Bottlehead headphone amp, not a kit...Yet!
Jun 11, 2002 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dan H

100+ Head-Fier
I heard a new prototype headphone amp from Doc. Bottlehead. This unit was made for a professional recording studio installation. Doc B had a cobalt transformer in it (a Cobalt transformer is $400.00!) 30 minutes later I heard it with a stock transformer ($5.00).
I listened with my own Sennheiser 600’s & Blue Clou Cables. Bottlehead stuff is quite nice so I was expecting it to sound good. At home most of my headphone listening is done with a Fisher 500C. My old Fisher sounds better than any headphone amp I have heard, until now. The MUSIC I head coming through Doc’s amp is in another league unlike anything I have ever heard through headphones! It just blows me away. Even with the cheap transformer the sound was awesome.
Doc. Bottlehead will be bringing out a headphone amp kit next year. The amp I heard is not the kit amp.
Dan H
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 12
This is good news and thanks for the update-

This kit was supposed to be at the bottom of a 20 project list and so I wasn't expecting it for maybe 2 years. If it gets fast tracked a little bit and comes out next year I will be very pleased.

I expect big things from this amp and know Doc and company can deliver. Here is the latest hint from Doc about this project from last January. Maybe he will drop more hints soon:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bo...ges/38548.html

Dan-
Can you tell us what tubes he was using in this prototype?

Jun 11, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 12
Timoteus,
Tubes are 6CK4's it has 1.5 watts output into a matched load.
The amp uses a tapped output autoformer made by MagneQuest, taps on the prototype are at 600, 150 and 50 ohms. My Senn's are 600 and thats what I heard. He ran cobolt and "normal" trany's I don't understand much about that stuff though.
Doc. said it can also be used as a line stage with single ended outputs of 50 ohms impedance. A future version of the autoformer may have a 9 ohm tap which would run as a flea powered loudspeaker amp. Also, ladder or transformer attenuators are options.
Doc said a kit will be ready in the next 12 months and around $200.00. The kit will not be this amp only the same general design.

Andrzejpw,
Yea, I wish I could afford one! I understand they go for over 2K. If I get a chance I'll listen again and try for a better review with some details of the sound. I visit Doc's at the once a month bottlehead meeting he has. If your in the Washington State area send him an email for time and address...............Dan H
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Hey Dan-

There is a Bottlehead meeting scheduled for Sept. 8th. I was wondering if you were planning on attending this meeting next month.

I am very curious if the upcoming headphone kit will be using the 6CK4 like the all out rack-mount unit you heard or if they're prototyping a unit using different tubes.

I realize that this may be premature and that Doc may not have even worked on this since you last attended in June.

Aug 28, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 12
Good news but the problem with Doc's stuff sometimes is that it takes forever to go from the developmental stage to the point where the products are for sale. I have been waiting forever for the phono preamp to be released. I looked back and they choose the name for the phone preamp in March 2001 (it had been discussed long before this also). It is still not available.

I don't really mean to be critical because I understand that Bottlehead is a very small company and these things take alot of time. I almost wish he wouldn't tease us sometimes though. I wonder sometimes how Joseph Lau seems to get products (ASL) out so much faster.

Aug 29, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 12
They have different business models... Doc sells kits which must be carefully reviewed for safety, legibility, and relative ease of construction, whereas Joe is selling fully assembled retail products in greater volumes. I also think Doc's operation is much smaller than Antique Sound Labs.

Aug 29, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 12
I think Doc B’s operation is real small, just him and Eileen. So it’s probably a toss up: sell product or design product and in between someone has to source obscure parts and ship the sold goods? I think his guarantee is incredible- he’ll fix it if you can’t get it working you just ship it to him.

I’m eagerly awaiting his Seduction phono preamp (I think that’s the name).

A question- What’s the real market (# of units?) for tube Headphone amps say like the MG Head or a Bottle Head kit? My Corda’s serial # is in the upper 200’s.

Aug 29, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 12
To get this train back on the track...

Hey Dan-

There is a Bottlehead meeting scheduled for Sept. 8th. I was wondering if you were planning on attending this meeting next month.

I am very curious if the upcoming headphone kit will be using the 6CK4 like the all out rack-mount unit you heard or if they're prototyping a unit using different tubes.

I realize that this may be premature and that Doc may not have even worked on this since you last attended in June.

Aug 30, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi timoteus;
The next meeting is Sepember 8th. It will be held in my home here in Kent Washington. I have not talked to Dan about the amps this summer. He will hosting the meeting so I'll ask him to post a reply for you. The last time we talked about time line he said in about one year. That would be next summer?

braillediver;
Yea, Dan has a small operation but the key word is quality, in design and product back-up.

Aug 30, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 12
I'll be coming to the meeting on September 8th it should be a lot of fun.

While I'm waiting for Doc B's headphone amp I'm collecting the parts to build a Morgan Jones Mini Head phone amp. I figure I'll get some experience working with tubes. It'd be real nice to just buy a kit with everything I need. Sourcing parts sucks but hey it's part of the adventure.

Aug 30, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan H
Hi timoteus;
The next meeting is Sepember 8th. It will be held in my home here in Kent Washington. I have not talked to Dan about the amps this summer. He will hosting the meeting so I'll ask him to post a reply for you. The last time we talked about time line he said in about one year. That would be next summer?

braillediver;
Yea, Dan has a small operation but the key word is quality, in design and product back-up.

Sounds like that will be one fun weekend.
cool.gif
I look forward to Dan posting an update here or on the Bottlehead forum. So far I've resisted the temptation to ask about the headphone amp kit and the Seduction kit on that forum. I know many other projects are in the pipeline and so I don't want to pester the good Doc. I'm just glad that information is released as development progresses. Thanks Dan H for being our go to guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back