Bought an iRiver iHP-120, but...
Nov 17, 2005 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Borat

Headphoneus Supremus
It doesn't come with a USB cable, wall charger, or the installation software.

I got it used for a good price and it hasn't arrived yet, but I need to obtain these missing pieces so I can use it.

Can anyone give me advice?

I saw the DirectSync cable and accompanying travel wall charger from Boxwave. Anyone have any experience with these products? Is there a cheaper solution for syncing and charging out there?

Do I need the installation software disc? I plan on upgrading the firmware to Rockbox when I get it as well.

Nov 17, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 16
You don't need the installation software. There's really nothing very useful on the cd. As for charging -- I bought a fairly cheap car charger that works great w/my IHP120 -- just make sure the voltage is correct -- I believe its 5 volts?? The one I bought has variable voltages. You will enjoy this player!

edit: I don't think the H120 can be charged w/USB cable. The 320/340 can be -- but I'm pretty sure the 120/140 cannot -- somebody else chime in if I'm wrong.....

Nov 17, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
It doesn't come with a USB cable, wall charger, or the installation software.

I got it used for a good price and it hasn't arrived yet, but I need to obtain these missing pieces so I can use it.

Can anyone give me advice?

I saw the DirectSync cable and accompanying travel wall charger from Boxwave. Anyone have any experience with these products? Is there a cheaper solution for syncing and charging out there?

Do I need the installation software disc? I plan on upgrading the firmware to Rockbox when I get it as well.

Any standard to mini usb cable should work. They're fairly standard.
You need a wall wart that can do 5V, and 2A, but good luck finding the connector side.
Software? Who needs it? Just attach and copy as if it was a removable drive.

Nov 17, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 16
Borat, get thyself to a RatShack, iH120 in hand the day it arrives.

There, you can try USB cables to find what you need (it's a mini on the iH120 end), and pick up a 4.5 - 5v (or multi voltage wallwart charger with one free plug. The plug you select, of course, will fit your iH120 - you will know this, because you have your spankin' new to you iH120 in hand to try it on.

As micaela said, the installation cd is useless - you need nothing from it - and the USB cable does not charge it - you need a wallwart.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, check out RockBox as replacement software to operate with.

Enjoy - the iH120 is one of the absolute and all time best DAPS out there, imho.

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 16
sounds great. Ive been using it for my portable for a while now,
I like it more then the Ipod, its great with the micro stack.

Now if only that neuros player will get publicly released and replace the iriver
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 16
there are usb cables, like the one in the first post, that will let you charge the h100's with them

the only time you will need software for it is if you have a older version of Windows, and you can probably get the drive off of iriver's website

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one
or multi voltage wallwart charger with one free plug.

I wouldn't recommend one of those. Too many people have fried their DAPs because of a wrong voltage, even during just 2 seconds...

There's a thread at misticriver collecting such kind of horror stories
frown.gif

And I'd insist on polarity, it's critical too.

Nov 18, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Dude, just order the charger from the accessories page at iRiveramerica.com. Safest bet. No software needed. Useless. ROCKbox...rocks ! BTW, there IS a mod for usb charging I believe. Though it's seldom spoken of. I'll try and find the thread.

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot
Dude, just order the charger from the accessories page at iRiveramerica.com. Safest bet.

Sold out on both USB cable and AC adapter.

Question: Are the iHP-120 and H120 the same thing?

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 16
ihp120 and h120 are the same thing. iriver wants to be hip which is why they change it to h120.

it uses 5volt. if you dont have visit ratshack, with their charger they sell seperate unplugable adaptaplugs. they are a bit pricey though. as for the usb cable its standard usb to mini usb you can buy a replacement easily.

i cant stand the ihp120 joystick, so difficult to grip.

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #14 of 16
My muvo slim sounds pretty good too, I thought it sounded like crap, then I got and iPod and line out, and realized I prefered the muvo. The iPod mini to my ears sounds lifeless and muted at times. I think they need to switch to a different company that does their audio. I believe the shuffle was a project done by another company, other then the normal ipod guys and people seem to notice a superior jump in audio quality between the shuffle and its full sized brother. I think Apple is more focused on image then audio fidelity.

Not sure about the iRiver headphone out, havent done any listening to it yet, only when I want to up the bass, ill switch to the headphone out and play with the equalizer. but Im hooked on the optical out/dac sound. Sounds comparable to a decent home rig. Never went back to the headphone/amp combo afterwards, the clarity difference is really huge imo.

Borat, time to get a micro dac for your hornet, and get rockin!
280smile.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
ihp120 and h120 are the same thing. iriver wants to be hip which is why they change it to h120.

Well, not really. They were more or less forced to drop the "iHP" part because Hewlett-Packard didn't like it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back