Bose Triport alternatives
Sep 30, 2006 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

drkphoenix

New Head-Fier
I really like the sound quality and light-weightedness of the Bose Triports. I am not crazy, however, about the price. Someone who I used to work with at a computer store said that when people pay money for Bose products they are paying most of the money just because it has the Bose name written on it and that there are far less pricey alternatives from other brands. So, I want to ask you guys what you think. I want a pair that is lightweight and has a sound quality in the same range as the triport... MUST BE LESS THAN $125--preferably not higher than $75 or so unless its really worth it. I have been looking at the following based on a thread that wanted the same thing for a third of the price, and from that thread I liked the looks of the Sony MDR-710LP; the Sennheiser PX 200 and PX 100 (I'd exclude the 100 in favor of the 200 except I heard on Macworld Playlist's ratings that the cup around the ear can make the sound less clear since it pushes the driver from your ear); and finally the AKG K26P. However, this person was only willing to spend half of my available budget for this purchase so I was wondering if some one knew of something that is still light ie not huge and clunky like my Altec-Lansing 712i's or my Sennheiser HD500A's yet still moderately durable. And, furthermore, I hate active noise cancellation... it sucks batteries. THNX!
eggosmile.gif

-DRK

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by drkphoenix
I really like the sound quality and light-weightedness of the Bose Triports. I am not crazy, however, about the price. Someone who I used to work with at a computer store said that when people pay money for Bose products they are paying most of the money just because it has the Bose name written on it and that there are far less pricey alternatives from other brands. So, I want to ask you guys what you think. I want a pair that is lightweight and has a sound quality in the same range as the triport... MUST BE LESS THAN $125--preferably not higher than $75 or so unless its really worth it. I have been looking at the following based on a thread that wanted the same thing for a third of the price, and from that thread I liked the looks of the Sony MDR-710LP; the Sennheiser PX 200 and PX 100 (I'd exclude the 100 in favor of the 200 except I heard on Macworld Playlist's ratings that the cup around the ear can make the sound less clear since it pushes the driver from your ear); and finally the AKG K26P. However, this person was only willing to spend half of my available budget for this purchase so I was wondering if some one knew of something that is still light ie not huge and clunky like my Altec-Lansing 712i's or my Sennheiser HD500A's yet still moderately durable. And, furthermore, I hate active noise cancellation... it sucks batteries. THNX!
eggosmile.gif

-DRK

You are paying for the marketing.. AT900 are good..Nice sound, & good noise cancellation..No batteries..

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 14
Go to a headphone shop (or any shop that has headphones, other than sonys) and try there
I'd say the best sennheiser you can afford for the money, or an alessandro MS1

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 14
Get the AKG K81DJ. About a hundred times better sound quality than the Triports, and can be had for as low as $55 by a make an offer deal on eBay. The Triports sound terrible, especially for the price. I can understand liking them, obviously, if you like bass and they're the only headphones you've heard other than cheap Sonys and stock player headphones, but seriously, they're a joke in the real audio market. The Sony MDR-V6 (NOT V600 or V700DJ), AKG K81DJ, Beyer DT770 Pro, and a million other closed headphones would slaughter them in a comparison. Hell, the KSC75 slaughters them, and you can get those for 6.99 (this is no insult, by the way; around here the KSC75 is hailed as one of the best if not THE best bargain in audio).

Sep 30, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 14
OP:

If you like the sound of the Triports, you haven't heard anything else but stock buds.

Get a decent pair of phones (K81DJ, A900s, et al) and give them a good long listen, then post back when you realize how much of the audio spectrum you were missing with the Triports.

The Triports' sound quality is about on par with a ~$20 pair of phones.

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
OP:

If you like the sound of the Triports, you haven't heard anything else but stock buds.

Get a decent pair of phones (K81DJ, A900s, et al) and give them a good long listen, then post back when you realize how much of the audio spectrum you were missing with the Triports.

The Triports' sound quality is about on par with a ~$20 pair of phones.

Not even. The KSC-75's can be had for less than 20 bucks.

Sep 30, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 14
Today, I went out and bought some Grado SR60's and they sound great and only cost me $70! Thanks for the help!
-DRK

Sep 30, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Today, I went out and bought some Grado SR60's and they sound great and only cost me $70! Thanks for the help!
-DRK

A wise choice.

Now you are aware you should get an amp, right?

icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 14
I have noticed a lot of post regarding the TriPorts from people with 1 or 2 posts. You gotta love Bose marketing...

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

-DRK

Has anyone talked to you about "pad rolling"?

That would be the next step.

After that....watch your wallet!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I really like the sound quality and light-weightedness of the Bose Triports.

Sony MDR XD400?

The XD200 I tried were very good sounding, especially for 30$. Stunning for such a cheap fullsize can. I am stunned how they perform about just as good as the 100$ Audio Technica AT40fs. I am 100% sure the MDR XD400 will fit the bill. Very light too, but somewhat flimsy. I say buy some MDR XD200, give them a try, and if you don't like them, come back here and buy something more expensive! Some HD485 maybe...

Anyways, the MDR XD200 will blow your HD500 away for sure...

To my honest ears, the MDR XD200 sound a little clearer and more neutral than the KSC75 and the HD477 I own, and slightly less natural, maybe because of some sound coloration, but they IMHO sound in the same league as both of them. Lovely headphones... Comfy too.
I don't even see why these excellent cans aren't recommended for beginners...

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 14
^ yea..there were some XD400's setup in the apple store on some iPods and I actually thought the same thing. They're weren't nearly as bad as I expected! It was tough to really compare, sitting next to them were triports. They stock a few Senns in apple stores but nothing ever on display. :\

Anyways I was a bit impressed by the Sony's. Not at all what i would have expected...

As for the OP, it think it's going to be difficult to find a headphone that sounds as bad for $100.
triport.gif

biggrin.gif

Really you can only do better than triports. I think you made a very wise decision with the Grados! Let us know what you think about them after you've used them a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back