Bowers and Wilkins C5 Right Ear Connection Issues
Dec 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

y3llowassassin

Head-Fier
Recently my iem's have been acting quite strange. the right earbud does not work properly and i do not think it is the cable/wire that has loosened as the braided wires can be seen through the cable. When I have them in turning my head will sometimes bring sound back into the right earbud. Usually when I first begin to listen both earbuds work but once i move my head the sound from the right dissapears. I am using the Pa2V2 amplifier and i know it's not the amplifier that is causing the faulty communication. Help anybody?
I did plug these into my friends Millet Max amplifier to see what it was like. Maybe the amp fried some wires?

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Alright I have figured out that it has to do with the right driver. whenever the driver is positioned at different angles the sound comes out or it doesn't. So i think drivers might be dislocated. Any way to fix this?

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 7
Do you hear crackling when you insert the IEM?  If so, I think you may have some driver flex.  Driver flex explains what you've said thus far. 

Driver flex is caused by two things:
  1. Loose driver positioning
  2. Strong seal
Basically, when you insert your IEM, the air is pushed and since it's pushed on the driver, the driver actually will move (if the positioning is a little looser).  When misaimed, you may get the illusion that it is no longer producing sound. 

Solutions to driver flex are hard to come by.  One solution would be to get a ported IEM (C5s are ported) which allows air pressure to equalize, but this isn't always a good solution.  Another thing to try is to lift up the pinna of your ear and push down on the IEM, releasing air pressure, then releasing the IEM, then the pinna recreating an acoustic seal.  There may be other DIY options, but if the above didn't help you (lifting pinna), then this is normally covered by warranty.

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 7
hmm i think you have correctly identified the problem. the pinna solution didn't really work. I lost the receipt for the headphones so i can't get a warranty. Do you know of any diy solutions? It seems the micro porous filter can be removed but i'm having a hard time removing it. The driver sometimes won't play even without the tip so i think the driver may be pretty badly dislocated.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Keep your receipt next time, this normally can't be fixed without replacement.

You can try emailing CS though still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back