Boulder 812
Apr 30, 2022 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gianni60

100+ Head-Fier
Someone listened ?

Seems very interesting,i will go to listen to my friend Italian distributor Audiograffiti around 15/20 may when will arrive in Italy for the first time.
He is distributor also of Viva,so i will compare Viva egoista with Boulder 812

May 1, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 14
I don't think anyone is talking about it too much.

Boulder - 812 DAC + Preamp + Headphone amp
https://boulderamp.com/products/812-dac-preamplifier-headphone-amplifier/

And for anyone else who may be confused seeing different pictures, the headphone socket section of the 812 also has a metal cover that can fit in there, protecting/covering the outputs. But it fits in there -really- well, so sometimes it looks like a "separate" product that doesn't come with the headphone amp section.

Overall, to me, the 812 looks like a, maybe, comparable luxury high-end DAC+Preamp+Headphone AIO like the dCS Bartók. The Bartók seems to have really earned it's reputation, so hopefully this Boulder 812 can too.

It's a bit hard to imagine this holding its own vs. a Viva Egoista, dedicated, statement headphone amplifier. The Egoista will need a DAC, so that will affect things and you could actually feed the 812 with that same DAC to isolate what you're comparing, but then you're comparing a statement amp vs. a statement company's AIO amp section.

Let us know the results, especially if you can pull in a dCS Bartók or some of the Bartók scene guys who might be interested and have the means.

May 1, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 14
Dcs Bartok is only a dac,while Bouler is a streamer/dac plus amp.
Has also 4.4 input so can use also with iem.
You have right,is not usefil compare with Viva Egoista,because is only an amp,so need to add a dac,while 812 is a streamer/dac/pre/amp,all in one,so is a different product.
But Audiograffiti is distributor for both,so is simple to trial if not sold in meantime Egoista

May 1, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 14
There is an ongoing thread in the dedicated source component section. They are also discussing the headphone out power, still up in the air.

May 1, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #7 of 14
Someone listened ?

Seems very interesting,i will go to listen to my friend Italian distributor Audiograffiti around 15/20 may when will arrive in Italy for the first time.
He is distributor also of Viva,so i will compare Viva egoista with Boulder 812
Looking forward to your review:thumbsup:

May 10, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Dcs Bartok is only a dac,while Bouler is a streamer/dac plus amp.
Has also 4.4 input so can use also with iem.
You have right,is not usefil compare with Viva Egoista,because is only an amp,so need to add a dac,while 812 is a streamer/dac/pre/amp,all in one,so is a different product.
But Audiograffiti is distributor for both,so is simple to trial if not sold in meantime Egoista
Actually, as you can see in the attached picture, the dCS Bartók comes with a preamp stage and headphone amplifier, just like the 812 does. It might be an option, but I believe many of them are sold like this vs. just as a DAC.

The feedback has already been quite positive about the whole package.

1652180759710.png

Attachments

• 1652172858197.png
    1652172858197.png
    379.9 KB · Views: 0
May 10, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 14
I was thinking 812 because can use with dap and iem with pentacomm,or with my cd instead dap,if quality will be better,need to try.
Bartok is a good dac to connect to hifi system and listen with earphone

May 24, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 14
I saw 812 in Munich show,is very nice and i asked why only 0.200 watt,seems no good for the power.
They reply that is high current amp and can drive well every earphone.
Arrived to my friend italian distributor Audiograffiti and next week or the other week i will go to listen with my Lotoo and my iem
and i will report

May 24, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 14
For 300 ohm h/p such as Senn HD600, ZMFs, the output in mw seems paltry. In the manual / website, I did not find any discussion of voltage swing capability (a la Phonitor and Violectric) - needed for driving high impedance h/p…😒

May 24, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 14
I would like to see what a Boulder rendition of a DAC-less / streamer-less headphone amplifier would be. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Next tuesday i will go to italian Boulder distributor my friend ti listen and try with Aroma jewel.
I can use it connecting my Kalista dreamplay One to listen cd and my phono CH Precision P1 to listen vynil,over Lotoo if is possible to connect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back