Bose QuietComfort 20’s vs. Sennheiser Momentums?! Noise-Canceling vs. Noise-Isolating: FINAL WARS.
Aug 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 57
I gave in when a friend of mine told me he would be in the states this week. I asked him to bring me a pair (they're not out yet in europe).
I'm actually curious to their sound quality....

They're sure as hell not gonna beat my 4r's or come even close to it, but for train commuting I expect them to be fairly decent.

Will report back when I have them in a week or so.

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #17 of 57
Quote:
I gave in when a friend of mine told me he would be in the states this week. I asked him to bring me a pair (they're not out yet in europe).
I'm actually curious to their sound quality....

They're sure as hell not gonna beat my 4r's or come even close to it, but for train commuting I expect them to be fairly decent.

Will report back when I have them in a week or so.

Looking forward for your impressions... I just had some minutes with them, and was able to listen to only the 6-songs-iTouch available at the store. So, I can't really tell about the sound quality, except that it seems good with the songs provided. This means that they could sound "ok" or just decent with your own music.

I had enough time to notice that sound isolation though is better than QC3 or QC15, IMO, and sound cancellation is almost the same thing. Conclusion, the total effectiveness of those for blocking outside noise is better than the first two, again, IMO.

Embryonic only, but that's a start!

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 57
My pair arrived today and the noise cancelling of these really is better than anything I have ever owned. I have had high isolating IEM but they all have bone conduction noise which allowed in vibration noise from footfalls to bus/train/plane sounds not to mention the stuffy in ear pressure sound/feeling. Today I went for a walk and car noises were either gone completely or barely a whisper. The only sound I occasionally noticed was a bit of cable noise (less than my other IEM aside from my UE900). The silence was simply awesome, I could see wearing these with no music just for the silence.

music wise I want to spend some time with these before I do any heavy review/comparisons. For now I can say they sound like a good $100 dynamic IEM but not a great one. They certainly are not on par with a 2 or 3 hundred dollar IEM. but considering the obvious level of technology and design they have in them I think they justify their price tag for those needing what they offer for isolation and comfort. I think I will likely use these and my UE900 for office/transit purposes. I also am hoping they work for me when I sleep.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #19 of 57
Used these on the train and they were excellent there was still sound getting in but it was significantly reduce. Likewise the walk from the train was excellent in regards to cars as they were reduced to a whisper that was only their during quiet moments in songs.

BUT wind is still a bit of an issue. It's not as bad as the MDR1NC as that headphone actually enhanced wind noise but it is present. So for wind my UE900 is a better option.

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #21 of 57
I have read the battery life is good but will let you know after a couple days of use. So far I have mine running for at least 9 hrs so far.

these are comfortable as all get out so worked great in bed. I actually have a pillow that helps let me sleep on my side with earphones in. My CPAP machine make a constant shhhhhhh noise all night so blocking that out is worth the effort.

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #22 of 57
I have had these running for about 12hrs so far so think the 16hr claim is probably accurate.

I talked with my wife using these today while outside and the wind shear through the phone MIC was pretty severe so don't expect noise cancelling in this area.

I had a couple of headphone savvy co workers give these a try and in both cases they were astonished by the level of noise cancelling these do and both enjoyed the signature of the IEM. Personally I notice the more laid back lush nature of the sound compared to my UE900 but there is a difference of $100 and application design between them that makes me enjoy them both.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 57
I feel almost sorry that I bought QC3 some time ago. If only Bose would've made the QC20 sooner.

I will need to give them a better try. Meanwhile, maybe I'll create a new need for them!

As I read your posts, I realise we have pretty much the same brand taste, since I own a QC3 vs. your QC20, and I also have a UE6000 vs your UE900. Note that the UE6000's NC really is crap. But sound is delectable, both in passive and active mode.

BTW, thanks for your always-evolutive review.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #24 of 57
Glad you enjoy it :).

I have tried the UE6000 and liked their sound as well but their NC was that good as you know :). The UE900 is more detailed but also has less bass. It actually has pretty isolation.

I actually never thought I would buy a NC headphone as I have always felt I had good enough isolation with IEM's and did not want a full size headphone for that puprose (actually did try the MDRNC and returned them within 2 days). The thing with the QC20 is the Bose IE comfort combined with that unbelievable noise cancelling. If I am sitting still the UE900 trounces them but walking around, in the office, or any place public that NC is just so nice and I love the LACK of feeling like my ears are full.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #25 of 57
Ok, I have been using the QC20 almost exclusively since I got them. Tonight I went to take the dog for a walk, since I walk along a valley ridge I was concerned about possible wind noise so grabbed my UE900 as they have less wind noise. I slipped them in and barely reached the edge of my property before the sound of footfalls was driving me crazy (and the UE900 has good microphonics control!). I switched back to the QC20 and enjoyed the rest of my walk, slight wind noise with standing.

