Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Oct 17, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #346 of 2,023
So I briefly heard the P9 today. I intend to go back again and listen more as sadly it was just out of my phone. It does sound very nice and I can tell with an amp to give it some better current the P9 would start to shine more. I didn't mind the mid bass bloom, I thought in my brief time that while present, it was still a well controlled and integrated bass emphasis. Maybe with more time I would have a different opinion? Anyway, the build is simply fantastic, just a work of art to hold. I am only so so about the looks, actually just the radiating pattern surrounding the center cup, otherwise I think it is stunning to look at.

So here is where I believe B&W really screwed up. There is no way in hell this is a portable, it is rather large and slightly heavy. I can't imagine anybody using it as a mobile headphone, I really can't. So, it is then a design trying to serve two purposes rather than picking one and being all that it can be. In my mind if it is a portable it needs to be smaller and perhaps lighter, but the weight is less of a concern to me. Sure the sound signature would change by changing the size, but it just can't be a portable, no way, no how. So, why bother trying to make the portable aspect work?

So lets assume that the true intended purpose is a home headphone. Well, then the cable choice is odd, why have it terminated as 3.5mm needing a 1/4" adapter for true home use? It just seems like B&W wanted to offer something to everyone, and in doing so made compromises along the way.

This is not to say anything about the sound quality, I suspect it is a rather nice sound signature, and I wish I had more time, but I was focused on auditioning the P7 wireless, which I did buy. As well, as a portable the cable that non-Apple users would have to use is far too long, simply not even close to a portable length cable. So B&W, please tell us, what is the target use for this beautiful headphone as I can't figure it out? Shame as I think this is a missed opportunity, and believe me, I went in today with some serious hope to be tempted into buying the P9, I might have even ignored the lack of Bluetooth had it been even slightly appropriate as a portable.

In my mind the signature should be retained, but the P9 should be configured and marketed as a non-portable. Just my thought.

Can you write up a quick comparison between the P9 and the P7 wireless since you've heard both? How does the P7 wireless stack up and how similar or different are their sound signatures?

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #347 of 2,023
Can you write up a quick comparison between the P9 and the P7 wireless since you've heard both? How does the P7 wireless stack up and how similar or different are their sound signatures?

I wish I could, I'm really sorry but believe it or not I have hardly had any time with the P7 today which really sucks. I can say with some certainty that they are voiced fairly similar. The same DNA runs in those sound signatures. I'm sure with enough time and comparing some differences will be clear, for one, it was evident that the P9 had a more spacious soundstage in all directions. As well, while I would say that the mid-bass hump was of similar amplitude, the P9 struck me as better controlled bass with less resonance from the enclosure.

I didn't think they sounded very different per say, but essentially the P9 was a more expansive sounding, and more polished version of the P7. Again, do take that with a grain of salt, I didn't have enough time with the P9 to really dig into it. I intend to go back in the next few days with a portable amp and try it out more and I'll endeavor to do a better job comparing them. I think if somebody overall enjoyed the P9, but couldn't quite get behind it as $900 the P7 is a viable option at $400.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #348 of 2,023
I wish I could, I'm really sorry but believe it or not I have hardly had any time with the P7 today which really sucks. I can say with some certainty that they are voiced fairly similar. The same DNA runs in those sound signatures. I'm sure with enough time and comparing some differences will be clear, for one, it was evident that the P9 had a more spacious soundstage in all directions. As well, while I would say that the mid-bass hump was of similar amplitude, the P9 struck me as better controlled bass with less resonance from the enclosure.

I didn't think they sounded very different per say, but essentially the P9 was a more expansive sounding, and more polished version of the P7. Again, do take that with a grain of salt, I didn't have enough time with the P9 to really dig into it. I intend to go back in the next few days with a portable amp and try it out more and I'll endeavor to do a better job comparing them. I think if somebody overall enjoyed the P9, but couldn't quite get behind it as $900 the P7 is a viable option at $400.
[/quote.....I own most totl headphones today including the p9s, utopia and the elears..
The p9 on my centrance hifi m8 sounds spectacular..readily brings a smile to my face..work on art really..bass is sublime, top frequency the closest to a top of the line speakers..nothing come even close to it in my opinion..none of the top of the line headphone produce twitter response like these do..
The Utopia's in my opinion are really a status phones, fantastic but somewhat overpriced.
The elears is the as good as the p9s with amazing clarity and adequate soundstage.these assertions are purely subjective i haste to add...Happy listening folks!!!!!

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #349 of 2,023
@Kukua, glad to hear, and yes, even though my audition was not at all adequate, I could hear that the P9 had something special. I may just order a set from Amazon to compare here at home.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #351 of 2,023
This. I was very surprised by that as well.
masterpiece and/or world class are words overtly overused....the p9 especially the upper frequency response is truly world class. There's simply no other headphone in the world today even close to the upper frequency clarity and surreal reproduction as the p9s.
Truly spectacular!!

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #352 of 2,023
Hi! :)

Here are my (subjective!) 2 cents on the P9 Signature....

