Bought a pair of HD555's, good (relatively cheap) amp to accompany it?
Jan 27, 2009 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ngower

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm relatively new to the whole audiophile business. I love music and felt the need to upgrade to a decent pair of headphones, so I got the Sennheiser HD555's. So far I've gotta say they're pretty good. They're the 50 ohm model, so an amp isn't necessary, but I've heard an amp increases sound quality. If I've been mislead, please shun me.

I'm looking to spend no more than $200 at the moment, perhaps when I get better audio equipment I'll upgrade.

I have a Macbook which I use for listening to my music, though I've been contemplating hooking up the PC that has a decent Creative X-Fi card. I also have an iPhone, PS3, and 360 that get used for audio purposes, so would an amp be a good or bad idea for those?

As for what type of music I listen to, mostly a lot of post-punk/punk/new wave/indie/electronic. Older bands like Joy Division, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and modern bands like Animal Collective, TV On The Radio, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I listen to a bit off softer stuff as well like Belle and Sebastian, Andrew Bird, etc.

I'm trying to give as much information as possible, but if I excluded anything, please let me know.

Oh, and I'd like a powered amp, not batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back