Bose Speakers warning - Output reduce at high volume ?
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

craige

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]I want to buy Bose companion 5 and i was reading its owners manual just to educate myself and its stated sumwhere as below:[/size]

[size=medium]"The system output maybe reduced by an internal protection feature if you play music at full volume for a long period of time."[/size]

[size=medium]What's the meaning of this - Does the output gets temporarily reduced or permanently ?[/size]

[size=medium]I do have a tendency to jackup volume to very high every now and then... so the above warning by Bose means this may not be the speaker for me ?[/size]

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
[size=medium]I want to buy Bose companion 5 and i was reading its owners manual just to educate myself and its stated sumwhere as below:[/size]

[size=medium]"The system output maybe reduced by an internal protection feature if you play music at full volume for a long period of time."[/size]

[size=medium]What's the meaning of this - Does the output gets temporarily reduced or permanently ?[/size]

[size=medium]I do have a tendency to jackup volume to very high every now and then... so the above warning by Bose means this may not be the speaker for me ?[/size]

This protection (loudness reduction) will go away as soon as the overload is removed & amp cools down if it is temperature related.

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 5
You probably don't want to know the detail technical explanation. The bottom line is they have a cheap output stage with very little margin. And that is not good for dynamic or bass control. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Yes i have called Bose directly, and they comfirmed that its a temperory thing and the volume will return to original after sometime.

Exactly. It's implemented with polyswitches and a power sink in their passive speakers - you can burn that circuit out (and melt the crossover) with the passive models, but I don't believe the active speakers (like the Companion 5) are able to so completely damage themselves. Basically there's active protection, and it does its job - it's probably unlikely you'll ever put the system into this mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back