Boston mini meet impressions (10/6)
Oct 7, 2006 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks Najib
k1000smile.gif

All I'll say is I still like the RS-1, although the HF-1 is really close
rs1smile.gif

And the PPX3-SLAM drove the K1000 very well.

Oct 7, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 27
Thanks for putting up with all us audio nerds Najib!
The RS1s were DANGED sexy! And K1000s... Wowz.
Thats pretty much all I have to say.
rs1smile.gif

[Edit]
I also seem to remember nobody really enjoying the iGrados.
Najib had the greatest quote ever.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Najib
"They sound about as great as they look".

Oct 7, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 27
Yeah Najib, thanks for having us, it was a sweet meet. I could only stay for about 2 hours, but I got a chance to hear most of the stuff I went there for.

All in all, I love the RS1, the HF1 is close but not as good to me, and iGrado was a disappointment, k1000 are as excellent as ever, and the ad2000 were amazing.

I also got a chance to hook my UM1 up to The Hornet, that was pretty awesome.

My only problem is I didn't get a chance to listen to the go-vibe, which was the only amp there I can actually afford right now
tongue.gif

I forgot my camera, but I know Najib took a few pictures.

Oct 7, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 27
I missed it! Oh well; I'll have to make my get-together debut some other time. Hope you guys had fun!

P.S.--pictures!

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX
I missed it! Oh well; I'll have to make my get-together debut some other time. Hope you guys had fun!

P.S.--pictures!

I'm up for a meet if you host one. wish I could host, but it wouldn't work, to many siblings
tongue.gif

Sadly, this meet didn't help my largest need, choosing a cd player. I need a cd player so I'm not tied to my computer all the time. Also, a good CD player will rape my x-fi
wink.gif

-edit- can we plug some names/faces into screennames? I'm assuming Patrick = patman657, and I know Najib = nabwong, but everyone else is a mystery
I was the guy wearing the shirt with Beyerdynamic DT770 on it, aka Mark

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 27
Thanks a lot for coming last night. I had a lot of fun. I'm really lucky to be able to host such an event and have you wonderful people come. I'm still really tired right now (went to ikea this morning and then watched cirque du soleil) so i'll post my impressions later. But here's some pics for now.
smily_headphones1.gif

263480208_c5a1798e6a.jpg

263480204_b732b617e0.jpg

263480200_e508f7c497.jpg

263479469_d474c22d15.jpg

263479467_13edc9943f.jpg

263479466_55594adb97.jpg

263479465_054d67ec5e.jpg

263479463_118ce41b49.jpg

263479461_7668c9e68f.jpg

Najib

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 27
Najib, thank you for again so graciously opening up your home to us, and thanks to everyone for bringing such great gear to the meet. I was pleased that this time around I was able to converse more than listen, and it was a pleasure to talk with all of you. My impressions follow, but I will only comment on two headphones since they are the only ones I spent any real time with.

K1000
Amped out of my PPX3 SLAM, this is the best headphone I have ever heard. Granted, I haven't heard the L3000, R10, O2, HE90, etc., but I was really impressed by how well this headphone sounds even when not powered by a speaker amp. No other headphone I have ever listened to has allowed me to get so completely taken in by the music. The only negative for me is that I did not find it to be quite as detailed as the W5000 in some regards, but that very well could have been (and probably was) due to the background noise of the meet. I will be buying a pair as soon as I can pay for/find one.

DT880 (Original Edition)
I was extremely impressed by these headphones considering the price. They don't do anything wrong and I find them to be very balanced. I listened to these before the K1000, so I kind of forgot about them after that, but they are tremendous closed cans. Since I have to sell my W5000 to pay for the K1000, I may pick up a pair to use as closed headphones for when I want to be moving around, need isolation, or just want to wear a supremely comfortable headphone to listen to music before bed.

Oct 8, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 27
untitled1.PNG

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 27
Jahn,
Nice one man!!

