Bought Westone W80 - What else do I need?
Feb 16, 2020 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jeff6605

New Head-Fier
I have the W80, and I am a NEWBIE. I have seen external players, I don't even know what they are called or if I need one. What should I buy to maximize these W80's?

I am currently using iPhone with the Tidal App. I am looking to get more advanced.

Please recommend next purchases/needs? Thanks!

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 8
I have the W80, and I am a NEWBIE. I have seen external players, I don't even know what they are called or if I need one. What should I buy to maximize these W80's?

I am currently using iPhone with the Tidal App. I am looking to get more advanced.

Please recommend next purchases/needs? Thanks!

I think u are referring to DAPs (Digital Audio Players)? Are you gonna use the W80 more at home or on the go? Generally the home setups for DACs (digital to analogue converter) and Amps are larger than mobile ones. Nowadays there are smaller DAC/AMP dongle/cables that u can attach to your phone, but some people still stack larger DAC/Amps to their phones when outside.

Well for low impedance gear like most IEMs, I don't think you need too much power unlike certain headphones, but some good DAPs/DACs/Amps may improve areas in sound like soundstage, clarity, bass and details. I personally think for IEMs, using these DAPs/DACs/Amps are diminishing returns compared to improving the IEM first, but the W80 is quite high end already, so u will probably get marginal improvements using these.

So a DAP has a DAC chip inside that bypasses all these stacking, and some DAPs have quite good sound quality. Some folks prefer not to carry a seperate DAP (second device) and just stick to their phones with the dongle/cable DAC/AMPs. I personally use a DAP on the go as my phone has limited battery and memory space, especially if u have lots of lossless files, so I don't mind bringing a second device around.

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I guess I would prefer to use my phone over a DAP...could you recommend some of these dongle cable Dac/amps you are mentioning. All I’m using now is the apple lightning to headphone jack converter. Thanks!

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 8
I think u are referring to DAPs (Digital Audio Players)? Are you gonna use the W80 more at home or on the go? Generally the home setups for DACs (digital to analogue converter) and Amps are larger than mobile ones. Nowadays there are smaller DAC/AMP dongle/cables that u can attach to your phone, but some people still stack larger DAC/Amps to their phones when outside.

Well for low impedance gear like most IEMs, I don't think you need too much power unlike certain headphones, but some good DAPs/DACs/Amps may improve areas in sound like soundstage, clarity, bass and details. I personally think for IEMs, using these DAPs/DACs/Amps are diminishing returns compared to improving the IEM first, but the W80 is quite high end already, so u will probably get marginal improvements using these.

So a DAP has a DAC chip inside that bypasses all these stacking, and some DAPs have quite good sound quality. Some folks prefer not to carry a seperate DAP (second device) and just stick to their phones with the dongle/cable DAC/AMPs. I personally use a DAP on the go as my phone has limited battery and memory space, especially if u have lots of lossless files, so I don't mind bringing a second device around.
Which DAP do you use? How do you get lossless files? From offloading them from Tidal or do you have to buy all your CDs and rip them?

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I guess I would prefer to use my phone over a DAP...could you recommend some of these dongle cable Dac/amps you are mentioning. All I’m using now is the apple lightning to headphone jack converter. Thanks!

I use the Tempotec/Hidizs Sonata HD, it is not the best now as it came out some time back. There are better options nowadays like Meizu HiFi and Meizu HIFI Pro, and even a Pro version of the Tempotec Sonata HD.

There's also good reviews for the e1da 9038s , check it out here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e1d...-pdv2-9038s-9038d-9038x-hifitoy-hptoy.915835/

Some may require an OTG cable to be compatible with an apple/android phone so do ask the rest or check out reviews first.

Which DAP do you use? How do you get lossless files? From offloading them from Tidal or do you have to buy all your CDs and rip them?

I use the Ziku HD X9, it is a cheap budget DAP. Sound isn't the best but I got it for the 20+ hour battery life. There's definitely better but more expensive DAPs out there.

U can purchase or download lossless files. Though to be honest I can hardly tell the difference between 320 mp3s and FLACs LOL. Maybe I don't have golden ears.

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 8
With this low impedance IEM, you might need to take note of the output impedance when choosing an amp or amp dac combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back