Bought my Karma, and it's messed up out of the Box
Jul 11, 2004 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

wahoox2

100+ Head-Fier
So I decided to geta Karma, and drove 45 minutes to my nearest Best Buy, so that I could get their extended warranty. I get home, open it up, and the screen on the inside looks like it is "peeling" away. It looks kinda like an old screen protector on a PDA does, if it's been in the sun a lot.
Has anyone else heard of this on this player? I seacrhed thru riovolution forums, and couldn't narrow my search enough.
I am absolutely disgusted. I knew I was taking a chance with the Karma, with it's HD probs, but this is uncalled for. And I can't take it back for a replacement, since this was their last one, and their warehouses are out too. I would have to drive an extra 20 minutes to the next store, and that's assuming they had one.
Oh well, I guess I'm gonna take it back, and wait to see what comes out soon.

Jul 11, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 24
Pics please, have no idea what you are talking about in regards to peeling. Karma's ship with some screen protector, but obviously that isn't what you are talking about since you really can't use that shipped screen protector with the imprinted "simulated" screen labels.

Jul 11, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

um, maybe you're supposed to remove the sticky protection for the screen?

I said it's INSIDE the main screen cover. Yes, I'm not so stupid as to leave the "labeled" one on.

Jul 11, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoox2
I said it's INSIDE the main screen cover. Yes, I'm not so stupid as to leave the "labeled" one on.

There's probably a layer of plastic there in order to keep the screen from getting scratched during assembly, which they forgot to take off when they were done. If you're feeling adventurous, you could try to take it off yourself. This may or may not void your warranty, depending on how hard you pull trying to get the bezel off.
icon10.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 24
The karma face plate can be flexed a little off the real LCD screen. Perhaps it is the main face plate pressing against the inner LCD screen? Or is it a defect inside the LCD screen itself. Actually most Karma's seem to have ample space between the face plate and the LCD screen to annoyingly let in dust because of the ample spaces between the rubber grip and other non-sealed entry places (theres no shortage of those with the Karma).

Jul 11, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 24
Tim D, damn, you really hate the Karma don't you? Just because yours looked like crap doesn't mean they all do. mine is seamlessly crafted.

wahoox2, you should call the store to see when they are getting more karmas in. Also, whine and bitch a lot, they might give you a discount for your troubles.

Jul 11, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 24
I don't hate my Karma, and mine looks new and babied. That doesn't make me a fanboy to be deluded enough to not know good design and "ok" design, or realize that there are obvious non-sealed entries that easily allows dust to inner components. I can apply an air duster to the karma to remove visible dust on the "inside" of the Karma. I can apply 1+1 and realize this probably means that the product is not well sealed. And I don't consider having to rely on Best Buy Warranty an acceptable solution to product reliability, and hope that this is taken into account with their next product.

Jul 11, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

There's probably a layer of plastic there in order to keep the screen from getting scratched during assembly, which they forgot to take off when they were done.

That seems like it could be the problem. I would be comfortable taking it apart, except for the fact that the screne is glued on, and I really don't feel like taking the chance of messing it up, and BB not taking it back.

Quote:

wahoox2, you should call the store to see when they are getting more karmas in. Also, whine and bitch a lot, they might give you a discount for your troubles

I already called, I got the last one, and both of their warehouses are empty. I would be surprised if they get any more in at all, knowing how BB's inventory system works. I haven't decided if I will try a different store or not, since it's even farther out of my way.

I'm gonna try again to get some decent pics of it.

Jul 12, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 24
i dont see why there is a discussion on this, call me stupid, but it's new, in warranty and not perfect right out of the box.

take it back and get it replaced, screw trying to get all DIY on it!!

Jul 12, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 24
It's the first time I hear something like this. Ask for a replacement product.

Jul 12, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
I don't hate my Karma, and mine looks new and babied. That doesn't make me a fanboy to be deluded enough to not know good design and "ok" design, or realize that there are obvious non-sealed entries that easily allows dust to inner components. I can apply an air duster to the karma to remove visible dust on the "inside" of the Karma. I can apply 1+1 and realize this probably means that the product is not well sealed. And I don't consider having to rely on Best Buy Warranty an acceptable solution to product reliability, and hope that this is taken into account with their next product.

Had mine for 6 months and literally not one speck of dust in my Karma.

Not sure how you're using yours but it's not been a problem for me.

Jul 13, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

take it back and get it replaced, screw trying to get all DIY on it!!

You guys are not reading what I said. THEY ARE OUT OF STOCK!!! And after talking to a manager I know from another store, they don't know when they will be getting any more in. If they get anymore at all. I can try the otehr stores in the area, but the neext nearest one is an hour away, and I don't have that kind of time to play run-around-town.

Anyways, it looks like Proximal was correct, there WAS a protective coating on the INSIDE screen, that never got taken off during assembly.
I said screw it, took off the faceplate, and took off the coating. All is good now.
Thanks for the link for removing the faceplate; took 5 minutes, and you can't tell it was ever taken off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back