Bourbon!
Mar 20, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #61 of 83
Oooh, I haven't heard of that one. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to try it some day! (maybe graduation?
tongue.gif
)

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #62 of 83
When I lived down South, one of the favorites was. Pretty standard but it's newest addition is a real winner.

Virgina Gentlemen

Notice the label change. It costs about $21
804901.jpg

Another favorite was George Dickel - Tennessee Sipping Whiskey. Well you can argue it does not say bourbon on the label like Jack Black but both taste like burbon.

homepage2006_04.gif

There are still a number of bottled-in-bond bourbons which are by law 100 proof. Henry McKenna, Old Forester and Old Granddad are a few that are available.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #63 of 83
When I lived down South, one of the favorites was Virginia Gentlemen. Pretty standard but it's newest addition is a real winner.

90 Proof and darn good
Virgina Gentlemen

Notice the label change. It costs about $21
804901.jpg

Another favorite was George Dickel - Tennessee Sipping Whiskey. Well you can argue it does not say bourbon on the label like Jack Black but both taste like burbon.

homepage2006_04.gif

There are still a number of bottled-in-bond bourbons which are by law 100 proof. Henry McKenna, Old Forester and Old Granddad are a few that are available.

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #65 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyson -

Would be interested to know if you have sampled "Rebel Yell" and what your thoughts on it might be?

- augustwest

Rebel Yell was very popular and it was a favorite on football weekends. IMO a little more harsh than a Jack Daniels. Left alone, I usually bought the George Dickel white label. I always thought it was smoother than Jack but that's my opinion.

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #68 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't beat "Maker's Mark" IMHO

give evan williams single barrel a shot, as well as ellija Craig, both great bargin whiskeys

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #69 of 83
"Rebel Yell was very popular and it was a favorite on football weekends. IMO a little more harsh than a Jack Daniels."

I've drank quite a bit of each of those two and I always thought that the Rebel Yell was smoother. Just my opinion.

- augustwest

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #70 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I lived down South, one of the favorites was Virginia Gentlemen. Pretty standard but it's newest addition is a real winner.

These guys make a chipotle sauce that is pretty good!

I can't find Van Winkle here in N.C., but the Blanton's single barrel is pretty nice--a little less spicy as far as I can tell...

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #72 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
give evan williams single barrel a shot, as well as ellija Craig, both great bargin whiskeys

I bought a bottle of the EWSB 1996 a few days ago and I must say I really like it. I had tried the 1995 before and liked it as well but I think the 96 is better. YMMV

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #73 of 83
I love me the scotch, I love me the bourbon.

I had some of the Irish Red Breast, tonight -- reminded me of an American rye. Good, smooth, but w/o the coal fire tang I expect of the Irish.

Bourbon, the creation of corn and its attendant sugars. Oh, I'm such a fan. And the charred oak... (I once burned my bed's oak headboard, by accident, w/a candle, and loved the smell of the charred wood so much it would sooth me as I went to sleep -- and this was before I came to love bourbon and it's charred oak finish.)

Knob Creek -- so veddy, veddy smooth, so good w/peanut butter sandwiches. It's true!

Elijiah Craig -- outstanding for its price point. Order w/o shame!

Evan Williams Single Barrel -- what to order for under $40 or so per bottle. Seriously fantastic.

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #75 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread, I've tried them all except Classic Cask and Maker's Mark Black. Anybody like Weller? It's a wheated bourbon, they make a few different bottles.

I have been a Maker's Mark fan for a long time. I even toured the distillery and have a barrel with my name on it. However, I have never even heard of "Maker's Mark Black." Can you provide any details about "Maker's Mark Black?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back