Boutique parts from Mouser?
Jan 15, 2009 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
I've seen people post about various "finds" at Mouser, such as Muse caps or Kiwame resistors.

Of course when I got to order parts, I can never find these, so I'm starting this thread hoping we can compile a list of these "boutique" parts from the mainstream vendor.

So list the mouser part numbers for your favorite parts.

Short term, I'm looking for the Kiwame resistors and the Muse caps
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen people post about various "finds" at Mouser, such as Muse caps or Kiwame resistors.

Of course when I got to order parts, I can never find these, so I'm starting this thread hoping we can compile a list of these "boutique" parts from the mainstream vendor.

So list the mouser part numbers for your favorite parts.

Short term, I'm looking for the Kiwame resistors and the Muse caps
wink.gif

Well, not exactly Kiwame... but I'm told they're the "same", search KOA SPR2 or SPR5 for 2W or 5W. There a few values to choose from.

For Boutique caps, the only I've seen are a few Nichicon Muse ES (UES), Nichicon KZ (UKZ), and Nichicon FW (UFW) capacitors.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 14
They also have organic polymer capacitors, under the name "Vishay OS-CON".

I'm not up on the status of the "original" Sanyo OS-CON. Maybe Vishay took over production of them? In any case, they have amazing specs. A 47uf 20v has about a 2600 ripple rating, ESR of 40.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 14
I've used the Nichicon KW caps from Mouser on 2 projects now, which according to the Nichicon datasheets is a step up from FW in sound quality. I've used them in a gainclone and a starving student.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 14
Now if only digikey would follow suit and offer some better caps from the Nichicon line up......thanks for the heads up guys.....

Peete.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Vishay-Sprague Orange Drop 715P

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 14
How about the Nichicon KZ line of electrolytic caps?

According to Nichicon, this should be one of the best for audio applications. Mouser has a decent variety of values available with higher voltages then the ES line. The KZ are also part of Nichicon's "Muse" line (like ES).

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the Nichicon KZ line of electrolytic caps?

According to Nichicon, this should be one of the best for audio applications. Mouser has a decent variety of values available with higher voltages then the ES line. The KZ are also part of Nichicon's "Muse" line (like ES).

Yeah that's what I used when I built the SSMH months back. They sound great.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vishay-Sprague Orange Drop 715P

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 715's have steel leads -- the 716's are the good ones.

Those come in tiny values!

What do you use them for? Bypassing electrolytics?

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #12 of 14
[size=xx-small]duplicate post, please ignore[/size]

Jan 20, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #13 of 14
Orange Drops are great audio coupling capacitors. Last I checked, you could get them in up to 0.47uF, which is "enough" for this, in a lot of circuits.

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 14
I just received a bag of UES1E220MEM 22uF 25V bipolar Nichicons from Mouser. They are trademark green with "Muse" labeling. Definitely the boutique stuff like what I used to buy from Parts Connexion years ago. This is kind of stuff you'd use in signal path (if you have to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back