Bought myself a Christmas present...
Dec 18, 2003 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JefferyK

100+ Head-Fier
The Sennheiser HD 580s are on sale at Amazon, and there's an additional $15 rebate. So, I ordered myself a pair, prompted by comments on this board. Haven't heard them before. Hope I like them more than my beloved Grado SR-80s.

Jeffery

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Congrats!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Welcome to the road of discovery...

Its up to you if you take the next off-ramp, or carry on down the highway of headphone related wallet oblivion
wink.gif

Either way, hope you enjoy your purchase JefferyK
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Jeffery,

Congrats on the new cans. What didn't you like about the Grados? Comfort, overdone highs, etc.?

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 7
SIE...

How I read it is that Jeffery just wants an upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

eek.gif
I've just realised actually, with less than one week until Christmas morning, I have not bought myself any hi-fi related presents
frown.gif

Hmmph

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah, but since he is hoping to like them more, maybe there's something he's hoping to get from these. Either that or an impulse buy due to the cheap price got ahold of him due to the time of year, and now he's hoping he'll like them as much as his Grados.

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Since people were wondering...
smily_headphones1.gif
!

I really like my Grado SR-80s, but they do seem to have some trouble during loud, high passages. I can hear some distortion. I like to listen to opera on headphones, so this can be annoying. Since I moved up to an NAD C320BEE, the distortion has diminished, but it still crops up sometimes.

I'm used to the flat pads, so Grado comfort isn't really an issue for me anymore.

And the Sennheisers were a bit of an impulse purchase! I've read lots of good things regarding the Sennheiser HD 580s and classical/opera. And since they were on sale....

I thought about getting Grado SR-225s, but then decided to try another brand out of curiosity. Plus, folks keep saying that the Sennheisers are better with classical/opera. Guess I'll soon find out for myself.

It's weird. I mean, I'm EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED to my Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif
! I've had them for several years and listened to a lot of great music with them. I almost felt like I was being disloyal when I ordered the Sennheisers.

Jeffery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back