I have also allowed 3 fellow workers try these, all of who own varying quality gear ranging from AT M50, Denon HP700, Vsonic GR07. All 3 were blown away by the QC20. Once I hit the noise cancelling switch all 3 literally dropped their jaw in amazement and all 3 liked the sound quality and signature as well.

I am completely addicted to the comfort and silence and may settle on the Qc20 as my only portable IEM/headphone, using my full size gear for at home.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #26 of 57
Nice addition there. I can't concludes with anything else than : "these are really great". Now wait for the Bose-haters to discover this thread!

I switched back to the QC20 and enjoyed the rest of my walk

Seems an idiot question but, with music or NC only?

And, I imagine you've rubber-banded the battery pack to your device?

Oh, and BTW, I just read again the title of this thread... why the hell would we compare QC20 with Momentum?! So not the same categories of products, so not intended for the same target market! Noise-cancellings will ever be more effective than noise-isolatings. NCs also have an isolating property (might it be poor) by resting on/around your ear or obstructing your ear canal, in addition to its NC circuitry, while NIs only has isolating property (might it be very good). No fair fight here.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #27 of 57
I have another thread I started I might just rename to appreciation thread and then put in a full review and impressions. I actually wear shirts with a pocket to hold my phone so the battery pack doesn't bother me being loose. As for the Bose haters, well they will always exist so I will let them hate.

But I suspect Bose IEM's have never had much traction because of their lack of isolation as much as anything. The QC20 changes all that. They will never be accepted by the extreme bass lover, the extreme treble head, or those into the ultimate detail (if you have a player designed for lossless music with dedicated amps etc these won't be for you). But for those who want a well rounded sound experience with the best isolation and comfort combined and are willing to pay the price the QC20 can't be beat in my opinion.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #28 of 57
Well, I got them yesterday. I haven't gotten around to testing them very well, but some minor impressions are that the NC is indeed very good. They really do cancell the world out entirely. However, in quiet rooms with just one person talking (and no music on) you can hear people talk in a high pitched manner. The airconditioning was completely blocked out (as every other external noise), even without music on.

On the one hand, I've found the aware mode to be a bit unimpressive. I've hoped the algorithm would 'blend' the volume of the outer sound (person talking) in a volume matched manner with the music you're listening to. That doesn't seem to happen though. If I have my music on loud, I can't hear people speak with aware mode engaged. I'd had to turn my volume down to actually hear what they're saying.

On the soundquality; they're great. Like I stated earlier, the're sure as hell not gonna beat my 4R's, and they really don't. They're a universe or three apart. However, having said that, I do really enjoy the sound of the bose. I sure do miss some clarity and detail, and don't get me started on the highs or seperation, but the overall warm and lush sound is very engaging. Sometimes I wished for some extra treble or upper mid, but its'sound is thouroughly enjoyable. Combined with the NC and the awesome comfort (which is a big plus) these are a good deal imho.

I will listen more and will report back. If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I will see if I can answer...

Ohh yeah, and haters gonna hate. So that's that.

Regards,

Ric

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #29 of 57
I agree with you 100%, I also notice the difference in detail between these and the UE900 but their sound is good enough when you add in what Bose does best.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #30 of 57
Just got the QC20i's and am extremely impressed with the sound quality and astonished at the in-flight noise canceling/isolation. Not to mention the comfort and packaging. Though I have had a succession of Bose noise canceling headphones over the years (QC2, QC15) I stopped traveling with them due to their bulk. And I would never have judged either as being really audiophile quality.

The QC20i soft case is tiny (3" x 5") and weighs nothing, IEM's included, which initially motivated me to buy them. Plus initial mainstream reviews, all very, very positive. 

I just did an AB comparison in a quiet environment with my modest, though I think pretty well respected standard set up: an HRT microStreamer and RE-100's. The latter kit is a bit more neutral, maybe more detail in the middle and upper registers, but the Bose unit has a very smooth, stress-free sound and has a much stronger and firmer bass. I then tried the Bose unit through the microStreamer. Not sure why - maybe a circuit mismatch - but I prefer the Bose alone, analog in.

And on a plane, with their 45db noise canceling, they sound pretty much the same. That does it for me. And I get iPhone compatibility into the bargain (an issue with the very fine HRT unit).

Maybe not for everyone but these little guys deserve to be taken very seriously! 

PS: hiss? None to these 63 year old ears, but your age-related results may vary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back