Boston (March 28th, 2009) Impressions
Mar 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
First off thanks to deltaydeltax for organizing this, a really enjoyable, interesting event

There were about ten people, great mix of folks - would love to see this get even bigger numbers next time around

Some were taking pictures so i imagine those will make their way up here

I brought a few starving student amps, one from whiplash with cryoed tubes and two diy i had bought from the boards (one in some old cookware casing and one without power or volume controls and oil filled caps)

Running wav files from a valab with BJC cables and had a host of little akg 141 and 140 cans as well as some other thing like a nuforce icon, a portable nuforce icon, some diy cables, denon 700 earbuds, etc

I really enjoyed hearing the various grados through the starving students. The starving students other than the whiplash has hissed a little with really low impedance cans but the handled th grados fine from the sr 60 up to the 325, proving to be pretty versatile handling the senn hd 650 nicely as well

I had wondered how good these little amps were with a host of cans so this was a fun opportunity

otherwise enjoyed the ATs and the diy M3 as well - and the homemade cookies!

time really did fly by

also great to see a Ubuntu system running so nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 13
I had a ton of fun.

Listening to some of the phones that people are always talking about was a joy. We managed to blow a $40 chinese DAC and got to listen to the differences pads made on different Grados. It was a shame when we all realized it was 2 pm and we needed to leave, hahaha.

Oh yeah and props to SDaRR's fiance for making the cookies and sending me home with them. And deltaydeltax for organizing, we need to do this again down the line.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Sorry everyone, I have pics coming. After being up until 5:00am Saturday morning, then getting to the event by 11:00, it was hard to stay awake when I got home. Then yesterday my GF took me to tons of places for my B-day. Now, I have time to get all of the pics up and other stuff done. Pics sometime today will be posted.

Now pics:

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 13
We had three setups for testing out headphones. The third was a reciever with a SACD player (forgot to grab a shot of it).

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

Giant oil can capacitors:
IMG_2937.jpg

Let's hope it's still alive:
IMG_2924.jpg

Not all equipment made it out alive. This 1543 based DAC was handed more voltage than it was able to handle. Notice the cracked top on the cap and the oil leaked out onto the 5V regulator:
IMG_2932.jpg

Some of the amps at the end of the day ready to go home. Notice that oval shaped one? It's made from some campfire cookware:
IMG_2942.jpg

One of our members putting stuff away at the end of the day:
IMG_2943.jpg

Thank you all for coming. I certainly heard some awesome sounding headphones, and had some great cookies. I also got a few people to listen to my tiny amplifier. Fun was had by all.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 13
Some pics:

my.php
[/url] [/IMG]

I had a great time. Enjoyed meeting everyone and I'll be looking forward to doing it again. BTW, the cookie lady (she wouldn't let me post her pic) says "YW!"

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 13
On the impressions, I'll say that I was pretty impressed with the starving student amps with the grados. I wouldn't say that they soften them up as with a pure tube amp, but they really do pair well, especially with a softer source like the valab).

They were also nice with the HD 650, whihc I had forgoten how much I like (It just doesn't fit my head unfortunately).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back