is far, far from the worst headphone ever, what tripe.

Well, not any more tripe than people who like them, love them, or are neutral on them; such is the nature of opinions and I was thinking that was the whole point of this forum ... I could be wrong. and, in their defense, a better known mainstream reviewer of top gear around here said, "They sound like loud, loose farts underwater in a swimming pool" which I'm assuming is not his musical preference.

Personally I didn't think they were that bad - so let's let people know this isn't just a cheerleader thread - you can get multiple views here to prepare you to make an informed decision.

For example earphiles concluded:
To say this headphone looks awesome but doesn’t sound it pretty much sums up my sentiments. It is not even comfortable. I was initially going to just post some impressions but such a market entrance and thought out design deserves a full review, even if it is not a good one. My modified Pioneer HRM-7 sounds better in almost every way with a few exceptions of it sounding dirtier, less refined, and less transparent(inner clarity). It is a gorgeously opulent set of cans but doesn’t deliver enough sound quality for the price and I hope B&W learns from this one and I wish them well for future releases.

The point is simply to present alternative views for curious buyers and it's surprising how defensive people in this thread are.

I like broccoli, but I'm not mad if others don't, nor does it make me enjoy my broccoli less. Why all the defensiveness here?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #1,589 of 2,022
@GrussGott, I didn't think anybody would interpret my post as trying to skew the thread toward cheerleading. I'm all for different viewpoints, but there can be viewpoints that stray so far from anything remotely objective that they become simply spectacle. Calling the P9 the worst headphone ever I think qualifies as tripe, hence my post.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #1,590 of 2,022
@GrussGott, I didn't think anybody would interpret my post as trying to skew the thread toward cheerleading. I'm all for different viewpoints, but there can be viewpoints that stray so far from anything remotely objective that they become simply spectacle. Calling the P9 the worst headphone ever I think qualifies as tripe, hence my post.

Sure, just pointing out that this thread is for opinions on the P9s, not opinions of other people's opinions (I'm far from immune to that temptation)

DMS3, Metal, Zeos, and Josh have listened to hundreds of headphones over many years - because of that it's easy to understand their preferences and adjust accordingly. As an example I find myself somewhere between Aornic and Metal, with both DMS and Z liking more treble than I do. Their individual reviews are great ... Their podcast though ... keeps it pretty casual so I understand people not liking it or them. Great resource for me though, and equal to aornic.

One reviewer that burned me was Tyll - when I was first starting out I took his recommendation on the Aeon flow and that was a horrible choice for me ... not his fault of course, he has his preferences and I simply didn't know how they compared to mine. Now I do. Needless to say, Tyll is the worst reviewer for me but he seems like a great guy and the industry is less without him. (I also don't believe much in measurements - his debate on that topic with Guttenberg is epic!)

in any event, the P9 didn't work out for me and Th-X00 did, so for anyone looking to buy: if you like the P7 for its bass, for me a step up was the TH-X00 over the P9, and from there maybe an emu teak, and then the ZMF atticus once you get to P9 $$.

For those that like or love the p9 - awesome!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back