Bose Triports used for Torture
Mar 19, 2006 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 27, 2003
Posts
492
Likes
10
***WARNING, MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR SEASON 4 OF THE TV SHOW 24***










I was watching Season 4 of the wildly popular TV show 24 with my fiance, and I stumbled upon something that I thought head-fi'ers would find funny. In this season the Secretary of Defense is kidnapped by terrorists, and his liberal son is a blindly idealistic fool who may have leaked information leading to the kidnapping. CTU (Counter-Terrorism Unit) takes the son in for question, but he's not cooperative. So they strap him to a chair, blindfold him, and force him to listen to Bose Triports against his will!

563_1a9f3a884dbf37075d61af26a8c233d2.gif


The agent comes back in and checks up on the son, "Do you know how long it's been?"

The son replies, "3-4 hours?"

"No, it's been under 30 minutes."

"AHhhhHhhhhhhhhh!!!"

icon10.gif
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 54

Visigodo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 4, 2006
Posts
112
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
In this season the Secretary of Defense is kidnapped by terrorists, and his liberal son is a blindly idealistic fool who may have leaked information leading to the kidnapping.


While I think it's funny that they use the Triports in that fashion in the show (product placement gone bad), I truly, truly, deeply despise "24." I think the show feeds into a lot of people's fears and propagates ideas that are certainly wrong, like justifying torture. The show uses lots of near impossible situations to make torture seem OK and necessary. Who writes this show? Cheney?

Anyway, I don't want to get political, so I will stop. But yes, the Triports are EVIL!!!
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 54

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Posts
3,386
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
***WARNING, MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR SEASON 4 OF THE TV SHOW 24***










I was watching Season 4 of the wildly popular TV show 24 with my fiance, and I stumbled upon something that I thought head-fi'ers would find funny. In this season the Secretary of Defense is kidnapped by terrorists, and his liberal son is a blindly idealistic fool who may have leaked information leading to the kidnapping. CTU (Counter-Terrorism Unit) takes the son in for question, but he's not cooperative. So they strap him to a chair, blindfold him, and force him to listen to Bose Triports against his will!

563_1a9f3a884dbf37075d61af26a8c233d2.gif


The agent comes back in and checks up on the son, "Do you know how long it's been?"

The son replies, "3-4 hours?"

"No, it's been under 30 minutes."

"AHhhhHhhhhhhhhh!!!"

icon10.gif



I don't watch the show, but I am trying to unload a pair of Bose triports (Damn got them as a gift, why don't people ask before giving.) I found them to sound like crap (now I can really say that cause I have hd595's), and give me an ear infection the day after wearing (it can't be that my ears are messed, cause the hd595's didn't give me any pain or suffering the next day.) I think they only do so well because they are 1) Bose, 2) in so many movies it's ridiculous.
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 54

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 27, 2003
Posts
492
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visigodo
While I think it's funny that they use the Triports in that fashion in the show (product placement gone bad), I truly, truly, deeply despise "24." I think the show feeds into a lot of people's fears and propagates ideas that are certainly wrong, like justifying torture. The show uses lots of near impossible situations to make torture seem OK and necessary. Who writes this show? Cheney?

Anyway, I don't want to get political, so I will stop. But yes, the Triports are EVIL!!!



You truly believe this?
rolleyes.gif


I'm pretty sure most people just like the show because it's action-packed and suspenseful. Not because it propagates wrong ideas and feeds into peoples fears lol.
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 54

Visigodo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 4, 2006
Posts
112
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
You truly believe this?
rolleyes.gif


I'm pretty sure most people just like the show because it's action-packed and suspenseful. Not because it propagates wrong ideas and feeds into peoples fears lol.



Yes I believe that. But please explain, what does the fact that I beleive the deeper message of the show is wrong have anything to do with the fact that is action-packed and suspenseful? As a matter of fact I didn't say anything related to how entertaining it can be. Talk about a straw-man argument on your part.

I do think "24" is pretty well made, with great production values and a certain hook. Now, that doesn't mean I have to agree with the fear-mongering that seems to be at the core of the show's premise.
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 54

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Posts
2,071
Likes
145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visigodo
While I think it's funny that they use the Triports in that fashion in the show (product placement gone bad), I truly, truly, deeply despise "24." I think the show feeds into a lot of people's fears and propagates ideas that are certainly wrong, like justifying torture. The show uses lots of near impossible situations to make torture seem OK and necessary. Who writes this show? Cheney?

Anyway, I don't want to get political, so I will stop. But yes, the Triports are EVIL!!!



As my old language teacher once said to another student, "I think you are doing the too much read into it too much."
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 54

Visigodo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 4, 2006
Posts
112
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
As my old language teacher once said to another student, "I think you are doing the too much read into it too much."


Oy! Can a guy have opinions anymore?

rolleyes.gif
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 54

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 27, 2003
Posts
492
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visigodo
Yes I believe that. But please explain, what does the fact that I beleive the deeper message of the show is wrong have anything to do with the fact that is action-packed and suspenseful? As a matter of fact I didn't say anything related to how entertaining it can be. Talk about a straw-man argument on your part.


My argument wasn't a straw-man argument. A straw-man argument would be creating a ridiculous and embellished caricature of your position. I did not do that.
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 54

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Moderator
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Posts
13,268
Likes
1,576
I'll just presume it was the tortuous nature of the tri-ports that made this thread go pear-shaped...

...Please, no more politics or it'll have to be locked down
frown.gif
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 54

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Posts
5,774
Likes
89
Yes, we all need to focus on the important thing, the common thread between us all....


The evil of Triports!
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #14 of 54

Visigodo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 4, 2006
Posts
112
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
My argument wasn't a straw-man argument. A straw-man argument would be creating a ridiculous and embellished caricature of your position. I did not do that.


Sorry dude, but a "straw-man argument" is more than a embellished caricature. It involves misrepresentation of the original comment of your opponent, so that your own can seem better or at a higher moral ground, etc.

My point is that I, originally, was commenting on the show's premise, but you came back with an unrelated comment about the show's popularity. At no point I implied the show's premise had anything to do with its popularity or lack of it, or its production values. That's all. As a matter of fact, I agree with you the show is well made and catchy, but that has nothing to do with my original message. That's all. No biggie.

Anyway, I really didn't want to start a huge argument over this (specially with a fellow Sennheiser fan
tongue.gif
). I was just stating what I believe is at the core of the show: fear-mongering and justification of torture as a valid method that solves all cases. As I said, this is all better left for a political forum. Let's get back to the tortuous Triports.

Yes, the Triports are evil indeed. Look:

hitlerbose.jpg

HA HA HA
wink.gif
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 54

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Posts
5,774
Likes
89
Bose Hitler! Agpth! I thought I was free of him!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top