Bought FiiO D3 external DAC and I can't get it to work
Jun 18, 2015 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

boots n cats

New Head-Fier
Newbie here. I hope I didn't post this in the wrong place. Anyways, I've owned a pair of A5+ speakers for years and only recently discovered what external DACs were, so I decided to buy a FiiO D3 (D03k) external DAC. I've plugged it into my Macbook using optical cable, and then the DAC is plugged in to my speakers with a regular AUX cord (the speakers have an internal amp). The DAC is plugged into my computer with a USB cord to power it. When I look at the sound preferences of my Mac, the optical is selected as the output, but no sound comes out the speakers no matter how high I turn them up, except a quiet hiss from having the speakers amplified that high. I've also tried connecting the DAC to the speakers using an RCA cable but that didn't work either. I've opened up Audio MIDI Setup and the built-in output is selected with 44100 Hz 2ch-24bit Integer format. The DAC displays a red light for "Power" and a much dimmer red light for "Locked." Am I doing something wrong or did I get a broken DAC?

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 6
  Newbie here. I hope I didn't post this in the wrong place. Anyways, I've owned a pair of A5+ speakers for years and only recently discovered what external DACs were, so I decided to buy a FiiO D3 (D03k) external DAC. I've plugged it into my Macbook using optical cable, and then the DAC is plugged in to my speakers with a regular AUX cord (the speakers have an internal amp).

What exactly is this AUX cable you use to connect the FiiO D03K to the Audioengine A5+ speakers?
The D03K comes with both 3.5mm and RCA outputs and the A5+ comes with 3.5mm and RCA inputs.
So a lot of different cables (3.5mm & RCA) would connect the D03K to the A5+
Personally I would use an RCA to RCA cable.

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 6
The cord I would like it to work with is a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm aux cord because I'm using the RCA inputs on the speakers for a turntable. However, I have also tried using an RCA to RCA and that didn't work either.

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 6
  The cord I would like it to work with is a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm aux cord because I'm using the RCA inputs on the speakers for a turntable. However, I have also tried using an RCA to RCA and that didn't work either.

My guess is the D03K is broken.

You could get a USB DAC from Hifimediy ($29-$57)
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100
Or maybe try to find a used Schiit Modi DAC (optical or USB) off eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back