BOSE.....why does it get laughed at in the audiophile community? Are the products really that bad???
Dec 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #91 of 99

Quote:
Not overly surprising: not because the BOSE headphones are wonderful, but because the noise cancelling of the Studios, as measured by Tyll Hertsens of InnerFidelity, is abominably awful.
They still have good noise cancelling, from what I've read, but it's nothing incredibly special.

I found their ANC feature subpar as well. I tried them at a noisy Apple store nearby and they were OK. I put on my Shure SRH940's....I get the same noise isolation effect from them as I do with the Studio's ANC. Unless the ANC wasn't working properly, I don't think the Studios have a very good ANC feature at all. Bose on the other hand did have a significant noise reduction from their ANC.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #92 of 99

Quote:
lol can I trade some Bose for your ESL's?

If I had a pair of QUAD ESLs I would happily trade them for Bose because Bose are the best.
And now you can tell people that Bose are better than QUAD ESLs because you read it on the 'net!
wink_face.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #94 of 99

Quote:
If you think Bose are good, are you interested in my Triport OE's?

I think I'll pass, my comments are just my sarcastic digs at Bose.
Let's just say I don't prefer Bose.
and I think 901s are awful................................
confused_face.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #95 of 99
I used to have a pair of Bose IEMs back in college. I forget the name of them. They weren't entirely God awful, just thoroughly mediocre.

What makes Bose the subject of so much ridicule, as some have astutely pointed out, is that they market their products as being top-of-the-line.

Kind of like presenting Fig Newtons to someone on an ornate, lace-covered silver platter. Or pulling up in a limo asking for Grey Poupon.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #96 of 99
I posted a review of the original TriPort a while back; tried the AE2 recently (was hoping they'd fixed my two biggest gripes with the original TriPort and to have a new mobile phone - 1/2 isn't bad but still...). I've heard most of the speakers (901's being the notable exception) - and honestly feel about the same way about most of their products:

Within reason, and within context, they deliver on their claims.

I think their passive speaker offerings do the best job to this end. 

Here's an anecdote that may help elucidate my position:
I remember the first time I got to play with Grado GS-1000s, and they've got the "World's Finest" stamped on the box - my initial impression was "these are how much now?" Sure, they're good at what they do, but they're not "the best at everything" as touted. Especially for the price. In my opinion. However, that doesn't mean I dislike Grado products inherently - I enjoyed my SR-225s for quite some time (and suspect some head-fi'er out there is still enjoying them). I think Bose fits into the same boat: some of their products are winners, some are losers. The losers are probably the ones that get the attention. It'd be pretty boring if we just talked about how "average" things are going, because nothing is breaking or standing out - the nail that sticks out gets hammered. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #97 of 99
Quote:
I posted a review of the original TriPort a while back; tried the AE2 recently (was hoping they'd fixed my two biggest gripes with the original TriPort and to have a new mobile phone - 1/2 isn't bad but still...). I've heard most of the speakers (901's being the notable exception) - and honestly feel about the same way about most of their products:

Within reason, and within context, they deliver on their claims.

I think their passive speaker offerings do the best job to this end. 

Here's an anecdote that may help elucidate my position:
I remember the first time I got to play with Grado GS-1000s, and they've got the "World's Finest" stamped on the box - my initial impression was "these are how much now?" Sure, they're good at what they do, but they're not "the best at everything" as touted. Especially for the price. In my opinion. However, that doesn't mean I dislike Grado products inherently - I enjoyed my SR-225s for quite some time (and suspect some head-fi'er out there is still enjoying them). I think Bose fits into the same boat: some of their products are winners, some are losers. The losers are probably the ones that get the attention. It'd be pretty boring if we just talked about how "average" things are going, because nothing is breaking or standing out - the nail that sticks out gets hammered. 

Great post, thanks for this.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #98 of 99
Bose sell a warm and fuzzy feeling, the speakers are irrelevant.  People are super happy when they listen to their Bose hifi.  Well not me because I know better, but I'm not really ever happy with my own equipment either.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #99 of 99
Just wanted thoughts/comments on this..
tongue.gif

Yes, their noise cancelling headphones have about the worst sound quality you can find in a pair of headphones due to the hissing that is added to the music by the noise cancellation circuitry. Although, to be fair, that's not just unique to Bose . . . every pair of noise cancelling headphones has this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back