Bought Etymotic er4p's, thinking of Shure e4's.
Jan 3, 2006 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

thevelho

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I admit I have been quite dumb and I rushed towards the er4p's on ebay last friday after having read quite a lot of reviews.
Tonight I've been reading even more reviews and I realise that according to most people, the Shures are more polyvalent, and have the bass that the er4p's lack.

I listen to many different styles of music with a predominance for jazz (guitar, vocals, piano) and some classical.

I always loved warm bass sounds and now I am starting to regret my purchase: should I have taken the shures?

My IEM's will be used directly with an iAudio X5. Do you have any particular recommendation for me if I find the bass poor on mu er4p's ? (Equalizer ? Resell the er4p's to get shures ?)

Has anyone tried the two with an X5 or a similar device ?

Thank you!

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 24
SEAL
give them some time, try the other tips, insert them so that you can't see the black transducer, only the blue and red end...

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 24
I actually don't think the Shure e4s have that much more bass than the er4ps. They at least didn't have more than amped ER-4Ss.

The x5s have a great equalizer too, I would mess around with that for a while.

It doesn't sound like you've really listened to them that long either, or at all. Try the foamies and get a good seal.

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 24
i think you made the right decision, as i find the ER-4P to be distinctly superior to the E4c. it'll take some experimentation to get the correct seal for your ears, but once you do i think you'll really like them with your music preferences.

Jan 3, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 24
Thank you for your answers.

You're right Bolt San, I didn't really listen to any of them, it's quite impossible to find any store that has them in France, not Paris...

Anyway, I still can't wait to recieve them,
etysmile.gif
^^.

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 24
I'm very happy with my ER4's.. and the bass is there, just not overpronounced..

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 24
Welcome to Team ETYMOTIC!

You won't regret it! Just remember to, as Ref said, get the fit right. They have great potential! By themselves, they are already very good. Add a good amplifier and the ER4P-24 (P to S adapter) and you got yourself a proper audiophile rig! I think you should decide to get the E4c after a couple weeks of listening to your yet-to-come ER-4P! From a good source like your iAudio X5, the bass should be sufficient.

Jan 3, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 24
I use the X5L, and absolutely love my ER-4P's out of them. 99% of the time, if you are not getting good bass response, it's because of a bad seal. I was using trimmed foamies all along, and I thought I had a good seal, but I was wrong! Just use the black foamies, as is! and you will hear how good the bass can be, trust me!
etysmile.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 24
I have both the x5L and the ER4Ps. These IEM's dont need or lack bass with the X5L's. Use the bass boost and you will be more than fine. I find using the bass boost on max to be bass overkill with the ER-4ps's.

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 24
I think er4p is a perfect match for X5. X5 has probably the strongest (or the boomest, depending on your view) bass of all DAPs out there, and will compensate perfectly for er4p's supposed lack of bass. I've used er6i out of X5, and the matching was very very good. Fiddle around with the EQ a bit, and you'll get really good bass on er4p I bet ya
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 24
Love my E4's with my X5. Get a proper seal and the bass, oh the bass is definately there
basshead.gif
Although theres even more bass through my cd player, which annoys me slightly. But again E4s good, ETY's, also probably good, i just havnt brought myself to part with the money yet.

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 24
Thank you all!!! (The er4p's were dispatchd yesterday and the X5L today... Can't wait!!!)

I hope I'll have the red-blue ones, and not the black ones as some people seem to have recieved ^^ (kidding).

What do you recommend to reduce the microphonic effect? (I'll be mainly using them walking or waiting in public places.)

If I ever have enough money I'll probably buy some e4's to compare them.

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by thevelho
What do you recommend to reduce the microphonic effect? (I'll be mainly using them walking or waiting in public places.)

Put them on normaly, then wrap the cord over your ears.(Like how you wear Shure headphones) I did this all the time with my er6i's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back