both harddrives crashed and now i need help :(
Feb 26, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 22
bootman,

first thing you should have done before bidding, was to see if there are updated drivers for it. (like XP). you may have bought a pig in a poke. and like I said, w2000 with sp3 may not have a fix from Promise. I tried their fixes for my board, and after numerous crashes (and different configurations), i just bought a different mobo.

so why not go with the latest mobo that supoorts STA at 150MB/sec or ATA at 133MB/sec? when it come to scsi, i would only go with adaptec. at least then you could spend a fortune on scsi320 drives.
wink.gif
heck, you might as well go with dual processors (old) or hyper-threading with dual channel mem (new).

Feb 26, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
bootman,

first thing you should have done before bidding, was to see if there are updated drivers for it. (like XP). you may have bought a pig in a poke. and like I said, w2000 with sp3 may not have a fix from Promise. I tried their fixes for my board, and after numerous crashes (and different configurations), i just bought a different mobo.

so why not go with the latest mobo that supoorts STA at 150MB/sec or ATA at 133MB/sec? when it come to scsi, i would only go with adaptec. at least then you could spend a fortune on scsi320 drives.
wink.gif
heck, you might as well go with dual processors (old) or hyper-threading with dual channel mem (new).

nah, this is just something for me to play with.
The hot swap drive enclosure alone is worth the $80.
This isn't going in my main rig.
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #18 of 22
Trust me when i say the drives are dead, the drives are dead, i am a professional, this is what i do for work. The only way to save data from these drives would be to send them to a specialty place to get it done to the tune of 600$ and up... no thanks. I even tried freezing the drives and using them to try and save a little bit of data but no dice, this is an old trick that sometimes works for me. The drives were in seprate channels also, I got my new drives in and everything is working just fine.

I also have almost never seen 2 drives have a catastropic failure at the same time, but in this case, that is exactly what happened. Anyway back to my original questions
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:42 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by mercid
Trust me when i say the drives are dead, the drives are dead, i am a professional, this is what i do for work. The only way to save data from these drives would be to send them to a specialty place to get it done to the tune of 600$ and up... no thanks. I even tried freezing the drives and using them to try and save a little bit of data but no dice, this is an old trick that sometimes works for me. The drives were in seprate channels also, I got my new drives in and everything is working just fine.

I also have almost never seen 2 drives have a catastropic failure at the same time, but in this case, that is exactly what happened. Anyway back to my original questions
biggrin.gif

Man, you got stung by Murphy real bad.
The only time I've seen two HDs crash at the same time was on an 18 scsi array.
(out of a group of three arrays)
That was due to a power failure.
(spike that took out an entire site!)

Feb 27, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #21 of 22
Ever seen what happens when a cd breaks up in a 52x cd-rom drive? It isn't pretty, or quiet. I had to take a hammer to the case to get the drive out.

Post your worst computer hardware disasters!

Feb 27, 2003 at 11:40 PM Post #22 of 22
Heh, I bought my IBM 75GXP before their quality control went to ****. Mine still works and my friends who bought the drive at the same month still works. Apparently, the bad quality control is what prompted IBM to sell off their storage division to Hitachi.

So the deskstar and ultrastar products are now sold under the Hitachi name. They got 180GXP drives now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back