Bought a pair of WE396A NOS tube from ebay but was faulty
May 7, 2010 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Xtreme3X

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am in need of help with a pair of faulty Western Electric 396A Tube that's bought from eBay. I recently bought a pair of WE396A tube, but it turn out to be faulty. I even went to an audio shop to test the tube to prove that my gear is not faulty. The shop owner tested it by using a tube CD player and connect the output to an oscillator, but the oscillator shows that it has 0 signal with the faulty tube, but the working tube shows a wave sine. The faulty tube did light up, but it just won't produce any sound.

So I dropped the eBay seller a pm and waited for around 2 days and got no reply from him. So I filed a report with PayPal and immediately after, the seller replied in the resolution center. I asked for a full refund after a few discussion with the seller, but the seller said that since my item is not insured, he shall not be held responsible for it. He also insisted that I am pushing full responsibility to him when he did nothing wrong at all, and what he is willing to do is to refund me 40 USD for one tube which he feels that is fair for both of us (I paid 96 USD for both tubes, including shipping).

Btw, the item is packed professionally with multilayer of protection and it looks totally fine physically. The eBay seller also said he has sold 50 plus of the tubes and others have been happy with it according to his feedback. He has a 1.6k rating and 100% positive feedback too.

I'm really confused now, should I just take up the 40 USD refund or should I escalate the problem to PayPal? I know it is unfair for both parties But for me, I bought something that I can't use and end up losing 56 USD if I take the 40 USD refund... Hope you guys can help me out and advise me on what I should do.

*Note: Something suspicious that I found out on his eBay description is that, he claimed that he bought the tube few years back and tested it. But he has got no test data and was selling the item untested (currently) as NOS Brand New at the time of my purchase.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading it :)

May 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 2
It cannot be proved that shipping did not damage the tube. I would take the $40 and cut my losses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back