Bose Quietcomfort Alternatives
Sep 2, 2006 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

roastpuff

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm having trouble convincing my dad to NOT buy the Bose Quietcomforts, and he doesn't like IEM's, which closes off a whole avenue of options. Please suggest to me some noise-cancelling headphones besides the Senn PXC series so that he doesn't buy this massive waste of money...

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
I'm having trouble convincing my dad to NOT buy the Bose Quietcomforts, and he doesn't like IEM's, which closes off a whole avenue of options. Please suggest to me some noise-cancelling headphones besides the Senn PXC series so that he doesn't buy this massive waste of money...

for getting rid of outside noises, i'm a fan of the Senn HD280 and the HD25 series.

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 7
There recently was a noise reduction headphones review on a dutch site.
It's no audiophile kind of review though (the Bose won).

The Bose was for the refined music lover (hehe), but for those who didn't want to spend that much on a piece of crap there are Logitech Noise Cancelling Headphones which happen to be more crap (they cancel out noise almost as well as bose, but the sound quallity is worse).

Bose 298 euro = 382 US dollar
Logitech 150 euro = 192 US dollar

http://frontpage.fok.nl/review/4385/1

I don't have any experience with noise canceling headphones so I can't really give you much advice. I would rather use ER-20 plugs (probably not an option for your dad, since he doesn't like IEMS) and use the rest of the money to get drunk
biggrin.gif

You try to get him to looks at well isolating headphones like DT 770M for instance, but don't know how well they keep outside noise out (probably doesn't stop high frequency noises, but I'll leave this for an expert to answer)

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Is he looking to spend as much as the QC's cost?

I'd recommend the Audio-Technica Ax00 series. Lots of bass oomph that most people will enjoy, nice big soundstage, and comfortable pleather earpads. Only downside is that they're kind of large.

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Is he looking to spend as much as the QC's cost?

I'd recommend the Audio-Technica Ax00 series. Lots of bass oomph that most people will enjoy, nice big soundstage, and comfortable pleather earpads. Only downside is that they're kind of large.

If he's willing to spend 500CAD on the POS Bose... he should be open to the A900 or something like that. And don't forget that the Bose has a batt-powered noise-reducing something or other which adds to the size too...

So far... A900, HD280/25-1... anything else?

I've been leaving Headroom's traveling headphone guide open on his laptop... hopefully he gets the hint to read it.

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff

If he wants to waste his money on the QCs, and won't listen to you, let him. It's his money that is being wasted, not yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back