Bottlehead Crack the best amp for HD 650's?
Aug 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thunkerdo

New Head-Fier
Is the Bottlehead Crack the best amp for the HD 650's?  I'm looking for something under $300 that is fairly small in size, but doesn't have to be portable.  Also, I know the JDS Labs C5 amp is something different entirely, but how would it compare?

Also, I'm new to all this.  Do I also need a DAC?  I'll be sourcing this from my MBP or iPhone.

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 6
The Crack, by far, is the best amp I've heard for the HD650's. And if I mean 'best', it is not only 'best' for its $300 price
wink.gif

But I don't think the Crack's are small by the way
biggrin.gif

I've also heard the JDS C5 paired with HD650, and to be honest, although this combo is not bad at all, but it simply can not be competed with the Crack. The Crack has much more power, dynamic and sound stage.

Go for the Crack if you know how to DIY, and you'll never regret, especially with the high impedance headphones like the HD650's
smily_headphones1.gif

And of course, you will need a decent DAC.

Best,
Kratos.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 6
For DAC, I was thinking the Modi ($99), the HRT Music Streamer II ($170), or Topping TP D2 TP-D2 ($135), Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC ($170)?  Of course, the least expensive is best, as long as it doesn't sacrifice too much quality.  Any thing I'm missing that is better?  And any preference among these 3?

Also, thanks for letting me know about the size of the Cracks.  Just saw some more picture and it's huge compared to what I was looking for.  What would be a dream for me is if the Cracks looked like the WooAudio WA7 Fireflies.

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 6
If you want something which is a very good allrounder and also good for HD 650 and is very small as well and supports several tube families, you can consider Project Ember or Project Horizon. You can also consider Schiit Lyr which is comparable in performance to Project amps, but yet more powerful and better looking, yet compact and elegant.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
For DAC, I was thinking the Modi ($99), the HRT Music Streamer II ($170), or Topping TP D2 TP-D2 ($135), Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC ($170)?  Of course, the least expensive is best, as long as it doesn't sacrifice too much quality.  Any thing I'm missing that is better?  And any preference among these 3?

Also, thanks for letting me know about the size of the Cracks.  Just saw some more picture and it's huge compared to what I was looking for.  What would be a dream for me is if the Cracks looked like the WooAudio WA7 Fireflies.

I've only heard the Modi and Objective Dac ( ODac ) paired with the Crack + HD650 combination. The Modi sounds a little bit warmer and deeper, whereas the ODac sounds balance, detailed and more transparent. It all depends on your sound reference and your favorite music.

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 6
The crack will take up a large chunk of space so I would plan on where your going to put it.  In my own opinion it is the best amp for the sennheiser hd 650 and later on you have the option to add in the speedball to squeeze out more audio goodness. You would benefit from a dac I say look into audioquest dragonfly (used) and the idac. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back