I've had the P9 currently at home for a few days, now - but I will definitely send it back (using B&Ws 60 days return option).
The build quality of the headphone is incredible. It fits very good on my (big) head, the weight is acceptable.
I've been impressed!

But when I listened to it the first time, I was a little bit shocked.
I have a playlist for testing new headphones, and the first song on the list is "Phantom of the Opera" from Iron Maiden's "Live After Death" Album.
The song was sounding really awful because of the overly pronounced bass, which lead to Steve Harris' bass guitar coming way to intense, wedging everything above (guitars, vocal)
 After this strange first impression, I tried tons of other songs and music styles, from Vivaldi to Slayer.

This is my verdict:
Put the bass problem asides, the Headphone is great. Great resolution, good sound stage, everything sounds excellent.
In the best case, if the song doesn't have pronounced bass, the headphone sounds warm and wonderful.
But in the worst case, if the song has a broad bass, bass guitars etc, the lower spectrum gets bloated and indifferent, loses it's shapes, starts to hum and overlay the higher part of the spectrum.

After listening a random playlist I've developed some dislike against the sound of the P9.
I tried it on several days, because sound recognition often is a matter of personal mood - but the result was always the same.

My personal reference system I've compared it to is the Shure SE 846.

I'm also comparing it to the P7 Wireless which I also have here.  
Compared to the P7 wireless, my personal thought is that the P7s sound signature is what the P9's should have been.
It is also warm with a intense bass....but without this "toooo much!"

So I'm sending back the P9, because I won't spend 900 € on a headphone which has a explicit downside and which doesn't have any wow-effect for me.

Your cognition may differ from mine, it surely is a matter of personal preferences. :)

Many greetings,
Stephan

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #353 of 2,023
Hi! :)

Here are my (subjective!) 2 cents on the P9 Signature....

I've had the P9 currently at home for a few days, now - but I will definitely send it back (using B&Ws 60 days return option).
The build quality of the headphone is incredible. It fits very good on my (big) head, the weight is acceptable.
I've been impressed!

But when I listened to it the first time, I was a little bit shocked.
I have a playlist for testing new headphones, and the first song on the list is "Phantom of the Opera" from Iron Maiden's "Live After Death" Album.
The song was sounding really awful because of the overly pronounced bass, which lead to Steve Harris' bass guitar coming way to intense, wedging everything above (guitars, vocal)
 After this strange first impression, I tried tons of other songs and music styles, from Vivaldi to Slayer.

This is my verdict:
Put the bass problem asides, the Headphone is great. Great resolution, good sound stage, everything sounds excellent.
In the best case, if the song doesn't have pronounced bass, the headphone sounds warm and wonderful.
But in the worst case, if the song has a broad bass, bass guitars etc, the lower spectrum gets bloated and indifferent, loses it's shapes, starts to hum and [COLOR=000000]overl[/COLOR]ay the higher part of the spectrum.

After listening a random playlist I've developed some dislike against the sound of the P9.
I tried it on several days, because sound recognition often is a matter of personal mood - but the result was always the same.

My personal reference system I've compared it to is the Shure SE 846.

I'm also comparing it to the P7 Wireless which I also have here.  
Compared to the P7 wireless, my personal thought is that the P7s sound signature is what the P9's should have been.
It is also warm with a intense bass....but without this "toooo much!"

So I'm sending back the P9, because I won't spend 900 € on a headphone which has a explicit downside and which doesn't have any wow-effect for me.

Your [COLOR=000000]cognition[/COLOR] may differ from mine, it surely is a matter of personal preferences. :smile:

Many greetings,
Stephan

I completely agree with you.

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #354 of 2,023
So should I stick with my Shure SE846?

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #357 of 2,023
I like your taste in music (Maiden, Vivaldi) - generally I don't think B&W's sound is tailored to metal very well, the heavy lows change the nature of the music. I am enjoying my P7s2 (wireless version, running wires) with Book of Souls especially, but it is a bit different than I'm used to.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #358 of 2,023
I like your taste in music (Maiden, Vivaldi) - generally I don't think B&W's sound is tailored to metal very well, the heavy lows change the nature of the music. I am enjoying my P7s2 (wireless version, running wires) with Book of Souls especially, but it is a bit different than I'm used to.

Do you think the P7 wireless (but using it wired) sounds better than the regular P7?

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #359 of 2,023
Do you think the P7 wireless (but using it wired) sounds better than the regular P7?

Yeah, absolutely. I had the originals for about a year and these are a step up. A bit more bass, but it's better bass. The original was a little boomy, this is deeper and cleaner. Also lost the shrill highs. DM me if you have other questions, don't wanna crowd this thread with P7 talk :wink:

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #360 of 2,023

Oh ya.. p7 wireless is much better than p7 in both wired mode. The difference is much more than $50 price difference would have suggested. So, in a way you are not paying extra for wireless but you get a better sound plus wireless. Wilress mode is superb compared to any other wireless headphones i ever tried as well, miles better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back