Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1 impedance switching
Mar 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

manis

New Head-Fier
Sorry, guys, I apologize beforehand for being a total noob. I did some searching on the forums here, but couldn't quite find an answer to my question. 

I bought an assembled S.E.X. 2.1 amp with the impedance switch kit installed. The reason I was drawn to it, is because it can drive a wide variety of headphones to good effect (based on reviews and opinions I found), so I have options in the future. On top of that, it can power highly efficient speakers. All in all it seemed like good value for my intended applications. I'm loving it so far. 

If you don't mind me asking, what is the best impedance setting for efficient 32 ohm cans such as the AKG K550 I recently acquired? The pot meter is barely past 6 o clock and I'm already getting deaf. Since receiving the amp in the mail I have not touched any switches and it appears that everything is on "Lo" setting. 

The second question: will the changes effect both the speakers and headphone output? My guess is yes, but I would like to be sure. 

I'm confused and non-technical and don't want to screw anything up by flicking the wrong switches. Of course I'm not expecting any essays here, but I really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. How does this all work? 

Thank you in advance for a moment of your time.

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi!
You will get more response at the Bottlehead forum . Members are friendly too!
To answer your question, you can set the impedance to 4 ohms to have some attenuation. You may also add a 120-ohm resistor in series to each channel.
Yes, changes will affect both. With speakers, you would want to match the impedance of the speaker.
My SEX amp is only configured for speakers.
This thread is also helpful:
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3253.msg27850.html#msg27850

Users who are viewing this thread

Back