Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Oct 4, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #46 of 2,022
Oct 4, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #48 of 2,022
It looks like a few reviewers only got to briefly listen to the P9 at some press event.

Hopefully we wont have to wait too much longer for the actual reviews of the P9 to start showing up.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #51 of 2,022
I own the P7 and i think their isolation is quite ok. Since i use them in public transport, i need some isolation.

Now White Lotus says isolation better on the P9, while Tony-Hifi says its quite poor. 

Help me out here please, was the P7 isolation so bad? @Tony-Hifi do you agree the isolation is better on P9 than P7? :)

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #52 of 2,022
Hi Slame,

I just put the two headphones together and tried them both out with the same tracks and volume settings, the P9 isolation is not as good as that of the P7. Obviously the sound quality has greatly improved and, but if listening at high volumes you will definitely get sound leakage, and at very low volumes external noise is slightly more prevalent compared to the P7.

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #54 of 2,022
Went to a store and auditioned the P9 today. In direct comparison to the P7 (which was next to it), the P9 is quite a lot better. The angled drivers did more for the soundstage than I expected, as the sound is clearly pushed from your sides to in front of you. The first thing that struck me about the sound was that it's distinctly colored. Something about it doesn't sound neutral. But at the same time it didn't seem to be to any detriment, as the general fidelity and separation of the sound was superb. In complex multilayered sequences it was very easy to follow along to any bit of the music I liked, which I'm used to from the HD 800. The P9 is playing in a higher league compared to the P7, that's for sure. When I went back to the P7, they always sounded tiny and tinny, with poor bass extension and exaggerated treble.

With all the B&W headphones I feel the designers have been aiming for a colored sound that makes all music sound good, without ruining the high fidelity experience of higher grade equipment. Their attempts have been a bit hit and miss in the past IMO, but the P9 feels like a hit. The headphones are the nicest built I've experienced, with only the Ultrasone Edition 8 rivalling it, and the audio quality hits a great balance between detail and fun. I think a lot of people are going to enjoy these.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #56 of 2,022
As I think I may have mentioned before, we have been lucky enough to have the chance to meet the audio engineers behind the P9 Signature ( see the video below) and they use the Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series loudspeakers as the benchmark to follow when they are tuning their headphones. If you ever get the chance to listen to these speakers you will be (almost quite literally) blown away.

Obviously it is very difficult for the engineers to get to the same level of sound quality that the B&W 800 Diamond series speakers can achieve, however this is the sound signature they are trying to match. As they say why should they compromise themselves by aiming any lower. Their ambition is to reach as high as they can within the limitations that the (any) headphone based design imposes on the audio engineer.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #57 of 2,022
The P9 is a significant upgrade from the P7.

Thanks for the feedback!  Have you tried Elear by the way?  If so, can you please provide any comparison between these two similarly priced cans?  Personally, when you used $500 Senn HD630vb as the reference point in your comparison section $900 P9, I started to doubt the value proposition of P9.. :)

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #58 of 2,022
  This is a question to someone who has heard these cans.... Why does the frequency response start at a super human low 2-hz ??? Do they really hit that low ? 

​Most manufacturers like to use ridiculous numbers for their FR specs.  How they get those numbers is almost never revealed. 

While they may state that a headphone has a FR of 1Hz-100KHz, what they don't tell you is that the cutoff points for that measurement is -80dB.  What that means is that while the extremes of the FR may be technically measureable, they will most definitely not be audible.
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #59 of 2,022

​Most manufacturers like to use ridiculous numbers for their FR specs.  How they get those numbers is almost never revealed. 

While they may state that a headphone has a FR of 1Hz-100KHz, what they don't tell you is that the cutoff points for that measurement is -80dB.  What that means is that while the extremes of the FR may be technically measureable, they will most definitely not be audible.
wink.gif

Okay... Cool sounds good. So pretty much looking into the frequency range is a waste of time then. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back