Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Mar 16, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,066 of 2,022
  I emailed their UK head office and they confirmed the drivers are exactly the same as in wired model. And since the frequency charts look the same too, you can take a gander at which one of us is correct.

There's too much snake oil being sold/told on these forums... People should try to stay more objective in their "impressions".

I am pretty sure that is incorrect, might be worth checking again.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,067 of 2,022
Instead of all this fighting about built quality maybe we could get some comparisons between Z1R and the P9. Especially the bass, how boomy is the bass on the P9 compared to the Z1R ?

I have the Z1R(and love it) but need a more portable headphone for travel. Not necessarily on the the go but more for hotel rooms etc.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,068 of 2,022
  I am pretty sure that is incorrect, might be worth checking again.

You misunderstand me. I don't really care as I already have a P9, P7 etc.

My issue was that people here are saying they're better to others who are wondering if it's worth paying more for the wireless model for sound quality. And the answer to that is no. The drivers are the same. The ear cushions make a little difference, but you can buy those separately and use them on the wired model. You should only consider the wireless one if you need the bluetooth connectivity. And also understand that the sound quality is not as good as when used with the wire.
If sound quality is your only consideration, you should get the wired model or save for P9. P5 S2 is pretty good too.

Like I said in the previous post, I don't like people posting their subjective (false) impressions as truth since the facts state otherwise.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,069 of 2,022

My issue was that people here are saying they're better to others who are wondering if it's worth paying more for the wireless model for sound quality. And the answer to that is no. The drivers are the same. The ear cushions make a little difference, but you can buy those separately and use them on the wired model.

Like I said in the previous post, I don't like people posting their subjective (false) impressions as truth since the facts state otherwise.

So you are saying your impressions of them being the same are correct, but others who don't agree with you are false? Interesting.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,070 of 2,022
So you are saying your impressions of them being the same are correct, but others who don't agree with you are false? Interesting.

My issue was that people here are saying they're better to others who are wondering if it's worth paying more for the wireless model for sound quality. And the answer to that is no. The drivers are the same. The ear cushions make a little difference, but you can buy those separately and use them on the wired model. You should only consider the wireless one if you need the bluetooth connectivity. And also understand that the sound quality is not as good as when used with the wire.
If sound quality is your only consideration, you should get the wired model or save for P9. P5 S2 is pretty good too.

Not trying to butt in here, but for the sake of peace, can we verify whether or not the drivers are the same? Because that would be objective and indisputable in terms of sound production at least.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,071 of 2,022

I haven't said any impressions. I only care about facts. If you look at my posts you can see I haven't said a single thing about how I think they sound.

Sound is too subjective to give any meaningful impressions in my opinion. You should only trust real measurements. If B&W have said the drivers are the same AND measurements confirm they charts are the same then there's not really much room to discuss if they sound different.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #1,072 of 2,022
  I haven't said any impressions. I only care about facts. If you look at my posts you can see I haven't said a single thing about how I think they sound.

Sound is too subjective to give any meaningful impressions in my opinion. You should only trust real measurements. If B&W have said the drivers are the same AND measurements confirm they charts are the same then there's not really much room to discuss if they sound different.

They are not the same drivers. I spent a good amount of time discussing this on the phone with B&W personally. Here is another source that seems to have the same information: http://www.audioxpress.com/article/bowers-wilkins-introduces-new-p7-wireless-and-p3-series-2-headphones

"The new B&W P7 Wireless builds on the dual success of the original (wired) circumaural P7 and the P5 Wireless. According to B&W, thanks to the acoustic advances made with the original P7 drive units, sound performance is now much improved, bass is tighter, vocals are more defined, and there’s a better sense of space, balance and clarity across the whole frequency range. The focus of the design was on the new 40mm dynamic drivers, featuring a Nylon damped cone CCAW coil and dual cavity ear replaceable ultra-soft memory foam cushions, creating a comfortable and high-quality listening experience.​"

I'll accept your apology for your snide comments.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #1,073 of 2,022
Not trying to butt in here, but for the sake of peace, can we verify whether or not the drivers are the same? Because that would be objective and indisputable in terms of sound production at least.

For the sake of staying neutral, I suggest anyone interested should just email their UK offices where they design their products. They have been very responsive to emails so far.

I'll accept your apology for your snide comments.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I don't know who you have talked to but they're wrong too. And like I said, I don't care what you think. I just want to inform potential buyers to take every "impression" said here with a grain of salt.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,074 of 2,022
It is worth considering that your source was incorrect. So far I have provided at least some evidence to support my claim. So this other reviewing site which clearly states that they also heard from B&W that the driver is redesigned for the P7 wireless is also mistaken I guess. By the way, I have also heard from other head-fi members who have contacted B&W and heard the same thing.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,075 of 2,022

It is worth considering that your source was incorrect. So far I have provided at least some evidence to support my claim. So this other reviewing site which clearly states that they also heard from B&W that the driver is redesigned for the P7 wireless is also mistaken I guess.

None of the official B&W PR have said anything about new driver, only about new ear cushions. Secondly, which one of our sources do you think is correct if the ACTUAL frequency measurements are same between P7 and P7W? Please, take a second to think before answering.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,076 of 2,022

None of the official B&W PR have said anything about new driver, only about new ear cushions. Secondly, which one of our sources do you think is correct if the ACTUAL frequency measurements are same between P7 and P7W? Please, take a second to think before answering.

So you think simple frequency measurements tell the whole story? I think I'm done here.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #1,078 of 2,022
B&W is now e-mailing me proof that the drivers are different, but perhaps they are also wrong?

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #1,079 of 2,022
  You're joking, right? This is exactly what's wrong with these forums.

I guess you think Nordost USB cables make a difference too?

Like I said, I encourage anyone interested to contact B&W themselves.

No I don't believe in cables or high resolution audio either. Any more questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back