Bottom of Logitech X-540 subwoofer really hot
May 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Egaku

Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I've noticed the bottom of my Logitech X-540's subwoofer has 2 metal rings(?) at the bottom. They get REALLY hot to the touch, but not enough to burn you.
It maintains that temperature even when I turn it off using the power button on the wired remote. I'm beginning to get worried that this may be a potential fire hazard?
(If subwoofers normally operate at these temperatures then please accept my apologies.)

Things to note:
-There is a low pitched buzzing noise constantly being emitted from the subwoofer.
-Apparently this is a EU model and there is an adapter that I have to plug the speakers into.

Thank you!

May 16, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 7
Metal rings?

I found a picture online, you mean the bits on the left?:

I'm not sure what function they serve to be quite honest - almost look like transformer mounts but who knows without opening her up. Could pop the driver out and have a look.

Anyways, it's not abnormal for multimedia speaker systems to run hot during operation; that doesn't mean its "good" (if it's too hot it will shorten the lifecycle). This is a common problem with the Klipsch ProMedia sets. I'm not aware of any Logitech system that runs overhot, but do realize that little box is both a subwoofer and a six channel amplifier all stuffed into something the size of a wastebin.

Regarding the buzzing - if you disconnect *everything* from the system (so just the entire X-540 assembled as per the manual plugged into the wall and nothing else), and turn it on, does it buzz?

May 16, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Most PC speakers have their crossover/amplifier and power supply inside the sub.
Hence it can run moderately hot.

May 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Most PC speakers have their crossover/amplifier and power supply inside the sub.
Hence it can run moderately hot.

The thing I'm worried about is why does it run so hot when not in use? Is it inefficient or something?

Quote:
Metal rings?
I found a picture online, you mean the bits on the left?:

I'm not sure what function they serve to be quite honest - almost look like transformer mounts but who knows without opening her up. Could pop the driver out and have a look.
Anyways, it's not abnormal for multimedia speaker systems to run hot during operation; that doesn't mean its "good" (if it's too hot it will shorten the lifecycle). This is a common problem with the Klipsch ProMedia sets. I'm not aware of any Logitech system that runs overhot, but do realize that little box is both a subwoofer and a six channel amplifier all stuffed into something the size of a wastebin.
Regarding the buzzing - if you disconnect *everything* from the system (so just the entire X-540 assembled as per the manual plugged into the wall and nothing else), and turn it on, does it buzz?

Yes it is those "rings". If I disconnect it from my audio source, the low buzzing is still there.

May 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 7
The thing I'm worried about is why does it run so hot when not in use? Is it inefficient or something?

Because it probably never turns all the way off, it just goes into standby. Lots of equipment that is "off" does nothing but mute and turn off the display lights. :angry_face:

Yes it is those "rings". If I disconnect it from my audio source, the low buzzing is still there.

So there could be something wrong within the device if it's buzzing when standing by itself. Either it just has a high-ish noise floor, or something is borked. If it's loud-ish, as in you don't have to be on top of the cone to hear it, I'd lean towards borked.

If it only did it when plugged into something, I'dve said ground loop.

May 18, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 7
Yep, stuff like power supplies and transformers never completely turn off unless you turn off the power switch. You can see the same effect on your phone charger. Even when not in use, it'll still be warm.
And regarding the noise I'd say its the noise floor, but if its too loud, I'd have to go with obobskivich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back