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by patman657
DT880 (Original Edition)
I was extremely impressed by these headphones considering the price. They don't do anything wrong and I find them to be very balanced. I listened to these before the K1000, so I kind of forgot about them after that, but they are tremendous closed cans. Since I have to sell my W5000 to pay for the K1000, I may pick up a pair to use as closed headphones for when I want to be moving around, need isolation, or just want to wear a supremely comfortable headphone to listen to music before bed.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the DT880 also, might sell the k240s and pick up one of those sometime.

Also, RS1 bass absolutely rocks my SR225's bass. I was amazed
biggrin.gif
Sounded great with Dream Theater.

Oct 8, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 27
First I’d like to thank Najib for opening his home to us. It was a good gathering. I had a great time chatting with everyone. As far as listening goes I basically reaffirmed my previous opinions of some stuff.

The Single Power PPX3 Slam is The Tube amp under about $1200.

The Audio Technica headphones are not my cup of tea.

And that Censorship is EVIL.
biggrin.gif

Paternity.jpg

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 27
Hornet vs Go-vibe 5

Of all the RSA amps i've heard ( sr71, hr2, raptor, b52, stealth ), i'm am still most impressed with the hornet ( the others, not so much ). The hornet sounds awesome, is extremely small, comes with charger and looks great. So how does the go-vibe 5 compare? I think the go-vibe 5 wasn't fully burned in. The difference wasn't great but still audible, the bass. The hornet's bass is tight and punchy. While the go-vibe's bass is good too, it is slightly flabby. ( imagine a fat lady running in her bikini and the fat shaking on every step
smily_headphones1.gif
no offence to fat ladies ). It would be interesting to listen to the go-vibe 5 again after it has fully burned in. For $75, it is a tremendous value. It is only a few hairs away from the hornet ( if the burn in gets rid of the shake ).

HA5000 and AD2000

It's always hard to listen to headphones in meet conditions. It's better to buy/loan something and listen to it for a week or 2 and then form an opinion. So having said that, i was overly impressed by the combo. It was good but not eargasm good. The one thing i noticed was that the HA5000 made the clear stuff on the AD2000 sound clearer. Clear imaging, articulation, seperation. So if that's your preference, you might wanna get it. For me, i prefer the tube sound of the ppx slam. It made the AD2000 more liquid sounding.

DT880

I was also suprise to find that my feelings towards the dt880 (pre 2006) has changed somewhat. I used to dislike the 880 sound because i felt that there was a lot of bass missing. However, i was pleasantly surprise when listening to some live mahler recordings. The clarity of the sound shocked me. It sounded how a "live" session should sound ( when you're there ). I still don't like it for rock music.

K1000

I din like it before and i still don't. It really is a good pair but if i wanted speakers, i would get a pair of speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

hd600

They sound really good when you turn it up LOUD. I'd actually prefered the hd600 and dt880 over the ad2000 when listening to the live mahlers by a hair. For all other music, ad2000 rules supreme.

Lastly, I learned a lot from the meet, from cables to what's going on in the industry. Looking forward to the next one, maybe spring mini-meet cum bbq? hehehe...

Edit: I forgot to add some comments on the sony-bose bast@ard child
smily_headphones1.gif

263941788_f070e3cb7a.jpg

1. They are hard to store. They don't fold

2. The are ugly

3. The screw doesn't pivot so you cannot adjust it for different ear sizes.

4. The size of the band is standard. If you've a big head, forget about it

5. They feel and look cheap

That's just aesthetics. Sound wise, it's just so muddy. There's no high end. It's bass, bass and bass. IMO, it doesn't have the grado signature. It's sounds like a portable open dt770. There are other better choices for below $50; px100, ksc35/75, portapro, hd201, k26p.

Btw, i love grado. I've the RS-1 and HF-1. However, the igrado just can't cut it.

Najib

Users who are viewing this thread

Back