Bower & Wilkins P5 vs. Sony MDR1RBT
Jul 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

pandamercury

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy my first pair of pretty expensive headphones. My last ones were a pair of Shure SE215

I narrowed my choices down to Bowers P5 and Sony MDR1RBT based on sound, design style, and practicality

I have tried the P5 in stores and I think it's worth the price, however my problem is the fact that replacement cables on eBay are $70 a piece, plus there are no angled cables for it. I like the sound, I think it gives a very exciting experience, I like the slim style and think it looks good on me. I don't know how much effort would it be to maintain the leather portion of the headphones, as well, I do notice that they leak sound, as well as not be able to cancel noise entirely.

I have NOT tried the Sony yet because there are no places locally where they have them out for demo. However, the specs say that they have a much better sound range than the P5 (4Hz more lower frequency and 60kHz more higher frequency), they're NFC Bluetooth wireless which would be perfect for my Xperia ZL and playing on my console without disturbing anyone, they also have the option of being wired with an angled cable, and APPARENTLY they do a good job at cancelling noise. Downside is that they are $100 more, and I don't look as good with them on as I do with the P5. I look like Princess Leia's cousin...

Basically it goes down to I've experienced the p5 for myself an liked it, but from what I see online, the Sony is much better but I don't know how it is for myself, I just know that I might look a bit of a dork with it.

So with that out of the way, I listen to music from Classical to Death Metal. I'd like to use these headphones for outside as well as indoor. If you guys have any experience with these, please offer some insights, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back