Bose SoundTrue vs ATH-M50x
Sep 2, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #18 of 24
I have both and the m50x is much smoother in the top end and has more weight across the board.

The bose soundtrue around ear are more comfortable and for going outside, walking, especially summertime I just love how light and soft they are around my ears/on my head!

However, the Bose has a weird treble I find, and not enough bass, cymbals and the top end of guitars just sound flat and weird and grainy and a bit harsh. I find it annoying..I'm trying to get used to it because they are so comfy (just got them), but might get rid of them for something else. If anyone has a reccos that are comfy like the bose let me know! I might stretch for the noise cancelling Bose around ear but I want to test the first for the treble,

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #19 of 24
  I have both and the m50x is much smoother in the top end and has more weight across the board.

The bose soundtrue around ear are more comfortable and for going outside, walking, especially summertime I just love how light and soft they are around my ears/on my head!

However, the Bose has a weird treble I find, and not enough bass, cymbals and the top end of guitars just sound flat and weird and grainy and a bit harsh. I find it annoying..I'm trying to get used to it because they are so comfy (just got them), but might get rid of them for something else. If anyone has a reccos that are comfy like the bose let me know! I might stretch for the noise cancelling Bose around ear but I want to test the first for the treble,

I personally like the QC15 a lot more than the M50x. The QC15 can be found used for well under $100. To anyone reading this who owns or plans to own a QC15, you can dramatically improve the sound by using a normal headphone cable instead of the awful stock cable.

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #20 of 24

I personally like the QC15 a lot more than the M50x. The QC15 can be found used for well under $100. To anyone reading this who owns or plans to own a QC15, you can dramatically improve the sound by using a normal headphone cable instead of the awful stock cable.

Website where you find the QC15's for under $100? It sure as hell aint Amazon! Also they are COMPLETELY different headphones, NC off and the QC15's sound like garbage but on they're okay. 

Side note: You seem to forget sound is subjective, so saying one headphone is "better" is a matter of opinion. Also, your recommendation of the MT-220s (while a good headphone) is getting annoying because it's way above the 50X's price (by about $100 on Amazon!) and shouldn't be mentioned in the same thread with a limited price range.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #21 of 24
I also forgot to mention the soundtrue sounded very similar to me AE2's that I got a while ago and they have no bass punch and as Tyll over at Innerfidelity describes as a "loosey goosey" sound signature which I agree with.

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #22 of 24
I heard the SoundTrue and QC25 the other day, but only briefly, so I can't say much.

Website where you find the QC15's for under $100? It sure as hell aint Amazon! Also they are COMPLETELY different headphones, NC off and the QC15's sound like garbage but on they're okay. 

Side note: You seem to forget sound is subjective, so saying one headphone is "better" is a matter of opinion. Also, your recommendation of the MT-220s (while a good headphone) is getting annoying because it's way above the 50X's price (by about $100 on Amazon!) and shouldn't be mentioned in the same thread with a limited price range.

There are tons of 'em on eBay for under $100.

The QC15 sounds like nothing with the NC off, because it only works with the NC on. Perhaps you're thinking of the QC25.

I cannot predict whether someone will subjectively prefer any given headphone, as that is a very personal thing. However, there are many aspects of sound that can be said to be better in an objective sense.

My general policy is to recommend what I feel is better, and the MT220 happens to excel at all genres of music. Fair enough about the price issue, but it really is so much better than the M50x (much more clear / less muddy, better bass impact and quality without being nearly as bloated in quantity, more engaging mids, etc.) that I feel the M50x isn't worth getting at any price (I also feel the M30x and M40x are better), whereas the MT220 is worth getting at even higher than its asking price. (Which is higher than before it was discontinued.) Saving up for a vastly superior headphone is the wiser choice, as far as I am concerned. And the MT220 can be had within the stated budget of 200 EUR by either searching for deals or simply getting a used one.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #23 of 24
I heard the SoundTrue and QC25 the other day, but only briefly, so I can't say much.

There are tons of 'em on eBay for under $100.

The QC15 sounds like nothing with the NC off, because it only works with the NC on. Perhaps you're thinking of the QC25.

I cannot predict whether someone will subjectively prefer any given headphone, as that is a very personal thing. However, there are many aspects of sound that can be said to be better in an objective sense.

My general policy is to recommend what I feel is better, and the MT220 happens to excel at all genres of music. Fair enough about the price issue, but it really is so much better than the M50x (much more clear / less muddy, better bass impact and quality without being nearly as bloated in quantity, more engaging mids, etc.) that I feel the M50x isn't worth getting at any price (I also feel the M30x and M40x are better), whereas the MT220 is worth getting at even higher than its asking price. (Which is higher than before it was discontinued.) Saving up for a vastly superior headphone is the wiser choice, as far as I am concerned. And the MT220 can be had within the stated budget of 200 EUR by either searching for deals or simply getting a used one.

Yeah I did forget about buying used.

Looking around for a FR graph of the yamaha's was tough but I found one (I think) and it definitely looks good on paper and I'll take your word for how they sound in person because an opinion about a headphone good or bad from a graph is just criminal.

Just out of curiosity, what did you plug the M50's into to listen to them?

But regarding the price vs. what it "should" be worth I see a lot of and sometimes gets a little overblown. Take the M50 and Beats for example, very popular headphones but definitely not the final word in clarity. Yet people say they are not worth much, like $10 or something. Seems like a lot of people here like to hate on popular headphones and say they're only worth half the price and pay a little more to get X headphone. And honestly im sure paying more can get you a better headphone. But saying the M30 sounds better than the M50 is just ludicrous, the 40 on the other hand I've seen plenty of debates about it being better and closer to neutral than the 50, which I can agree with.

I guess what I'm trying to say overall is don't get so passionate about one pair of headphones being either god or trash. You lose credibility in my eyes.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #24 of 24
Yeah I did forget about buying used.

Looking around for a FR graph of the yamaha's was tough but I found one (I think) and it definitely looks good on paper and I'll take your word for how they sound in person because an opinion about a headphone good or bad from a graph is just criminal.

Just out of curiosity, what did you plug the M50's into to listen to them?

But regarding the price vs. what it "should" be worth I see a lot of and sometimes gets a little overblown. Take the M50 and Beats for example, very popular headphones but definitely not the final word in clarity. Yet people say they are not worth much, like $10 or something. Seems like a lot of people here like to hate on popular headphones and say they're only worth half the price and pay a little more to get X headphone. And honestly im sure paying more can get you a better headphone. But saying the M30 sounds better than the M50 is just ludicrous, the 40 on the other hand I've seen plenty of debates about it being better and closer to neutral than the 50, which I can agree with.

I guess what I'm trying to say overall is don't get so passionate about one pair of headphones being either god or trash. You lose credibility in my eyes.

At the time, I used my Alienware M11x R2 laptop's headphone outputs, which, believe it or not, sound the same as a Schiit Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 stack with all but the hardest-to-drive headphones.

Might wanna read this:

http://brobible.com/gear/article/truth-behind-beats-by-dre-headphones-overpriced-garbage/

Beats literally do cost under $10 to make.

The M50x sounds awful due to its overwhelming bass (it's supposed to follow the green line; look how much higher the bass is!) that is also low quality. The M30x sounds much better, no contest. If you were to equalize both headphones to have a neutral frequency response, I'm sure the M50x would sound better, though.

I'm not concerned with "losing credibility" simply because I hear the obvious fact that one headphone is vastly better than another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back