Bought Audio Technica M50`s but not happy , any other recommendations?
Jul 30, 2009 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

johnw100

New Head-Fier
Hi all ,

My first post on head-fi
k701smile.gif

I`ve just bought some audio technica ath-m50 headphones and although I like the sound i dont like how they feel on my head and theyre size.
I find after 10mins the band on the top of my head is uncomfortable ,also the bulky size of the phones i`m not too happy with. Finally because theyre for a work environment theyre blocking out too much external sound. Would also prefer something a bit more streamlined in appearance.
Does anyone have any suggestions. Spent many hours going through these forums and I thought i`d found the perfect headphones. But I was wrong.

I`m using the phones just for general listening from a PC, mainly trance, techno, house music. Something around the same price as the M-50`s please.

Thanks alot
Paul

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 17
Hi Paul, welcome to Head-Fi!

Take a look at the JVC HA-RX700, available for $34 shipped. I use them quite a bit for general PC gaming, movies and before I got my Ultrasones used them exclusively for trance, techno, all electronic genres sound great on these. Good bass, nice and tight, quite airy with good soundstage. There not exactly 'streamline' but they are extremely comfy and light, you can do extended sessions with these.

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 17
Sennheiser HD555, great price , sound quality and ever so comfortable. As well as that, they are very very easily driven ....check them out.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 17
I picked up apair of AKG K412P the other day and they were portable and semi open I liked their bass and the mids and highs were pretty good. I found them to be a bit to agressive for my tastes but they were very nice and cheap, if you can't find that model number I believe the new model is 420. They were also VERY easily driven by my Ipod Touch 2G. The semi open design let a decent amount of work noise in and also gave them a bit of airiness as most open phones do.

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 17
To the OP, once you get a good comfort with them, and get used to how they feel in your head, you will find them as very good headphones.

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #13 of 17
It made them less tight on the ears. The headband is still a bit uncomfortable though although getting use to it.
Sound wise they phones are ok, nothing spectacular. Maybe they need some time to run in but they seem to lack a bit of top end. No sparkle to the sound. Comparing them to my old cheap sennheiser 497 phones there isnt much difference.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnw100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound wise they phones are ok, nothing spectacular.

Should of got the RX700, they're comparable to the much more expensive Denon D2000s... I would imagine the M50s to be somewhat muddy and underpowered unless amped.

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 17
I believe these cans need alot of burnin, I would leave them playing music every night for a week or two and see how the sound develops. The treble is supposed to get more sparkle with the burnin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back